Daiwa Vs Shimano Spinning reels who's #1

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Vs Shimano Spinning reels who's #1

Post by smalljaw » Wed May 18, 2016 6:39 am

I've used so many different reels over they years and the only thing that I can say about this is I'd never get another Shimano Spinning reel. Over the course of almost 40 years of fishing the only reel that I ever had that outright failed was a Shimano Symetre, and not one but two! The older Stradics had a name in my area, "Shimbindo" because they would bind up when wet and so the Symetre was my way of saying I had enough of the binding problem that a different, less expensive reel was the order. Then my heart sank as the first Symetre the bail failed, I thought it was a spring but it was a different problem and the guy I took it too had to order parts, so while I waited on parts I got another as I had a tournament coming up and that reel lasted a little longer, a whole month and the bearings went bad, that was the end of the Shimano spinning reels. I have 2 Daiwa Tierra spinning reels and they have been used hard and still fish like new with a great drag, never an issue with Daiwa, now if they could make an aluminum frame casting reel under 7oz that is in the $250 range I'd be happy.

Gloomis34
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gloomis34 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:51 am

I choose shimano. I have been using shimano reels ever since I was really little the first reel that got me hooked on them was the spirex it was the smoothest reel I ever owned I dropped it in the water, on rocks, abused it and I never had an issue with it. Now currently I have 3 Stella's a C2000hgs, C2500HGS, and a 2500hgs I have a 1000 stradic fj and I have a new 2016 vanquish C2500hgs on its way. My Stella c2000hgs I dropped on a rock a couple times because I slipped, but the reel only have a couple really small nicks everything works perfectly as it has before. Also a couple years back I had another incident where I fell and my 2500 sustain fe I had at the time smashed and fell on a bunch of rocks while fishing the Susquehanna river and it held up no broken bearing no broken anything. Other brands I feel just won't hold up as well.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Daiwa Spinning reels are fantastic and they hold up great to all kinda of abuse, I have a Daiwa lexa and freams both in the 2000 sizes and use them for finesse Saltwater game (Aussie yellowfin bream, cos its where I live) and they hold up great, my friend has a 2000 Daiwa Aird reel and caught a nice big 10+kg Jewfish on it (also saltwater lightgame) and its still going strong. Just proves that Daiwa is the brand to use (and no i am not payed to say this nor am i sponsored).

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun May 29, 2016 1:49 am

Well when I started this post I was having issues with my new FK4000 it is now at Shimano Warranty center and it's replacement a Daiwa Ballistic 3000EX has had some time on the water and so far so good! with several fish on the bank and one good one on the bank and it was a hot one lots of fast runs, jumping and bull dogging in the current. The drag is spectacular, the best out of the box I've found, lots of cranking power, and the rotor is very light so you feel everything through the handle. After decades of Stradics at this point I say it is a step up from the FK... durability to be determined though! Our Salmon runs are just starting so the durability will be tested soon :mrgreen:

Kurt

FrankTheRabbit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankTheRabbit » Mon May 30, 2016 12:25 am

Pretty much been a Shimano user for many years. I've tried the less expensive route by purchasing a Rapala Type-R spinning reel. I got into a few salmon and held up well, until one day, the stem broke. I think there was too much stress put into that particular point and the stem snapped. I sent it in and they gave a full store credit. I used that credit to purchase a Pflueger Supreme XT. Really nice real, magnesium body (6.x oz reel!), smooth drag, except there was this annoying clicking noise whenever I reeled in.

I ended up acquiring a 2011 TwinPower 2500s. Though I'd give the shallow spool a try, but I still miss the line capacity for casting out far. But the reel has been so smooth that I've overlooked the minor annoyance of line capacity. It's a great reel...a tad on the heavier side (8.8oz). My Stradic FJ has been holding up pretty well too. That Xship tech is definitely no gimmick! :)

I also have a question: Does anyone have any recommendation on a Made in Japan Shimano reel with Xship that weighs less than 8 oz., that's not a Stella? I've been looking and looking. I looked at the Rarenium, Exsence, Soare, no dice. The only Xship reel that's still Made in Japan has been Twinpowers & Stellas. Perhaps, I've missed one so I've come here for some suggestions.

Thanks.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:10 am

Well the FK showed up from warranty repair Saturday so I spooled it up and hit the river, third cast I hooked up with a small King Salmon about 12lbs, 30 seconds or so into the battle the anti-reverse failed and it freewheeled backwards, I stopped it and then it did it again moments later both times it completely freewheeled no anti-reverse at all until I stopped it then it would hold.
The service department was fast and fixed the knocking but I obviously have a Monday morning reel. So I oiled the one way bearing with a couple of drops of Bantam oil to soften the grease that should fix that.
But it is soon finding a new home :roll: I'm done with it. I just ordered a new Sustain and will move on. :mrgreen:
By the way the Daiwa Ballistic is still doing very well! It will be interesting to see how well it compares to the Sustain.

Kurt