TD-Z frame post loose and possible corrosion?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

TD-Z frame post loose and possible corrosion?

Post by ogrich31 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Picked up a TD-Z for cheap, but it wasn't in the best condition. Upon breaking down and disassembling the reel, I noticed two small problems that I haven't encountered in the past. The first thing is that the riveted frame posts (see pic) that connects the handle side plate is loose. It moves back and forth, but does not spin. Has anyone encountered this problem and if so, what did you do?

Also, the reel foot is slightly bent, cracked and looks to be a little dark. Could this possibly be the magnesium frame starting to corrode?

Thanks in advance, and it was really a great deal, even with these problems. Can never have too many TD-Z's right? :lol:

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TD-Z frame post loose and possible corrosion?

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Wow, never seen that before... subscribed!

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:34 am

I have bought some beat looking TD-Z's in my time but have never encountered loose posts. I did have one 103H where the famed "Daiwa Death Screw" hole was stripped. I parted the reel and used all the internal parts to build a lightweight Fuego. Now I have this beautifully mint Fuego with 100M spool that weighs 6.4 oz or so. :big grin:

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:02 pm

Nice salvage job on that one Jeff! ;)