Beware of Shimano "Warranty"

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Beware of Shimano "Warranty"

Post by paulito » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:58 am

What happened to the great shimano warranty that we all rave about. My previous encounter with them made me very wary of buying another product. I like to go into the shimano service center and speak with the customer service regarding any problems and issues I have with my reels. It is 70 miles away, but I make the drive so I can speak with them face to face to make a honest impression between people and as a business to a customer relationship.

My reel was making rasping noises and the anti-reverse gave out. I only had the reel for around 9 months and went in with my receipt. I was asked by a young worker who attended to me, whose name I will leave out, whether I opened the reel or not. I started to talk about warranty and he stopped me mid-sentence and smirked as if I had admitted wrongdoing and told me that the warranty is void if I open the reel up. He said the warranty is only viable if I get it serviced at a shimano certified repair shop. I never knew about this, nor does shimano's warranty information state this :

"No, Shimano’s limited 1 year warranty covers non-conformance determined to have occurred during the manufacturing and/or design process. Damages determined to have occurred due to neglect, accident, or normal wear and tear are not covered under the limited warranty, but may be serviced for a specific fee."

Of the many reels I own, I have only used this reel about 10 times, maybe about 30 hrs, too few to say that I have really put use into it.
I had initially taken the reel in 2 months prior to get it checked out and was offered "free servicing" by a man named Nate, who said he would break it down and bring everything up to good working order. I said that I would bring it next time since I wanted to make sure there was something that I could not fix myself (greasing drag material, cleaning all components, making sure grease did not get into the antireverse). I took it apart and cleaned everything and found that the noise was still the same and the antireverse failed randomly when working a jerkbait. So I took it in. It was really really, nicely put, aggravating to hear that guy tell me the warranty was void because I opened up the reel. I did not use it after I opened it up, The problems from before persisted after cleaning and existed prior to me opening it up. Why do I suddenly feel like I have to beg for warranty? Why have I never heard that I cannot open up the reel if I want warranty? Isn't warranty a guarantee of the product being free of defects? I want to know why my reel is making noises and the antireverse fails beyond normal wear and use?

Guys am I asking too much of warranty? Should warranty be void if we open up our new reels to make sure everything is greased and lubed properly (which I have not found it to be for many of the new reels I receive). If we do not open up our reels, how can we claim that the damage was done by manufacturing of the reel apart from customer abuse?

Most of warranty comes with trust and a honest relationship between customer and business. I feel as though my honest request was rejected by a false claim that warranty is void if we open up the reel. This is also contradictory to the reel servicing and cleaning directions that Shimano posts on their website.

TT I am not someone trying to pinch pennies, I just want to know my rights to warranty which I was guaranteed when I bought the reel. I will and have gladly paid for services for issues I have had with reels in the past. What is your take on this?

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Beware of Shimano "Warranty"

Post by Kurt L » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:33 am

That's a bummer, I have been treated very well by Shimano's parts department (Even though they have sent me the wrong part a couple of times) and warranty centers so far but I have an FK going back in for the second time now. I know what you mean too about under lubed reels, I have had guest walk up to me and say "dude your reel is toast!" (Stradics fresh out of the box with almost zero grease in them!) I bought two Ci4+ last year that both locked up on me almost immediately on there first use one day apart luckily I always have a second reel in my vest, I lubed them through the maintenance port and they were back in action and smooth as butter. I would hate to have my warranty voided over that!
But Shimano has always done me right, although some of there products revisions have been a step backwards and I have lost some cash on getting rid of them!, we do have action sites to be able to back up a revision and make it all good again with a solid product.
Living in Alaska the fact that I can get on line and get the parts I need to keep reels going at the peak of the season is priceless to me and will keep me a Shimano customer! I sampled some Daiwa product this year (also going back for warranty) and I found I cannot get the parts as easily. I just ordered a more Shimano reels.

Kurt

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:56 am

Sorry to hear about this.

I have been using Shimano reels for 20+ years and I've only ever had to deal with their customer service once. I bought a new Stradic and the spool would fall off if I turned the reel upside down. Turns out someone in assembly forgot a part. Shimano sent me a paid FedEx return label the day after telling them the issue. I sent my defective reel in and I had a brand new one at my door step in about a week or two.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:44 am

Hard to imagine voiding a warranty for a clean and relube. Wonder if that's just his interpretation or actual policy?

I would think the least Shimano would do is open and inspect reel for improper use or owner/operator error before voiding anything.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:08 am

Maybe you could post this in the Shimano support forum and Bantam can give some advise or clarification.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:57 am

johnnybassboat wrote:Maybe you could post this in the Shimano support forum and Bantam can give some advise or clarification.
Bantam is no longer on the forum

Which model reel is it

nativefloridian
Angler
Angler

Post by nativefloridian » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:19 am

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:24 pm

fishingandfords wrote:
johnnybassboat wrote:Maybe you could post this in the Shimano support forum and Bantam can give some advise or clarification.
Bantam is no longer on the forum

Which model reel is it
Where you been Brian ? The great news is that Bantam1 is back

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:51 pm

It was just a curado 201i. Thing is I have conquests and metaniums and I am so angry that the kid lied to me and told me that if unless I get it serviced at a shimano certified shop the warranty is void. :evil: :evil: just plain evil.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:13 am

paulito wrote:
My reel was making rasping noises and the anti-reverse gave out. I only had the reel for around 9 months and went in with my receipt. I was asked by a young worker who attended to me, whose name I will leave out, whether I opened the reel or not. I started to talk about warranty and he stopped me mid-sentence and smirked as if I had admitted wrongdoing and told me that the warranty is void if I open the reel up. He said the warranty is only viable if I get it serviced at a shimano certified repair shop. I never knew about this, nor does shimano's warranty information state this.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience but i kind of understand why shimano does this. A lot of people that take apart thier reels are not qualified to do so. Im not saying your not. I used to work at a reel repair shop and we would always get in reels that were put together wrong or brought in a zip lock bag with parts eveywhere. From now on dont service yout reels for a year, or next time just tell a white lie that you never opened it. :evil:

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
paulito wrote:
My reel was making rasping noises and the anti-reverse gave out. I only had the reel for around 9 months and went in with my receipt. I was asked by a young worker who attended to me, whose name I will leave out, whether I opened the reel or not. I started to talk about warranty and he stopped me mid-sentence and smirked as if I had admitted wrongdoing and told me that the warranty is void if I open the reel up. He said the warranty is only viable if I get it serviced at a shimano certified repair shop. I never knew about this, nor does shimano's warranty information state this.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience but i kind of understand why shimano does this. A lot of people that take apart thier reels are not qualified to do so. Im not saying your not. I used to work at a reel repair shop and we would always get in reels that were put together wrong or brought in a zip lock bag with parts eveywhere. From now on dont service yout reels for a year, or next time just tell a white lie that you never opened it. :evil:
This is true, ive messed things up from just doing a drag.star and handle swap before. Theres plenty of posts on other forums where guys tried to service their own reels and when they put them back together they screwed something up.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:42 am

I'm pretty sure requiring all service be done by the original manufacturer or you void the warranty is against federal law. I know it is on motorcycles and cars thanks to the Magnusson Moss act. If a company decides to deny warranty due to negligent work done by someone else they have to prove that is the cause of the issue, simply opening it up a non sealed item would not cause an issue.

I can only speak to cars and motorcycles but considering the ruling was on warranties NOT the item warrantied I bet it applies. I am no lawyer and YMMV.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:13 am

toporanger wrote:I'm pretty sure requiring all service be done by the original manufacturer or you void the warranty is against federal law. I know it is on motorcycles and cars thanks to the Magnusson Moss act. If a company decides to deny warranty due to negligent work done by someone else they have to prove that is the cause of the issue, simply opening it up a non sealed item would not cause an issue.

I can only speak to cars and motorcycles but considering the ruling was on warranties NOT the item warrantied I bet it applies. I am no lawyer and YMMV.
Since many reels now require lubrication of their brake shoes, I can't see how they can deny a warranty claim because the reel has been opened.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:13 am

Especially since the instructions tell the user how to put oil on the brake ring.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:17 am

mark poulson wrote:
toporanger wrote:I'm pretty sure requiring all service be done by the original manufacturer or you void the warranty is against federal law. I know it is on motorcycles and cars thanks to the Magnusson Moss act. If a company decides to deny warranty due to negligent work done by someone else they have to prove that is the cause of the issue, simply opening it up a non sealed item would not cause an issue.

Since many reels now require lubrication of their brake shoes, I can't see how they can deny a warranty claim because the reel has been opened.
Why would you take your car that is under warranty anywhere else but the dealer? Makes no sense. And I'm sure the warranty means taking the whole reel apart and attempting to service it yourself or even just to tinker. If you miss a part or don't reassemble it correctly then go out and fish it for awhile you can easily mess up something internally.