2016 Antares DC owners, verdict?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
wbook01
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

2016 Antares DC owners, verdict?

Post by wbook01 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:02 am

If you have fished with the new Antares DC, what is your opinion so far? With the dollar getting stronger against the yen nearly every day, this is becoming a pretty good time to buy one.

Also, the DC weighs the same as the 2015 Calcutta 100, 220 grams. The Calcutta has 12 bearings, the Antares 10. Has anyone here fished both reels? If so, which do you think is the all-around most enjoyable reel to use?

peterAlarsen
Angler
Angler

Re: 2016 Antares DC owners, verdict?

Post by peterAlarsen » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:09 am

Hi wbook1

I have fished Calcutta 100DC and the "old" Antares DC for severel years. And just tried the new Antares DC 2016 once. The old Antares is very much a "can do all" reel, long casts, short precision casts, casts in strong wind, light lures, heavy lures and so on. Until now my longest casting reel too. It is the reel I have used the most for river, lakes and inshore. I have subdued atlantic salmon up to 23lb in strong current with it. Its a reel that will cover many different types of fishing.

The Antares 2016 is lighter and definitely casts longer than the older reel. I haven't measured, but the difference is noticeable. And that's the selling point for me, especially for inshore and large rivers. But I also hold the 2016 to be a more specialized reel towards long casts. There is no outside cast control cap (mechanical brake), so it relies entirely on the DC brake to control casts. And the DC brake needs high spool rpm to power up. So for some casting styles you may rely only on your thumb. Fine for my type of fishing, but maybe not for everybody.

Calcutta 100DC is a fine reel for lighter lures, but I seldom use it now, as the Antares (old) can do the same and fits better in my hand, and also casts longer with any lure.

The Antares 2016 also feels smoother on the retrieve than the older Antares, or maybe that is just because of wear after heavy use. I remember also the Calcutta 100DC to be very smooth on retrieve, but now it feels more like a coffee grinder. Maybe time for a repair.

Peter

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:28 pm

peterAlarsen wrote:Hi wbook1

I have fished Calcutta 100DC and the "old" Antares DC for severel years. And just tried the new Antares DC 2016 once. The old Antares is very much a "can do all" reel, long casts, short precision casts, casts in strong wind, light lures, heavy lures and so on. Until now my longest casting reel too. It is the reel I have used the most for river, lakes and inshore. I have subdued atlantic salmon up to 23lb in strong current with it. Its a reel that will cover many different types of fishing.

The Antares 2016 is lighter and definitely casts longer than the older reel. I haven't measured, but the difference is noticeable. And that's the selling point for me, especially for inshore and large rivers. But I also hold the 2016 to be a more specialized reel towards long casts. There is no outside cast control cap (mechanical brake), so it relies entirely on the DC brake to control casts. And the DC brake needs high spool rpm to power up. So for some casting styles you may rely only on your thumb. Fine for my type of fishing, but maybe not for everybody.

Calcutta 100DC is a fine reel for lighter lures, but I seldom use it now, as the Antares (old) can do the same and fits better in my hand, and also casts longer with any lure.

The Antares 2016 also feels smoother on the retrieve than the older Antares, or maybe that is just because of wear after heavy use. I remember also the Calcutta 100DC to be very smooth on retrieve, but now it feels more like a coffee grinder. Maybe time for a repair.

Peter

Hi,

So you are using the Antares 2016 DC for Inshore (saltwater) fishing? I thought that was strictly forbidden for such a DC reel?! At least that is what I am reading in regards to the reel.

peterAlarsen
Angler
Angler

Post by peterAlarsen » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:02 am

Hi freelancer27

I know some states Antares 2016 DC cannot be used in the salt. But I don't believe. The reel have sarb bearings like the other DC reels that I have used in the salt for years without any issue.

Try to read the user manual, can be found here: http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/fishing_in ... index.html

It states that 特に海水・汽水域でリールをご使用された後は、錆や塩分の固着による
トラブルを防止するためにも、以下の要領で釣行後にメンテナンスを行
うことをお勧めします。

My Japanese is a bit rusty, so I pasted the text into Google translate, and read the following translation:

Especially after using reels in seawater / brackish water areas, due to sticking of rust and salt
In order to prevent trouble, maintenance is performed after fishing line as follows
I will recommend it.

The Next chapter describes how to rinse in fresh Water and wipe after, something I always do after a salty trip.

So the user manual does not forbid saltwater usage.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:36 am

T
peterAlarsen wrote:Hi freelancer27

I know some states Antares 2016 DC cannot be used in the salt. But I don't believe. The reel have sarb bearings like the other DC reels that I have used in the salt for years without any issue.

Try to read the user manual, can be found here: http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/fishing_in ... index.html

It states that 特に海水・汽水域でリールをご使用された後は、錆や塩分の固着による
トラブルを防止するためにも、以下の要領で釣行後にメンテナンスを行
うことをお勧めします。

My Japanese is a bit rusty, so I pasted the text into Google translate, and read the following translation:

Especially after using reels in seawater / brackish water areas, due to sticking of rust and salt
In order to prevent trouble, maintenance is performed after fishing line as follows
I will recommend it.

The Next chapter describes how to rinse in fresh Water and wipe after, something I always do after a salty trip.

So the user manual does not forbid saltwater usage.

Thanks for your feedback!

Since I am new to the my 2016 Antares DC.
Any tips how you get started, how you use it and how you do maintenance?

Thanks so much for your response!

peterAlarsen
Angler
Angler

Post by peterAlarsen » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi freelancer27

I haven't used it much yet, but in general terms if you are new to baitcasters, start out with monofilament line. Braid is a bit more difficult to handle and much more expensive. Mono also casts longer on at baitcaster.

Select correct line type on internal dial, and start out with the external dial set to maximum. Then gradually reduce breaking on the external dial until you find the sweet spot, long casts without overrun. Unlike any other baitcaster: no spool cap adjustment.

Maintenance for all of my reels: after a salty trip, give it a brief shower top-down (never bottom-up), wipe with a cloth and let dry. After a freshwater trip I just let it dry.

Once a year I strip down the reel for cleaning and lubricating (with special attention to the bearings), and also do so if the reel has accidentally been underwater. My Calais DC has been submerged in the salt a few times. The DC brake stops working, but after disassembling and cleaning it works like new again. Be careful when removing the DC system, don't bend or scratch the wires.

Since the new 2016 Antares is made from magnesium rather than aluminium, it may demand a little more care in the salt.