Spray lubricant for reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spray lubricant for reels

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:49 am

I saw this video on reel care and wondered what a good spray lubricant is for reels. People ask in the comments but shimano Australia hasn't responded.
https://youtu.be/Hp-tVFCoCVo
I bought a spray can of white lithium grease and also a spray can of silicone at the hardware store last night. Years ago I remembered spraying silicone on my casting reels and they'd become very slippery and hard to hang on to.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Spray lubricant for reels

Post by vinnieb729 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:05 pm

I wouldn't spray your reel with the white lithium...that'd be like spraying it with whipped butter and about as messy to get off. That is a kind of creamy white thicker consistency grease that's made to stay where is sprayed...like car door hinges and things like that. Definitely test that on something other than your reel.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:33 pm

To protect your investment, I would STRONGLY recommend against using a spray lubricant in your reel. It does not handle water well, and will emulsify when water is introduced to it, as well as wash away from the parts you are attempting to protect.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:57 am

I'm a little curious why shimano Japan sells a pack of spray grease and oil....

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:23 am

lifeofRiley wrote:I'm a little curious why shimano Japan sells a pack of spray grease and oil....

In your initial post you mention hardware store purchased spray lubes. My reply to you is based on that.

As for the video, they are primarily showing saltwater tackle, and it requires much more maintenance over freshwater. A light step lube on the OUTSIDE of the reel is for corrosion protection. A needle oiler will do the same thing.

Lawaia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lawaia » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:42 am

lifeofRiley wrote:I'm a little curious why shimano Japan sells a pack of spray grease and oil....
Shimano Spray Grease was for spraying grease into the Shimano Maintenance Ports on spinning reels. Grease not oil should go into the port. The port was a way to grease the gears for those who do not like to strip the reel down. I myself have never used that port, I always strip the reel down before cleaning and lubing.