Too many choices.... which shimano?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Too many choices.... which shimano?

Post by jbabin193 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:18 am

Okay guys, Last year i purchased six metaniums (2-XGs and 4-HG's) when the dollar was so strong against the yen. Well, that's not quite the case anymore and I still want some reels. Being the Met's have all dried up, with the exception of the new MGL, I've been evaluating other reels.

I kind of like some consistency and frequently switch reels to different rods, so I want more middle of the road reels. I've been looking at the Chronarch CI4 and the new Scorpion 70HG (and hopefully XG). With the introduction of the new Scorpion, does that make the Chronarch less appealing? They are very close in price. Are there things one reel will do and the other will not?

I definitely want a reel for dedicated punching, which I know the Chronarch would handle fine. The others would be more general use.

I might even consider adding some diawa's into the mix, but really not that familiar with the lineup.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Too many choices.... which shimano?

Post by IAY » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:56 am

Why not try out some Daiwa stuffs? I get bored fishing one brand. Their SV103 is very good value.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:57 am

The Scorpion is new so it will be getting a lot more hype right now. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Chronarch CI4+ either though.

I think it really depends on what you are planning on using this thing for. IMO, The CI4+ would tend to cover a few more techniques just because of the added amount of line it will hold. That would be my only concern.

They both weigh the same but the CI4+ seems to have a slight advantage in the drag department.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:32 am

I'll go against the grain and say try out a Lews Team Lite. It can hold its own in casting against any reel. It's also light and very small. I have one and it's every bit the equal of the Chronarch ci4(which I have as well) in casting but it's over half an oz lighter and the frame is aluminum.

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:35 am

Buy Daiwa. Love life.

The SV103 is good for the money, the TD-Z is a classic and so solid, a OG zillion would handle your heavy cover stuff really well. But seriously. If you want to stick to Shimano, the Chronarch is a solid reel, no complaints there
Last edited by maxpowers on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:38 am

^^what he said^^

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:46 pm

maxpowers wrote:Buy Daiwa. Love life.

The SV103 is good for the money, the TD-Z is a classic and so solid, a OG zillion would handle your heavy cover stuff really well. But seriously. If you want to stick to Shimano, the Chronarch is a solid reel, no complaints there

x3 add a curado if budget is low

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:03 pm

I've never used diawa's but I have used some of the higher end lew's and most of the US spec shimano's. My current favorite is the chronarch ci4 great reel can't go wrong with it.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:49 pm

I have small hands and still found the 50 size reels a bit awkward and small for retrieving reaction baits. I'm sure many others out there love them for these techniques, but it just didn't feel quite right to me.

On the other hand, for bottom contact where you are just picking up the slack, especially if you are making shorter casts by flipping or pitching, the small size of the reel is very nice to have better control over your bait, so for punching I would definitely lean toward the 70HG/XG

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:26 pm

Bootytrain wrote:I'll go against the grain and say try out a Lews Team Lite. It can hold its own in casting against any reel. It's also light and very small. I have one and it's every bit the equal of the Chronarch ci4(which I have as well) in casting but it's over half an oz lighter and the frame is aluminum.
I may need to try one of these out. Not crazy about the aesthetics, but sure seems like a lot of reel for the money especially at prices i'm seeing on ebay. Looks very comfortable to palm.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:27 pm

I was looking at the SV103, but was struggling with the weight of the reel. Seems really heavy in this day and age. Was also looking at the SS SV103.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:12 am

jbabin193 wrote:

I was looking at the SV103, but was struggling with the weight of the reel. Seems really heavy in this day and age. Was also looking at the SS SV103.
Price to pay for an aluminum reel. It will feel much more solid and connected than a magnesium or composite constructed reel.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:01 am

jbabin193 wrote:

Don't take too much importance in the overall weight of the reel. What matters is that your overall set up feels comfortable in your hand, and some rods need those heavier reels.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:05 am

jbabin193 wrote:

Don't take too much importance in the overall weight of the reel. What matters is that your overall set up feels comfortable in your hand, and some rods need those heavier reels.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:47 pm

Conquest 101hg sounds good :)

Just got mine today and took it out, didn't catch any fish but I did get some pictures of the sun set LOL.
Anyways, it casts like a dream and is SUPER smooth.

Just throwing out some options..