Freshwater use of large spinning reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Freshwater use of large spinning reels

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:16 am

I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever tried using a 4000 sized shimano reel or its equivalent in another brand for freshwater fishing, namely bass, walleye, or northern. I've run into a situation where I would like to use a larger diameter mono for casting cranks that require a painfully slow retrieve. Anyways comments from people who have used the big reels before would be greatly appreciated. I know the Hibdons often used these big reels for dock skipping and also hackney used a size 40 quantum up at bay de noc last year. I do have a pile of casting reels and love them, just need spinning for this instance. You can also recommend a reel you like (or one to avoid!)

Thanks tackle tour

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Freshwater use of large spinning reels

Post by jtgibso1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:28 am

it'll work just fine for freshwater. that's about the size of preference for me if catfishing. can spool it up with heavier line and can handle more capacity for said line.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:31 am

Would a 7 foot rod be too short to balance it out properly?

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:10 pm

Up until 6 years ago I only used spinning reels for all my bass fishing. My preferred size for most techniques was a 4000. Mostly Sustains and Stradics. I have switched to baitcasters for all my reaction lures now mainly because there is a far wider selection of technique specific baitcasting tackle out there. Still using 4000 spinning reels filled with 30lb braid and mounted on stiff MH rods for most my plastic fishing. The biggest downside to spinning tackle was retrieving high resistance lures such as large spinnerbaits or 20' diver cranks. You work yourself to death. However the up side is casting light cranks in any wind conditions without worries.
Your comment of requiring an ultra slow retrieve will require lots of discipline because there is no such thing as a slow spinning reel. Most the 4000 reels have the same IPT (34 - 37) as the 8 to 9 ratio XG baitcasters. This was another reason for my switching to baitcasters. I can use a 5 ratio reel with a 23 IPT without having to concentrate on turning the handle at snail pace.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:38 pm

A very long time ago I used a Stradic 4000 for spinnerbait fishing, i would recommend braided line only. When balancing an outfit find a rod that is around 1/3 to 1/4 the weight of the reel. For example, a 9oz reel will balance well with a 3-4 oz rod. This will vary a little depending on the rod.

If you want some better reel recommendations let us know your budget? I personally would only go with Daiwa or Shimano, stay clear of Abu garcia, Pflueger, Quantum and Lew's spinning reels. Just my opinion. :P