drag grease

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

drag grease

Post by mark poulson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:31 am

I have baitcasters with a single drag washer.
What is the best drag grease to use?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: drag grease

Post by vinnieb729 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:42 am

I've always used Cal's...never heard any negatives on it either.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:02 am

vinnieb729 wrote:I've always used Cal's...never heard any negatives on it either.
Where can I find it?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:19 am

mark poulson wrote:
vinnieb729 wrote:I've always used Cal's...never heard any negatives on it either.
Where can I find it?
http://www.biggreenfish.com/

They have regular and light for colder weather.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:38 pm

vinnieb729 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Where can I find it?
http://www.biggreenfish.com/

They have regular and light for colder weather.

Thank you.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:10 pm

Oleg wrote:if fishing is in fresh water my choice is to install dry.
that is no grease on the friction disks .
of course talking about carbontax!
Oleg,
I have reels that have drags that already have grease on them.
I was thinking I should put some grease on the inside of the main gear when I replace it, because it will be dry.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:24 pm

you can find it on the big auction site (hpfishingproducts). $6.49 free shipping.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:45 pm

johnD wrote:you can find it on the big auction site (hpfishingproducts). $6.49 free shipping.
Can I use the same Hot Sauce grease I use on my gears?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:03 am

Most drag grease is different than grease for gears. Hot Sauce is not recommended for drags. Cals and Shimano Drag Grease are the top 2 available now. Been using both for years and haven't noticed much difference between the 2, both are great products. I grease my drags since I regularly fish saltwater, and a smooth, consistant drag is very important on the hard strikes and long runs. Drag still locks down fine when needed for bass fishing.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:53 am

mark poulson wrote:
johnD wrote:you can find it on the big auction site (hpfishingproducts). $6.49 free shipping.
cal's is a teflon grease , that's the difference. you can also buy it straight from shimano over the phone.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:17 am

johnD wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
cal's is a teflon grease , that's the difference. you can also buy it straight from shimano over the phone.
Thanks.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:29 am

I would not put Hot Sauce anywhere near any of my reels. Save that stuff for spicing up your food. :lol:

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:51 am

The combination I use is cals biscuit coloured grease on drag and gears, corrosion x standard on the slow bearings (including Tha AR bearing) and tg's rocket fuel tournament on the spool bearings, I do however fish saltwater tropical and find this combo gives me the best performance and protection. I put carbon drags and cals on the spinners on a few tournament bream anglers spinners here in Oz who fish ultralight (down to 2lb leaders) and they rave about the increase in drag performance, they fish in colder areas. The biggest thing I find is not to over lube, just work it into the fibre washer then wipe off and restack ensuring the metal washers are clean.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:01 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:I would not put Hot Sauce anywhere near any of my reels. Save that stuff for spicing up your food. :lol:

Now you tell me! Hahaha
DaisyZillion wrote:The combination I use is cals biscuit coloured grease on drag and gears, corrosion x standard on the slow bearings (including Tha AR bearing) and tg's rocket fuel tournament on the spool bearings, I do however fish saltwater tropical and find this combo gives me the best performance and protection. I put carbon drags and cals on the spinners on a few tournament bream anglers spinners here in Oz who fish ultralight (down to 2lb leaders) and they rave about the increase in drag performance, they fish in colder areas. The biggest thing I find is not to over lube, just work it into the fibre washer then wipe off and restack ensuring the metal washers are clean.
Thanks for the instruction on how to lube the washer.
The old drag washer was clean, and well enough lubed, so I just put it back into the new gear.
I don't fish the salt anymore (too old and cheap), but I fish a lot of tulles and grass, so I do need to be able to turn a fish on heavier line. So far, the Smoke Burner reels have performed. The one I had to replace the gears on was my spinnerbait setup, and my oldest Smoke reel. I bought it new when they first came out, so it's got to be at least six years old. Since a spinnerbait is a many cast bait, I'm sure I've stressed it over the years, and I hadn't learned how important gear grease was until I moved up to NoCal and the CA Delta.
I really appreciate all the help you guys provide.