Reel Decision

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Reel Decision

Post by goldrod » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:46 am

OG steez 100ha vs. TD-Z 103h

Of the two if you had to get rid of one which would it be and why? if this makes a difference they are both stock.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Reel Decision

Post by vinnieb729 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:50 am

I haven't had or used either but I cycle through more reels than I care to admit...many of which I end up rebuying.

I'd ask yourself the question this way...if you're happy with the condition of both reels, which is easier to find in that condition at a later date should you want one again.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:17 am

vinnieb729 wrote:I haven't had or used either but I cycle through more reels than I care to admit...many of which I end up rebuying.

I'd ask yourself the question this way...if you're happy with the condition of both reels, which is easier to find in that condition at a later date should you want one again.
Thanks for the reply.. I've never had the TDZ and I have variants of the steez so Im kinda leaning on just ditching the steez..
I don't know the pros and cons of either since they are both the same gear ratio, both mag frames.. it would be interesting to see
the difference in torque.. I think that will be a huge factor.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:17 am

I have had both reels , with the steez 103ha it's not meant for very long casts with the brake inductor it has . The TD-Z from what I remember casted very well in all spectrums . I did put the steez gears into the Td which to me made it feel a world of difference in the smoothness. I also did the same with the T.d Ito and had the same results . In the end it comes down to cosmetics and application you desire . Hope this help!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:13 am

I found a Megabass honey comb spool. It is the black spool and I put it in the TDZ. I couldn't cast 10 feet with a jerkbait. It was very frustrating because it was a fresh 10# izoline and oiled spool and side plate bearing. I turned the break dial to off and still nothing. I figure maybe too much oil so I wiped the oil out and cast out a rapala shadow shad.

I got really good distance. I figure that if it can give me that sort of distance with a lure that light than the Duo Realis 110 and 120 should sail.

I took the 1012 PE spool out of the reel, but left the 90mm carbon fiber handle on it with carbon knobs. So far I need more time on the water with it.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:11 am

Have Ian Shields polish up your TD-Z and upgrade the drag you will never want to get rid of it

I also know that with his work on that 103 spool...you will never need a SV spool for it either.

Set your mag dial at 3-4 and .loosen up that cast control knob to where you have just barely side to side play then back off one more click and cast away without fear of backlash.

With all the varients of Steez being introduced...you will be able to easily find a 100HA at a later date.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:I have had both reels , with the steez 103ha it's not meant for very long casts with the brake inductor it has . The TD-Z from what I remember casted very well in all spectrums . I did put the steez gears into the Td which to me made it feel a world of difference in the smoothness. I also did the same with the T.d Ito and had the same results . In the end it comes down to cosmetics and application you desire . Hope this help!
The 103ha has the R+ inductor which is an excellent distance inductor. The steez has less brake force than a td-z though so it is a bit wild. The 100ha spool that he has is a different spool and inductor. It is more tame than the 103 steez spool and in my hands out performs the stock td-z 103, but is a touch wilder.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:50 am

Teal101 wrote:
Real Pudd legend wrote:I have had both reels , with the steez 103ha it's not meant for very long casts with the brake inductor it has . The TD-Z from what I remember casted very well in all spectrums . I did put the steez gears into the Td which to me made it feel a world of difference in the smoothness. I also did the same with the T.d Ito and had the same results . In the end it comes down to cosmetics and application you desire . Hope this help!
The 103ha has the R+ inductor which is an excellent distance inductor. The steez has less brake force than a td-z though so it is a bit wild. The 100ha spool that he has is a different spool and inductor. It is more tame than the 103 steez spool and in my hands out performs the stock td-z 103, but is a touch wilder.
So I took it that he has the TD-Z 103H (Japanese model).
Not the TD-Z 103HA ( USA Model) but virtually the same reel.

Are you saying the TD-Z103HA model
http://japantackle.com/reel-archives/ca ... right.html

has the same spool inductor as the TD-Z Type R ?
http://japantackle.com/daiwa-tdz-typer.html

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:29 pm

I believe the Steez 100H, 103H and TD-Z have matching gear sets (size) so the drag should be equivalent provided they are running modern carbon materials instead of the older Daiwa washers. TD-Z should be brass and Steez will have aluminum gears.
I see the reels as equals regarding performance and would choose whichever is most comfortable and then fit the most desirable spool.
For me the Steez is winning out over the TD-Z ergonomics but I like the type-r+ spool. I also appreciate the 103 spool in the Steez which as I understand is similar to the type-r+ and quite different than a 100 spool.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:13 pm

ORIGINAL POST does not mention the Steez 103HA.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:24 pm

Teal101 wrote: The 103ha has the R+ inductor which is an excellent distance inductor. The steez has less brake force than a td-z though so it is a bit wild. The 100ha spool that he has is a different spool and inductor. It is more tame than the 103 steez spool and in my hands out performs the stock td-z 103, but is a touch wilder.
^^ This ^^
I still regret selling both my 103 spools!

As for which reel to part with, depending on condition, TD-Z's are somewhat harder to source in good condition.
The Steez100ha is no slouch, but many versions are available at this time, and will probably be for years to come.

I've settled on the Steez platform myself, simply personal preference.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:39 pm

389Maverick wrote:
Teal101 wrote: The 103ha has the R+ inductor which is an excellent distance inductor. The steez has less brake force than a td-z though so it is a bit wild. The 100ha spool that he has is a different spool and inductor. It is more tame than the 103 steez spool and in my hands out performs the stock td-z 103, but is a touch wilder.
^^ This ^^

As for which reel to part with, depending on condition, TD-Z's are somewhat harder to source in good condition.
The Steez100ha is no slouch, but many versions are available at this time, and will probably be for years to come.

Where does this Type R+ enter into this discussion. from the OP he mentions a TDZ-103HA.

Nothing about the 103H-Type R

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:46 pm

E73Bass wrote:
389Maverick wrote:
^^ This ^^

Where does this Type R+ enter into this discussion. from the OP he mentions a TDZ-103HA.

Simply expanding on the discussion, I've answered the OP in regards to which reel I'd keep.
No wonder TT lacks content lately with these type of replies, back to that other group I go! lol

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:10 am

389Maverick wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
389Maverick wrote:
^^ This ^^

Simply expanding on the discussion, I've answered the OP in regards to which reel I'd keep.
No wonder TT lacks content lately with these type of replies, back to that other group I go! lol
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:quiet:

basscattrent
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by basscattrent » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:08 pm

I would keep the Steez reel but sell the Steez 100HA spool and buy a Daiwa RCS1016 spool which I have in all my OG Steez reels. Here is a link to get a Daiwa RCS1016 spool below. The Tackle Trap also gives TT members 10% off to boot.
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... t&sort=20a
Here is a great post on the RCS1016 spool from this site Ian started it I would also send my reel to Ian and have him supertune it and you will have one amazing machine.
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39528