Binding/stiff retrieve symetre 3000fj

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Binding/stiff retrieve symetre 3000fj

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:22 am

Both me and a fishing buddy own a symetre 3000fj and love the reel but have run into the same problem. During a continuous retrieve, especially during a momentary pause or slowdown in the retrieve the handle becomes very difficult to turn and feels temporarily stuck. Has anyone else run into this? I do my own reel maintenance so if there is a certain part to clean/replace, let me know.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Binding/stiff retrieve symetre 3000fj

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:49 pm

It's a very simple reel.

I'd pop it open and inspect all the obvious culprits.

Imulsified grease in the crosswind block and oscillation gear.

Inspect bearings making sure they spin freely.

no bend in the main shaft.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:27 am

Open it and check the drive bearings and pinion gear bearing for free spin. Also don't forget to make sure that the bail trip lever is free and clear of the rubber ring that is designed to prevent the bail from tripping during the cast. Had that happened to my Stella FD and I thought I had bent the shaft skiing in a couple of small Pompanos. Next day, hooked up to a 50lbs Eagle Ray, drag crank down to 9 lbs, and reel was fine after a 10 minutes fight. Palm the spool after I saw the fish and broke him off.

Laphroaig18
Angler
Angler

Post by Laphroaig18 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:55 am

I had the same problem with a Symetre and it was a bend in the main shaft after a weekend of heavy fishing pulling out pikes and lots of bass!