BFS casting distance question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

BFS casting distance question

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:16 am

Is 75 feet a good distancing for an 1/8 ounce Rattle Trap Tiny Trap? Ok. good, bad?

Reel: Haibo Smart 50

Settings: low spool tension so there is some side to side play, one centrifugal brake on and max on the mag dial

Spool: the extra shallow Smart spool (roughly 10 grams without spool bearing) DIY micro spool bearings

Rod: Kuying Teton 662L 2-10 grams trout rod

Line: #10 green Nanofil

I'm trying to figure out the Haibo Smart. I bought it early in the season to play with and do a bit a tuning because it was cheap as hell and looked like fun (dual brake BFS). I had some problems with line manageability in the past but I believe those problems were self induced by overfilling the spool. I use the combo for 1/8 ounce hardbaits and believe I have it dialed in now but the best it can do it 75 feet on the nose and I was expecting more. I might be able to reach 80 feet if can oil the centrifugal brake race because the reel making noise consistent with a dry/dirty race but I may have to turn on more brakes so maybe it'll be a wash. The max mag setting really helps with control by slowing the spool after the centrifugal brakes cut out right about when the hardbait begins to decelerate sharply but I was hoping for 100 feet thumb free 1/8 ounce hardbait with good aero properties. Maybe I'm being unrealistic.

This is it for the reel. If it can't keep up with the Teton then it's getting shelved.

The combo in question:

The dual breaking guts:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS casting distance question

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:32 am

I haven't used the Haibo but that seems like a decent distance. I get around 70-75ft with 1/8oz crankbaits. I am using a Phenix Mirage UL blank made into a BFS rod with a 16 Aldebaran.

I feel with a slightly more powerful rod, I could cast further. Overall, I feel you have a really good bang for your buck combo. With BFS, the small performance gains come at great costs.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:59 am

What line are you using?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:57 pm

I would say good distance.

With a 1/8 oz lure I may get 55-75 feet depending on aerodynamics etc - I have not used the Tiny Trap. I use various setups...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:28 pm

LowRange wrote:What line are you using?
8lb Gliss

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:53 pm

1/8 oz. Rattletrap, 10# Excalibur, PXL Type R, 6'9" L Falcon Expert. Paced off 32 steps. Use to be fairly accurate pacing off, so a minimum of 90 feet. One cast only for the measurement. I was trying 2 rods and 2 reels that day with the 1/8 oz. Rattletrap and a 1/8 oz. Roostertail. Roostertail was tied on a 7' ML Crankin' Stick, 6# mono, older gold colored Carbonlite. Three paces less.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:27 pm

The Rattle Trap should cast really well. Like I said before, For the money, the Haibo seems like a good reel. As long as you are comfortable casting with it and it works for what you intend it to, why change it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:23 am

I think I can squeeze some more distance out of the reel by cleaning and oiling the centrifugal brake race. it is making some noise and even with the spool tension backed off it won't fuzz up on me mid cast so it seems like the RPM is being choked off a bit.

Would a Scorpion 1000XT with finesse spool cast any farther?
ccass wrote:The Rattle Trap should cast really well. Like I said before, For the money, the Haibo seems like a good reel. As long as you are comfortable casting with it and it works for what you intend it to, why change it.
I'm trying to dial it in and get the most out of it so I can keep it in use. It's only a $100 reel so if I shelve it or sell it off for like 60 bucks it's not a big deal.

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:42 am

I think that's pretty good. I don't think I'd ever require more.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:01 am

I know of an 8'6 bfs casting rod lol

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:06 am

haha I have a 7'6'' one on order although it's getting paired to a Pixy. Not quite 8' BFS but close.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:32 pm

Bootytrain wrote:I know of an 8'6 bfs casting rod lol
Link, please :-)

I have this 9'6" rod, which could be called BFS:
http://burfish.com/catalog/tfg-stc-962-2.html
- soft action, nice for spinners and minnows etc. Being so soft, it does not get me a lot of extra distance (vs a shorter rod).

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:I know of an 8'6 bfs casting rod lol
Link, please :-)

I have this 9'6" rod, which could be called BFS:
http://burfish.com/catalog/tfg-stc-962-2.html
- soft action, nice for spinners and minnows etc. Being so soft, it does not get me a lot of extra distance (vs a shorter rod).
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Abu-Garcia-%E3 ... B00FLGSDWA

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:29 pm

Very nice...and tempting...also the 7'8"
Thx

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:40 am

I cleaned and oiled the centrifugal race after observing that it was very dirty. I noticed an improvement in the RPM of the spool. Unfortunately, like a dummy,I blew up the spool and all of it's line right out of the gate. I firmly believe that 1/8 (3.5 gram) hardbait casting distance is nothing to this reel and rod once dialed in. On the rod department there is a 7'6'' Kuying rod for those interested:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 34290.html