What Ever Happen To Quantum?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What Ever Happen To Quantum?

Post by Somerdink » Fri May 13, 2016 4:25 am

Hey guys I posted this on BBC, I know some belong to that site as well. Just want to hear what tackle tour members have to say as well. Probably within the last 6 or so years Quantum has like fell of the face of the planet basically. They don't get much hype anymore other then what G-Man, KVD and Hackney. At one time you could probably say they where part of the big three Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum, every since Abu brought out the revo line and Lews came back into play they just went for the crapper. Now I know TW quit carring there rods other then the KVD line cabelas and bps only seem to be the legit players in there products but them seem to drop products quick. Whats everybody's thoughts not trying to start a pissing match just kinda what to hear what everyone else thinks.

Ryan

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What Ever Happen To Quantum?

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri May 13, 2016 4:30 am

I believe Quantum started to spend to much time trying to make their products look "cool", and not enough time making their products "quality".

As a result I've never used a good Quantum rod, and every Quantum reel I've used (bc and especially spinning) were horrid!

Quantum Response TI was the single worst reel I've ever used.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri May 13, 2016 6:28 am

I think Quantum got caught up in the whole "lightest baitcaster" deal, and got away from their best baitcaster, the original Smoke 100, when they came out with their EXO lineup. Their EXO reels were great, but they gave up external cast controls and went to aluminum gears that didn't hold up.
They seem to have a good lineup now.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri May 13, 2016 6:52 am

While Quantum may have been a larger presence in the past, they were complete garbage for a long time until the PT reels started coming out. I guess they had lots of bucks to throw at people for sponsorship because lots of pros used them, but they never held a candle to Shimano and Daiwa. In general, they're much better now than they were when they were more popular.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Fri May 13, 2016 6:52 am

Somerdink wrote:At one time you could probably say they where part of the big three Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum
How many decades ago are we talking about here?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 13, 2016 7:11 am

389Maverick wrote:
Somerdink wrote:At one time you could probably say they where part of the big three Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum
:lol:

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Fri May 13, 2016 9:22 am

I still own and like my Quantum reels. I have a Catalyst pt(orange one) that just won't quit, the smoke 151 can be a bit wild with casts but manageable and it feels great in my hand. One of my favorite rods ever is the Tour PT 745FGS, it's such an awesome topwater rod and we'll balanced. Of course I always wait for the model I want to go on clearance because you can almost always get them for 50% off retail when they do.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Fri May 13, 2016 9:24 am

389Maverick wrote:
Like a long time ago :lol:. I should say talked about more with the big two considering they were thebonly ones to offer low profile reels along with shimano and daiwa. I use all shimano and wont do a switch over by any means but i see them blowing exos out for 149 bucks on flea bay and it really got me thinking about whats really going on with them

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri May 13, 2016 9:59 am

I stopped caring about Quantum years ago when their reels would only last a season and then start feeling geary. At this point I am not interested what they have had, currently have, and will offer in the future. I am more than satisfied as to what both Daiwa and Shimano offers at various price points.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri May 13, 2016 1:01 pm

MaxZmus wrote:I still own and like my Quantum reels. I have a Catalyst pt(orange one) that just won't quit, the smoke 151 can be a bit wild with casts but manageable and it feels great in my hand. One of my favorite rods ever is the Tour PT 745FGS, it's such an awesome topwater rod and we'll balanced. Of course I always wait for the model I want to go on clearance because you can almost always get them for 50% off retail when they do.
Never used one of their reels. I do have a 6'10" HF in both Tour Edition and Superlite models. Like you I got them at ridiculously low prices. I enjoy both of them a lot. Nice rods.

EDIT: Almost forgot my 7' MF Smoke. Handle is a bit shorter than I like, but the grip makes up for it by being the most comfortable of the rods I own. Other than the short handle it is a very good rod and I wouldn't mind having another one or two.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:53 am

389Maverick wrote:
Never heard of them!! Are they made on another planet or somewhere they are the only ones made?

Jeff

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat May 14, 2016 3:58 am

I have the older Catalyst that is orange and a Smoke 150 which I think was the best reel Quantum made but both are fine and have been. The Smoke 150 that I have gets used more than my 2nd generation Revo Premier, and I paid less for it, both are great reels but the Quantum is actually better for me as the brake system on the 150 is easier to use and lets me dial in quickly.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun May 15, 2016 8:19 pm

I didn't care to publicly confess to owning a Quantum reel way back when, but I will, solely for the thread's purpose.
We all have our secrets! 8-[

I don't even remember the model name, thinking Energy, but I could be wrong.
It was at a time when Shimano was offering the Bantam B's.

That being said, the frame broke halfway through the season, minimal wear, I'm not hard on my gear either.
Never looked back, never touched a Quantum reel since.
Granted, any reel can break, but this seems to be a generalized fact when it comes to Quantum.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:46 am

389Maverick wrote:I didn't care to publicly confess to owning a Quantum reel way back when, but I will, solely for the thread's purpose.
We all have our secrets! 8-[

I don't even remember the model name, thinking Energy, but I could be wrong.
It was at a time when Shimano was offering the Bantam B's.

That being said, the frame broke halfway through the season, minimal wear, I'm not hard on my gear either.
Never looked back, never touched a Quantum reel since.
Granted, any reel can break, but this seems to be a generalized fact when it comes to Quantum.
I have one and only one, and still have it. It's a Quantum Incyte 20 spinner. It was my first reel purchase and I thought it was insanely expensive at $60. I still have it on a Fenwick Elitetech Smallmouth ML rod for a loaner. It's actually held up pretty good, but its definitely outclassed in my lineup now. :lol:

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon May 16, 2016 12:56 am

Teal101 wrote: ...and still have it...
That hurts Ryan, on to the foe list you go.