Daiwa Vs Shimano Spinning reels who's #1

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Vs Shimano Spinning reels who's #1

Post by Markanthony404 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:41 am

JWY wrote:I owned 5 Daiwa spinning reels - all recent models: Last gen magsealed Caldia 2506H, last gen ('13) Certate 2506H, 13' Cetate 2510R, 13' Certate 2510PE-H and 15' Morethan 2510R - they all have had issues: pre-mature wear of the drive or pinion gear, noise oscillation after a handful of use, stripped thread on the drag knob, etc. They are lovely to use when new, but same or similar issues kept on occurring. For example, I sent my Certate 2510R back to Japan twice in a year - both time due to pre-mature wear of the gearings (developed clicking sound).

What was wrong with the Morethan 2510R? I heard those are some of the best reels ever made because of the hyper digi-gear.

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Tue May 10, 2016 7:00 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
JWY wrote:I owned 5 Daiwa spinning reels - all recent models: Last gen magsealed Caldia 2506H, last gen ('13) Certate 2506H, 13' Cetate 2510R, 13' Certate 2510PE-H and 15' Morethan 2510R - they all have had issues: pre-mature wear of the drive or pinion gear, noise oscillation after a handful of use, stripped thread on the drag knob, etc. They are lovely to use when new, but same or similar issues kept on occurring. For example, I sent my Certate 2510R back to Japan twice in a year - both time due to pre-mature wear of the gearings (developed clicking sound).

What was wrong with the Morethan 2510R? I heard those are some of the best reels ever made because of the hyper digi-gear.
Main issue was stripped thread inside the drag knob - it was not expensive to replace but I was very disappointed that this problem can happen to an expensive reel with less than 4 mths light use. And followed by a pinion gear bearing failure, yes, despite the Magseal.

I loved the reel - the light and smooth lasted for a long time, and I have full confidence in the hyper-digigear (having owned 3 other reels with the marine bronze + stainless steel gearing). But it is the other parts that let me down i.e the drag knob, pinion bearing.

I would still recommend the Morethan to people who are interest in acquiring one though, but with added caution about what happened to mine. I sold it because I have a Stella C3000HG and a Rarenium 2500 that can take whatever I throw at them and I have owned them both for more than 4 yrs (with heavy use).

The Morethan series has a good reputation on durability. I have a friend who uses the old Morethan Branzino 3000 for jigging and as far as I know it is serving him very well.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue May 10, 2016 10:26 pm

If you're after performance and reliability, the SS Tournaments by Daiwa are still a serious contender, in spite of their almost 30 year old design. They do everything a spinner is supposed to do and they do it well.

You can hate all you want to about the lack of instant anti reverse, the alleged rotor wobble, the stem mounted bail trip (you should close the bail by hand anyhow [-X ) and that it's as sexy as a bowl of oatmeal - the fact remains that they're built like tanks and still hold their own quite well against modern reels of today.

I'll take the long cast spool, the X wrap line lay (perfect for braid) and the superior drag stack over aesthetics any day.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 11, 2016 12:40 am

lifeofRiley wrote:I got away from Daiwa spinning reels for only one reason but a big one. I've seen three different reels have the anti reverse consistently fail in cold weather conditions. If you ever want to fish in sub 40 degree weather I would go Shimano.
This could be a too heavy grease issue. A lighter grease or oil usually works better in the cold. This is funny because some of the older Shimano XTR mountain bike shifters are famous for sticking in the cold due to a poor choice of grease by Shimano. Having taken apart the Daiwa anti-reverse, I know it has small/tight tolerance parts and the wrong lube could probably spell problems.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 11, 2016 12:49 am

JWY wrote:
Markanthony404 wrote:

Main issue was stripped thread inside the drag knob - it was not expensive to replace but I was very disappointed that this problem can happen to an expensive reel with less than 4 mths light use. And followed by a pinion gear bearing failure, yes, despite the Magseal.

I loved the reel - the light and smooth lasted for a long time, and I have full confidence in the hyper-digigear (having owned 3 other reels with the marine bronze + stainless steel gearing). But it is the other parts that let me down i.e the drag knob, pinion bearing.

I would still recommend the Morethan to people who are interest in acquiring one though, but with added caution about what happened to mine. I sold it because I have a Stella C3000HG and a Rarenium 2500 that can take whatever I throw at them and I have owned them both for more than 4 yrs (with heavy use).

The Morethan series has a good reputation on durability. I have a friend who uses the old Morethan Branzino 3000 for jigging and as far as I know it is serving him very well.
I have used my old SS Daiwa's for inshore saltwater use here in SoCal. I often fish for spotted bay bass that don't get over five pounds and I'm sure that they don't get the workout that your reels do. I try not to fish spinning reels when I have the likelihood of catching something bigger because I know casting equipment is usually more durable. What do you think makes the Stella and Rarenium work better for you/last longer? Most of us on TT aren't putting our reels to the fullest test in saltwater and it would be nice to know.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed May 11, 2016 1:31 am

"I have used my old SS Daiwa's for inshore saltwater use here in SoCal. I often fish for spotted bay bass that don't get over five pounds and I'm sure that they don't get the workout that your reels do. I try not to fish spinning reels when I have the likelihood of catching something bigger because I know casting equipment is usually more durable. What do you think makes the Stella and Rarenium work better for you/last longer? Most of us on TT aren't putting our reels to the fullest test in saltwater and it would be nice to know."

The SS earned most of it's reputation among saltwater anglers more so than fresh water ... there are many here on the east coast who still use them for stripers and blues, both of which can put a hurting on a conventional reel as well as a spinner. The ratchet and pawl design of the anti reverse is inherently stronger than a needle bearing one way clutch. Perhaps a bit of overkill for fresh water, but a nice insurance policy for a potentially large aggressive salt water fish.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 11, 2016 1:59 am

uljersey wrote:"I have used my old SS Daiwa's for inshore saltwater use here in SoCal. I often fish for spotted bay bass that don't get over five pounds and I'm sure that they don't get the workout that your reels do. I try not to fish spinning reels when I have the likelihood of catching something bigger because I know casting equipment is usually more durable. What do you think makes the Stella and Rarenium work better for you/last longer? Most of us on TT aren't putting our reels to the fullest test in saltwater and it would be nice to know."

The SS earned most of it's reputation among saltwater anglers more so than fresh water ... there are many here on the east coast who still use them for stripers and blues, both of which can put a hurting on a conventional reel as well as a spinner. The ratchet and pawl design of the anti reverse is inherently stronger than a needle bearing one way clutch. Perhaps a bit of overkill for fresh water, but a nice insurance policy for a potentially large aggressive salt water fish.
A lot of the bass tournament guys in the southwest fished the SS 700 and 1300 reels in the 90's. I caught 15lb. and 22.8 pound catfish on back to back casts with 8lb. line while finesse fishing plastics for bass. Both fish had several long drag stripping runs, but I don't think I have caught a saltwater fish on these reels larger than a barely legal halibut. The SS 1600 always felt like it could catch a 30lb. Tuna when I handled it in the shop that I worked in. My kids have been dragging my SS reels around the backyard ponds lately. I tuned them up for my trip to the Eastern Sierras this week. I don't usually catch trout over 5 lbs.
Last edited by toddmc on Wed May 11, 2016 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Wed May 11, 2016 2:00 am

toddmc wrote:
JWY wrote:
Markanthony404 wrote:

I have used my old SS Daiwa's for inshore saltwater use here in SoCal. I often fish for spotted bay bass that don't get over five pounds and I'm sure that they don't get the workout that your reels do. I try not to fish spinning reels when I have the likelihood of catching something bigger because I know casting equipment is usually more durable. What do you think makes the Stella and Rarenium work better for you/last longer? Most of us on TT aren't putting our reels to the fullest test in saltwater and it would be nice to know.
Oh no, I just spent 30 mins replying to you but I timed out before I could send it. Let me recover from the heartbreak and maybe reply to you again during the weekend. :-({|=

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 11, 2016 2:21 am

JWY wrote:
toddmc wrote:
JWY wrote:
Markanthony404 wrote:

Oh no, I just spent 30 mins replying to you but I timed out before I could send it. Let me recover from the heartbreak and maybe reply to you again during the weekend. :-({|=
I hate when that happens.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:28 am

I've gotten into the habit of highlighting and copying the post before I click submit. So when it times out on me I can just paste and post. Too many heartbreaks forced me to learn.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Wed May 11, 2016 5:59 am

I just ordered a Ballistic EX 3000 this morning, so I will do a head to head comparison with the FK 4000 in two weeks 8-) I'll see who comes out on top!

Kurt

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Wed May 11, 2016 6:53 am

Kurt L wrote:I just ordered a Ballistic EX 3000 this morning, so I will do a head to head comparison with the FK 4000 in two weeks 8-) I'll see who comes out on top!

Kurt
Give us a longevity report also. My experience fishing drag more than 5 lbs on the Certate and Bradia is that the pinion gear bearing is the first to go. The pinion gear and main gear is fine but for some reason, the pinion gear bearing gets noisy and causes the oscillation noise that people hear. Old model is a simple fix but the newer Daiwas uses Magseal in anything spinning reel above $100.

The Ballistic EX 3000 has two bearings to support the pinion gear like Shimano X-Ship and the Ballistic also comes standard with Carbontex washers so hopefully it will hold up better to medium drag setting.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed May 11, 2016 7:06 am

toddmc wrote:
lifeofRiley wrote:I got away from Daiwa spinning reels for only one reason but a big one. I've seen three different reels have the anti reverse consistently fail in cold weather conditions. If you ever want to fish in sub 40 degree weather I would go Shimano.
This could be a too heavy grease issue. A lighter grease or oil usually works better in the cold. This is funny because some of the older Shimano XTR mountain bike shifters are famous for sticking in the cold due to a poor choice of grease by Shimano. Having taken apart the Daiwa anti-reverse, I know it has small/tight tolerance parts and the wrong lube could probably spell problems.
Its not just cold weather, Between myself and 2 buddys we have 6 sols and 2 steez that have anti reverse repeatedly fail. BUT fishing for smallies in shallow rocky rivers means beating the hell out of spinning reels by repeated buggy whipping snagged tubes and other plastics out of the rocks. I'm sure this contributed to the premature failure.

We switched to pflueger supreme xt spinners a few years ago with limited problems. We did have one trip on a cold snowy November day a couple years ago where the anti reverse on the supremes started to act up. And like you mentioned, this was do to the thick lube and all 4 reels have been flawless since a cleaning and Relube.

Matt

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:45 am

A friend of mine had a 2500 Ballistic for a little while but he much preferred his Stradic CI4+. Using it for bull red fishing, it was just not as smooth and powerful as the Stradic. It also had terrible problems with wind knots and that will ruin a day of fishing quickly. He now uses a Shimano 14 ARC AERO CI4+ 3000 and it's a sweet reel. That spool really bombs a cast out there and it holds plenty of line. Never hear of anyone using these since they are labeled as surf reels but they are lightweight and pretty small.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed May 11, 2016 10:22 am

ss30378 wrote:I've gotten into the habit of highlighting and copying the post before I click submit. So when it times out on me I can just paste and post. Too many heartbreaks forced me to learn.
X2 Or open up a file in Office and do your typing there then cut-and-paste it. I've accidently opened another site up on the page while searching for information to use in my post. Depending on where you are, you may or may not get your work back. I've lost a half hour of compiling that way. When it's late at night, I might just say to heck with it.