Fuego Castin-stein

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fuego Castin-stein

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:33 am

This reel has 90mm handle with bearing supported cork knobs
Typer R drag star
Zillion (original) spool ( had a PE spool but something about the OGZ spool gave me a little more control but still able to fling it out there and line capacity was great with the larger diameter line on it.

just upgraded the bearings to ZPI bearings both on the spool and in the side plate. Its paired with the LamiSR705 rod.
14#floro. I was going to sell it until I fished a tourney with it and I was able to go from Traps, to SB, to SqBills without any real issues. the setup was very comfortable and really played the fish very well. It was like watching a great boxer shadow box when a fish was on, the way the rod moved with the fish kept them button tight. I am kinda digging it at the moment. Stock drag hasn't treated me too bad and is actually pretty good as it does not stutter.
Out side of all I have done don't know what more that I do? (Those Zpi bearings make a huge difference )

MisterQ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Fuego Castin-stein

Post by MisterQ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:06 pm

If you want a lighter reel, you can swap the original drive shaft (15 grams) with a TD-Z drive shaft (5 grams).
You can swap gear with a Steez and put a TD-Z 100 US trail spool too

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:40 am

MisterQ wrote:If you want a lighter reel, you can swap the original drive shaft (15 grams) with a TD-Z drive shaft (5 grams)
You can do this but it is not a drop in swap. You need to rub the little point off the bottom of the TD-Z shaft on a surface plate, or file it off. Take your time and you can end up with a nice zero free play fit.

I absolutely love the original Fuego's. I've parted out 2-TD-Z's and used all the lightweight internal parts in a pair of my Fuego's. They are MY flagship reels! ;)

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Ain't much needed for them personally. I just got one that's mint to put on my shelf so I can use the one that is almost mint to fish. Took the old star off my SV103 and put it on the Fuego. Also, swept handle with TDZ knobs and bearings. I have a PE spool on the way from Japan Tackle for it. Gonna be a nice reel to toss plastics with on my Lee Smith customs rod for lighter baits on a MHX blank.
<")))><{