Help choosing : stradic CI4+ or Revo STX

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bullseye
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Help choosing : stradic CI4+ or Revo STX

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:42 am

Hi.

I'm into buying a new reel+rod.

This is the first time that I really research into it before buying.

I want a kit that's going to be quite versatile, able to handle small bass up to medium pike.

I landed my choice of rod on the Abu Garcia Veracity VERS76-5 (7'6'' medium)

I'm hesitating between 2 reels : the Abu Revo STX or the Shimano Stradic CI4+

Oh also I'm hesitating between the 3000 or 4000 version of whichever reel I end up choosing... Any tought?

What do you think of my chosen rod?

What reel should I get? If you'd rather suggest something that's not in my choices its ok too, altough I would really like to know your opinions on those 2 reels.

Also, last question, what brand of braid line do you recommend? Is Spiderwire good?

Thanks!

lmbfisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Help choosing : stradic CI4+ or Revo STX

Post by lmbfisherman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:01 pm

Get the CI4+ because they are being clearanced at a lot of places. As for line Spiderwire is ok.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:11 pm

I have a Veracity 7'6'' M and a Revo STX and before I got into BFS baitcasting it was my go to small bait setup. Not a medium sized pike rod IMO. I'd like a MH or H powered bass rod for pike.

The rod: I like the long M powered spinning rod. There's plenty of leverage there to bomb drop shots, extra reach to pitch a weightless plastic up to or under docks and while it is only a M powered rod the length of backbone endows the rods with lots of power for a M powered bass rod. The sensitivity is acceptable but not mind blowing. I can feel the wiggly ends of a wacky rigged Stick-O wiggling when pulled through the water on braided line. Balance is very, very good and I'm obsessive over balance. I'm a guy who thinks a 7'2'' M Zodias casting has just OK balance. How does the rod compare to other $150 7'6'' M bass spinning rods? I don't know, are there other 7'6'' M bass spinning rods?

The Reel: It's a Doyo and Doyo spinning reels are really good. Go ask anyone who's ever own a Pfluger. How does it compare to Shimano and Daiwa spinning reels at that price point? I have no idea. I don't own non Doyo spinning reels.

The combo looks pretty good together but at $300 for combo you might want to shop around. I payed $130 for mine as a sponsor price deal at Fisherman's Factory Outlet physical store in Spirit Lake Iowa and I'm very happy with it at that price.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:32 pm

Get the 3000. 4000 is overkill for any fish in freshwater.

Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothra » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:23 am

I've liked all my Ci4+... No experience with the revos

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:19 am

Not a fan of Abu's outside of their round reels. I would opt for the 2016 Shimano CI4+. From all accounts they are better than prior CI4+

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:45 am

Where are these accounts of a 2016 Ci4+ that is better than the prior Ci4+? Is a new version out and in use now? I thought there has only been one Ci4+ spinning reel iteration, and that it replaced the Ci4 several years ago.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:54 am

Bronzeye wrote:Where are these accounts of a 2016 Ci4+ that is better than the prior Ci4+? Is a new version out and in use now? I thought there has only been one Ci4+ spinning reel iteration, and that it replaced the Ci4 several years ago.
Several folks on here and other forums have ordered and received their new 2016 CI4+ from Japan. Several have used them and noted that they feel the reel is better than the earlier versions. It also looks better to most as well.

Here is a link to the new 2016 CI4+

http://www.jpfishingtacklenews.com/news ... ic-ci4-16/

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:20 am

Thank you for the link. I had not heard or read about this release!

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:09 am

Bronzeye wrote:Where are these accounts of a 2016 Ci4+ that is better than the prior Ci4+? Is a new version out and in use now? I thought there has only been one Ci4+ spinning reel iteration, and that it replaced the Ci4 several years ago.
I have a '16 Stradic CI4+, a Stradik FK, and had the previous CI4+. The '16 CI4+ is the best of the group. Even lighter than the previous CI4+ just a solid as the FK and smoother than either.

Here is a pic of it next to my FK...

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:00 pm

I would go for the Ci4+FA, they are very good reels. The 2016 Ci4+ is not proven yet and as we have seen so many times newer is not always better. The FA has an anti-reverse switch and a service port to keep the reel running for the long run. Also maybe think about a Sustain 3000FG another great reel that you can get at or about the same price as the Ci4+ if you look around.

I tried a New Stradic FK and no matter what the advertising say's it is no better than an FJ and has less features for more money.

Good Luck with your decision, Kurt

Bullseye
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Just ordered the ci4+ (got a huge deal for it on cabelas.ca, 200$ CDN)

Now im just having really big hesitation about the rod, cant decide between 7' medium heavy or 7'6" medium abu veracity...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:27 am

Bullseye wrote:Just ordered the ci4+ (got a huge deal for it on cabelas.ca, 200$ CDN)

Now im just having really big hesitation about the rod, cant decide between 7' medium heavy or 7'6" medium abu veracity...
The 7'6'' medium is a bass rod and it's borderline finesse bass rod at that. I use mine for drop shots, shakey heads and weightless plastics. It's not a pike rod. I have a 7'11'' extra heavy Veritas winch I use for pike and light duty muskie. What baits do you intend to throw with this rod? How heavy and how light weight are these baits?

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:56 am

The CI4+ is a solid reel. Good choice.

Bullseye
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:37 am

LowRange wrote:
Bullseye wrote:Just ordered the ci4+ (got a huge deal for it on cabelas.ca, 200$ CDN)

The 7'6'' medium is a bass rod and it's borderline finesse bass rod at that. I use mine for drop shots, shakey heads and weightless plastics. It's not a pike rod. I have a 7'11'' extra heavy Veritas winch I use for pike and light duty muskie. What baits do you intend to throw with this rod? How heavy and how light weight are these baits?
I have lures from up to 7/8 oz, (mostly spoons and crankbaits)