Terrible Chinese knock off reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Terrible Chinese knock off reels

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu May 30, 2019 9:02 am

Johnny A wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:16 am
This is why the big players in the game should give some thought to quality tackle at knock off prices. We know better and might pick something like this just for giggles. Someone new to the sport, doesn't know any better and gets nothing but aggravation for their money.
There are several tackle manufacturers associations. It's never bad business to reach out and educate.
Why should say Shimano and Daiwa do that? Daiwa dipped the Doyo platforms, but didnt really try to mark it Daiwa priced, but rather priced like a Doyo should be. I think the education should be on the consumer. People dont really educate themselves about what they buy. Its the consumers own fault, nobody elses.
<")))><{

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu May 30, 2019 5:40 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:02 am
Johnny A wrote:
This is why the big players in the game should give some thought to quality tackle at knock off prices. We know better and might pick something like this just for giggles. Someone new to the sport, doesn't know any better and gets nothing but aggravation for their money.
There are several tackle manufacturers associations. It's never bad business to reach out and educate.
Why should say Shimano and Daiwa do that? Daiwa dipped the Doyo platforms, but didnt really try to mark it Daiwa priced, but rather priced like a Doyo should be. I think the education should be on the consumer. People dont really educate themselves about what they buy. Its the consumers own fault, nobody elses.
Didn't say the consumer shouldn't self-educate. A parent who wants to take a kid fishing shouldn't need a doctorate to do so. A company could do a flash card as to what reel goes with what rod with what line with what tackle. I said, it would be wise for manufacturers to consider offering quality tackle at more reasonable prices. Doesn't have to be $100 reel with the features of an Antares, Conquest, Steez or Exist.
Tackle stores could also hire people who know which end of the rod to hold and how to tie a knot.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 31, 2019 2:33 am

Johnny A wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:40 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
Didn't say the consumer shouldn't self-educate. A parent who wants to take a kid fishing shouldn't need a doctorate to do so. A company could do a flash card as to what reel goes with what rod with what line with what tackle. I said, it would be wise for manufacturers to consider offering quality tackle at more reasonable prices. Doesn't have to be $100 reel with the features of an Antares, Conquest, Steez or Exist.
Tackle stores could also hire people who know which end of the rod to hold and how to tie a knot.
Definitely true about the tackle store employees. You should see the fishing department down here at Bass Pro. Lol.
<")))><{

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri May 31, 2019 3:52 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:33 am
Johnny A wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:40 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
Definitely true about the tackle store employees. You should see the fishing department down here at Bass Pro. Lol.
Many years ago I worked in the hunting/fishing dept of a big box sporting goods place. They had their secret shopper program. I can't even say it was well-intentioned because the focus wasn't on assistance or product knowledge. It was all about the up-sale.
But back to a Buyer's Guide for a moment, a laminated, double sized, index card at each end of aisle. But that's just one quick thought.