Which Baitcast reels for inshore fishing???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which Baitcast reels for inshore fishing???

Post by chreim20 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:28 pm

Hey guys,

I'm going on a saltwater fishing trip, mostly fishing inshore, and was wondering what baitcast reels you guys use? I have never fished saltwater, only freshwater, and was wondering if I needed to purchase a inshore specific reel or could I just use my bass fishing reels which are mostly Shimano. Any input would be appreciated!

Christian

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Which Baitcast reels for inshore fishing???

Post by Randingo » Thu May 19, 2016 1:50 am

As long as it has the capacity you need for your intended species, most any non-magnesium reel should do. Some will point out that you can use magnesium as well, and they're right as long as you thoroughly clean the reel (something you should do regardless). I say don't use magnesium until you're familiar with the basic process you should go through after using a reel in the salt. And btw, you'll want a reel with a strong, smooth drag for the larger, stronger fish you're likely to encounter.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu May 19, 2016 2:08 am

I think you need to have good line capacity, too, if you're going to use lighter line and lighter rods.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu May 19, 2016 2:40 am

I think most will be OK as long as you rinse it off afterwards.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu May 19, 2016 3:36 am

Bootytrain wrote:I think most will be OK as long as you rinse it off afterwards.
Fish-rinse-dismantle (just take out the spool)-dry-repeat...
I use my baitcasters for inshore fishing, but normally pick non-magnesium cheaper reels for saltwater. If they do corrode, I can live with it.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:31 am

Thanks guys for the info. I guess I'll just use my Shimano Chronarch 200e6 with a falcon bucoo rod, 7' mh action. It's my cheapest gear I have. I will probably only fish a couple of times a year in the salt so I'll rinse my gear off good and when I get home I'll break down the reel and service it. If anyone else has other suggestions to rods and reels they use, would love to hear it!

Christian

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Thu May 19, 2016 7:12 am

Just curious, but what will you be fishing for? Might give us some direction on what to recommend :D

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 am

When I go to SC for vacation I fish inshore for reds, flounder and trout. I take my usual spinning reels and a couple of casting combos. I take an alphas sv with omen black rod and an exsence dc on carbonlite. I take cheaper rods because I'm not concerned about breaking one. I always rinse of the combos everyday and then they get a complete cleaning and lube when I get home.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu May 19, 2016 11:44 am

Your chronarch e series will be fine. Most shimano baitcasters go well in the salt. I service reels in north Queensland / Australia in an area where saltwater estuary fishing dominates and the Shimanos go very well. Daiwa Tatulas are salt magnets and it is quite common to have ruined pinion bearings in them ( need to be oiled after every trip) i run Ryoga's and never have problems.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Thu May 19, 2016 2:15 pm

Depends on the target fishes. For a ton of inshore stuff, pretty much any bass setup will work well. For others you will probably want at least a 200 size baitcaster or 2500 size spinning reel paired with at least a MH rod. For stuff beyond that, you may need to consider some actual inshore/saltwater gear.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:39 am

Any reels used for bass will work inshore, as long as your not trying to catch tarpon or large snook. I fish flats a lot and target reds, trout and flounder mainly, but always end up hooking into something a whole lot bigger. I use a Chronarch CI4 HG and a Metanium XG. I prefer the Ch. but the Met. works great for its uses. I haven't had any issues with cranking power, drag or line capacity. Maintanence is key. If you neglect it even a little, it could be to late, which is why I don't use more than 1 or 2 reels at a time in the salt. Makes keeping up with them a whole lot easier. For rods, any Medium powered, fast action rod should cover pretty much all the bases. I use NRX 852 for jigs, and NRX 842 for all treble hook baits and jigs. Never felt underpowered for the fish I was fighting.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:03 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Any reels used for bass will work inshore, as long as your not trying to catch tarpon or large snook. I fish flats a lot and target reds, trout and flounder mainly, but always end up hooking into something a whole lot bigger. I use a Chronarch CI4 HG and a Metanium XG. I prefer the Ch. but the Met. works great for its uses. I haven't had any issues with cranking power, drag or line capacity. Maintanence is key. If you neglect it even a little, it could be to late, which is why I don't use more than 1 or 2 reels at a time in the salt. Makes keeping up with them a whole lot easier. For rods, any Medium powered, fast action rod should cover pretty much all the bases. I use NRX 852 for jigs, and NRX 842 for all treble hook baits and jigs. Never felt underpowered for the fish I was fighting.

Thanks for the info! Some people have been telling me to get a medium heavy power rod, what is your take on that? Do you think it's overkill? I think the biggest fish I could catch would probably be a red fish, but then again, this is new to me. I know i'll be inshore, that's about it.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon May 23, 2016 9:44 am

For me, a rod has four basic functions.
It needs to be able to cast the bait you want to throw. Lighter baits mean you'll need a lighter action rod so the light bait can still load the rod on the cast.
It needs to be able to set the hook that you're using. If you're using lighter line and a smaller hook, you can just reel set, but, with heavier line and a bigger hook, you need to be able to make a good hookset, to get the hook into the fish's mouth.
It needs to be able to handle whatever fish you catch. If you're fishing open water, a lighter rod is okay. If you're fishing around thick cover, the rod needs to be able to control the fish, and pull and keep it out of the cover.
It needs to fight the fish back to the boat so you can land it, without the fish coming off.
Make yourself a check list of what you want to use the rod for, and how, and then try and find a rod that will let you do that.
Trying out a rod that someone else owns is a good way to get a feel for what works for you.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:01 pm

mark poulson wrote:For me, a rod has four basic functions.
It needs to be able to cast the bait you want to throw. Lighter baits mean you'll need a lighter action rod so the light bait can still load the rod on the cast.
It needs to be able to set the hook that you're using. If you're using lighter line and a smaller hook, you can just reel set, but, with heavier line and a bigger hook, you need to be able to make a good hookset, to get the hook into the fish's mouth.
It needs to be able to handle whatever fish you catch. If you're fishing open water, a lighter rod is okay. If you're fishing around thick cover, the rod needs to be able to control the fish, and pull and keep it out of the cover.
It needs to fight the fish back to the boat so you can land it, without the fish coming off.
Make yourself a check list of what you want to use the rod for, and how, and then try and find a rod that will let you do that.
Trying out a rod that someone else owns is a good way to get a feel for what works for you.
Everything you've said makes perfect sense. I think I need to start off with a medium rod I suppose. I plan on throwing super spook jr's, d.o.a. shrimp, rapala x raps, a popping cork with a soft plastic, and some sort of soft jerkbait. If you have any suggestions on some lures for first time inshore fishing, please share, you've been very helpful so far! Also, do you think my GLX 842C mag bass rod could handle a redfish?

Thanks again!
Christian

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:42 pm

You seem to have all the bases covered with your lure selection. Zoom Flukes and SK caffeine shade both work great around grass and oysters rigged weedless. Hard jerkbaits work very well in the salt, and a green back Xrap 08 is hard to beat. A 7' medium powered rod is the normal setup around here, and will handle all the baits mentioned. If you have a lot of structure around, then a MH might be needed, but if it's open grass flats or oyster beds, then a M is a lot more fun. The GLX 842 is a little stiffer and more powerful than the NRX 842 so I have no doubt it would be a great rod for inshore use.