Looking for a new daiwa spinning reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Looking for a new daiwa spinning reel

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:35 am

I've been looking for a week at daiwas spinning reel lineup in anticipation of purchasing a new reel. I've been trying to decide between the ballistic and procyon in a 3000 size. Any comments on the differences between the two or real world experience would be appreciated. One other question I have is, what model reels are made in Japan? I know the two I'm looking at are both made in China.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for a new daiwa spinning reel

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:09 am

Aside from the Procyon being aluminum, the Ballistic Zaion, the Ballistic has bearings under the spool. Both have mag seal. You'd have to step up to the Luvias or better to get something made in Japan.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:35 am

i had a procyon that i purchased used and then a couple days later hoohoorjoo twisted my arm and made me buy his ballistic.... the ballistic is nice and light, very smooth on the retrieve. sold the procyon and kept the ballistic and never looked back.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:00 am

Have been using a ballistic for about a year, love it. While I do not own a procyon I have handled some and they seem like really nice reels. Have handled some of the new BG reels and like them alot. Lower price and very solid. Maybe that just clouds the issue.