Buying new reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Buying new reel

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:40 pm

I'm trying to decide between a met mgl, a Daiwa sv103, or a quantum smoke. Any advice?

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Buying new reel

Post by Draethe84 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:49 pm

I would go with the SV103, darn love those OG Zillions.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:05 pm

MGL

I didn't know that Quantum was still making reels.....or is this an old used one or NOS? LOL

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:32 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:I'm trying to decide between a met mgl, a Daiwa sv103, or a quantum smoke. Any advice?
First off, just forget about the quantum :P

New mgl and sv103 are both amazing reels. Id honestly have trouble picking between them. The mgl looks awesome, but i like the sv103 spool options.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:05 pm

The MGL will be my next reel purchase when Digitaka has them in stock.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:29 pm

I agree with just forgetting about Quantum and especially the Smoke. I don't even think the Smoke is made anymore. Tackle warehouse only seems to have the inshore model.

I'd lean towards the MGL only because I am a Shimano guy but it would be good to know what you plan on using it for.

The SV103 feels pretty sweet actually but it is a lot heavier than the MGL will be. Other than that, I really don't think you can go wrong with either.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Rod? What use?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:08 pm

SV103 all day long. Unless you get the Metanium DC :lol:

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:08 am

MGL all day and twice on Sunday. I don't have SV103 but I have the SS SV 103 and the MGL eats it's lunch. I don't imagine the SV 103 is going to perform that much differently.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:02 am

Most all my reels are all purpose. Looking to spool with either 20lb. Nylon or 65 braid and flip jigs, throw buzzbaits or maybe a frog. Rod would be a 7 foot mh avid or a 7 6 mh mod legend tournament. Not sure if the sv103 could handle line capacity to bomb a frog on 65PE?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:14 am

Bootytrain wrote:MGL all day and twice on Sunday. I don't have SV103 but I have the SS SV 103 and the MGL eats it's lunch. I don't imagine the SV 103 is going to perform that much differently.
Actually, it does.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:47 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:MGL all day and twice on Sunday. I don't have SV103 but I have the SS SV 103 and the MGL eats it's lunch. I don't imagine the SV 103 is going to perform that much differently.
Actually, it does.
How different? And what advantages would the SV103 have over the MGL? It would have to significantly outcast the SS SV to approach the MGL, or even the 13 Met.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:05 am

The only advantages I can see is that the SV 103 has that extensive list of spool options from finesse, to all around, to long casting. For a guy with these spools lying around he can be pretty versatile. However from my understanding the MGL is more of light to mid weight lure casting machine but not so impressive with heavier baits.

I would also imagine that SV spools respond differently to the magnets and such in the reel. Put an SV spool in a steeze vs a TDZ may give the user different results. The general idea of SV is supposed to be more control and less fear of backlash. With that said I am sure everyone's mileage may vary.

Last year I dropped a SV spool into an Alphas with HH bearings. I put 12# big game mono on it and was able to spool the reel with a practice casting plug. I put the same plug on the same rod with a Curado 50e that had been supertuned with abec 7 bearings. The Alphas with a SV spool beat in in distance by 10-15 feet after measuring the best 5 casts of each against each other. Impressed I bought an Alphas SV 105 and put the same plug on it. Its casting distance was the worst of the 3. It had that stuck inductor issue. After a friend helped remedy the issue it started casting better but the distance was the least of the 3 reels. Perhaps some extra mechanical work and bearings would have helped that reel. Just an example of how not any two reels may perform the same despite sharing the same spool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:20 am

Bootytrain wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Actually, it does.
How different? And what advantages would the SV103 have over the MGL? It would have to significantly outcast the SS SV to approach the MGL, or even the 13 Met.
I don't know what advantages it could have over an Mgl. Don't own one. The 103 differs from the SS in the braking profile isn't so strong and it doesn't feel like a toy. It can throw the lighter stuff, it can throw the heavier stuff. And even though the braking profile isn't as strong the spool stays under control with every bait I've swung, roll cast, side arm, a fling, doesn't seem to matter. Distance is also far from lacking. Even Ian has high praises. It's a great reel and by far the most versatile stock reel I've used in some time. At any rate I really want a new Steez SV TW, but I've always told myself I wouldn't spend that much on a reel. So my next reel purchase will be an Mgl. I think it looks glorious.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:09 pm

the hooligan wrote:
lifeofRiley wrote:I'm trying to decide between a met mgl, a Daiwa sv103, or a quantum smoke. Any advice?
First off, just forget about the quantum :P
X2

I've tried to like quantum, they make some nice looking products. Quantum's will break down when they are fished hard. I probably will sound like everyone else on here but just buy daiwa or shimano.