Help me pick out a Diawa Pixy

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Help me pick out a Diawa Pixy

Post by nikbrewer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:01 am

I am interested in purchasing a diawa pixy for ultralight creek fishing. My current setup is a Chronarch 50e, super tuned, with ceramic bearings ( shallow spool on the way) mounted on a Kuying teton light action rod. Combo is great, and casts 1/8 oz spinners and jigs great. Like it so much i was considering making another combo. However, after checking prices on chronarch or curado 50's, the pixy seems like a better deal, but i don't know much about them.

This will be used in creeks and ponds where 2 lbs is a decent fish ( although i have caught 5 lbs channel cats on my UL spinning gear by accident).

There seem to be many years of the Pixy, and the PX68, and i dont know which one is the best value.

I see used PX68's on ebay for about 175 shipped, Seeing some Pixys going for 140. Don't really care about appearance, as i don't care about reel colors, or if they are scratched, just want them to perform good. My chronarch is pretty beat up ( this was my first bait caster and i used to never use reel covers.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Help me pick out a Diawa Pixy

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:19 am

For ultralight creek fishing, I would not recommend a Pixy (PX68 is what I have). Of the >30 baitcasters I own, the PX68 is the only baitcaster I have been disappointed with. For it to really suit your purpose, you will need another/lighter spool, e.g. the DIY spool from China.

I would look at the Daiwa Alphas Air, Daiwa Alphas SV or other newer gen. Daiwa with SV spool. A Tatula CT (100 usd) with DIY spool (40 usd) is also an option.
You have been using Shimano/centrifugal brakes - perhaps also look at the Shimano Brenious.

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:32 am

What disappoints you about it? I was really hoping to stay under $200. The Shimano 14 Brenious looks to not be any better that my chronarch. Currently my chronarch with the stock spool and 8 lbs fluro works well. I am not against putting another spool in if needed.

Also, how does the sizy of a pixy compare to a chronarch 50?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:51 am

All the Pixy models are essentially the same reel with some cosmetic differences in color and handle material. The only difference comes when you try the SPR version against the standard Pixy. This model casts differently than the standard because it uses a different braking system. If you're casting tiny plugs and spinners, the SPR model will be your better choice. Jigs - kind of a toss up. But I doubt you're going to find an SPR model for under $200 unless it's pretty beat up.

Here's the review:
http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwapixyspr.html

And a very old comparison between the 2004 and 2005 Pixy:
http://tackletour.com/reviewpixy0405.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:56 am

I dot own a Chronarch.
I bought a new PX68 - the high price and the (old/dated) praise meant that my expectations were high. I also wanted to use the reel for UL fishing. The reel comes with a relatively heavy stock spool (approx 0.5 oz / 14 gr) and did not perform as well as my other cheaper reels (all stock). Today, my PX68 has been supertuned and I have an Ize and a DIY spool. I still do not think it performs as weel as my newer Alphas Air and SV, Aldebaran 51, Metanium w Yumeya spool, 2nd Gen Revo stx and premier with Avail spools - I could go on...
I will give that reel that it looks nice and it is smooth (after tuning). It is quality - but it is a little dated...

If you will be using it for 1/4 oz plus lures then I can recommend - but I would still look at other reels.

I will add that I like my PX68 SPR better.

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:00 am

i will keep that in mind. really 1/4 oz would be the max size for this setup. If i see one cheap, i may try it out, if not i may pick up another chronarch 50. Really prefer the tiny reels on small rods

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:06 am

nikbrewer wrote:i will keep that in mind. really 1/4 oz would be the max size for this setup. If i see one cheap, i may try it out, if not i may pick up another chronarch 50. Really prefer the tiny reels on small rods
An older Chronarch 50 with one of the spools from Dream Fishing Tackle performs really well:

http://tackletour.com/reviewdreamfishing.html

Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:35 am

Alphas Air or Alphas with an aftermarket spool like Cosugi, KTF, etc. A Pixy with a CP301 spool or Presso spool is another option.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:07 am

Get yourself a a Pixy and a DIY spool. The DIY spool are incredible performers. light weight, air brake and thin tapered inductors. I've got a DIY in a Pixy and have fished it on a Kuying Teton 662L. If it didn't buy the Kuying Leadership for the Pixy, it'd still be on the Teton.

Ignore the dust. Corn was being harvested near by.

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:42 am

do thay make DIY spools for the older Pixys and the newer PX68? or are they the same spool?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:46 am

If you did care about getting a near mint reel with upgrades, there is an extremely nice 2005 Airy Red Pixy on The Tackle Trap site right now...

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=10253

I'd recommend finding a used, relatively inexpensive 2005 Airy Red with the stock spool, add a set of Hedgehog AIR BFS bearings, and go have fun!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... _1865_1519
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:53 am

why the airy red? is it better than the silver or orange? THere is a orange one on ebay for about 140 shipped

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:17 am

The Airy Reds spool is a different material and the inductor is R+ tuned.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:28 am

nikbrewer wrote:do thay make DIY spools for the older Pixys and the newer PX68? or are they the same spool?
Same spool dimensions. The only exception is the SPR which has centrifugal brakes and will not accept a standard pixy spool or DIY.

Another affordable option would be to go with a used Alphas and pick up a DIY spool for it. The Advantages of an Alphas over a Pixy are:

1) Lower purchase price for similar condition Pixy

2) Aluminum frame. Magnesium framed reels can be a little geary as in there is a vibration felt when rotating the handle.

3) Spool options. In addition to the DIY the Alphas SV spool is also fantastic. It's slower spool with its thicker inductor but offers more control (skips better IMO) and more line capacity as well as being a stronger structure. I still prefer the DIY for BFS though.

Used Alphas: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 5573.m1684

EDIT: you'll have to wait on an Alphas DIY spool because they're sold out everywhere. When they return they will likely be in satin, unpolished finish.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:34 am

If you want an allround Pixy, i'd go with the PX68. It has a nice stock handle, high gear ratio, smoother gear *brass* and comes with carbontex drag. The spool is nothing special, tho. You can cast down to 1/8th but its not exactly smooth. So if you want to handle 1/8th and below, grab the DIY spool. If money isn't an issue, get the PX68 Finesse Special spool, these can go below 1/16.

Excluding the KTF PX68 pixies, the Airy Red has the best stock spool. I don't feel like it handles 1/8th and below much better than other stock pixy spools but i do feel like it casts way further when you're throwing 1/4+ (R+ inductor).

If i were you, i'd grab a yellow or the red pixy because they look the best *in my opinion*. Fully upgrade it and forget your Curado50 lol.

Also, the SPR is an awesome reel as well. The only pixy i haven't tried is the Type R and from those that i've tried, the SPR felt the most refined and "smooth".