Whats the difference? T3

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Whats the difference? T3

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:12 am

LowRange wrote:
africanbass wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Been reading into this a bit. It seems to me like the MX is just a JDM model of the Ballistic.
The MX is the base model for the MB FX and the Gancraft Mago
They chose not to use the 1016 for good reason
I would like to know the reason as well. I contemplated picking up a used FX68 but the thought of having to go out and buy a 1016 spool for it killed the idea.
The 1010 spool in the FX is just a more shallow version of the 1016. It's a killer spool actually, and I prefer the lesser line capacity.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 am

The isolated grooving issues that you speak of, is this what they had on the TT test? The front piece grooving from the spiral wrapped guides? Or just from using braid? What kind of line yall running on this reel?
<")))><{

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:32 am

T3 threads are always getting a lot of attention, Daiwa should revive/refresh the platform but make them in aluminum this time around.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:34 am

The jdm MX's retained the aluminum composite main drive shaft found in the 1016 (this accounts for the major weight reduction almost an ounce when compared to the US ballistic that has a heavy brass drive shaft)
The mx gears are also lighter than the Ballistic gear set and fell on parts with the 1016 -purely a subjective personal observation)
That coupled with the perceived tolerances improvements make the mx a winner at the going rate
The MB FX and Gancraft used the mx as a base for their offerings
From subsequent gear set tinkering I personally found the fx/mago/MX gear sets to be of the same excellent quality
Even the t3 air hybrid gear sets felt on par,the weight reduction was however sweet, not really worth the extra
$100 :lol:
The Ballistic however felt like a much cheaper offering
The spool is heavier and slower than the mx spool that more than fills it's shoes
I purchased 2 limited Aussie ballistics that received new mx drive shafts/gears sets that transformed them drastically, however they don't have the refined mx feel to them

Sorry for rambling,hope this clears up a few things
To summarize the 1016 has the best stock spool feels more refined than the Ballistic with quality drive shaft gear set. exclusive sleeved bearings and pinion diameter remove the shine somewhat
At bellow $200 a great reel
My pick a jdm mx under $200 with its added perceived refinement and more than capable spool
Even better,one of the MB FX reels that pop up near the crazy price of $220 these days
The 1010 spool has a sweet spot at around 1/2oz
For complete bliss a fx sv is the bomb,comes at a price though.........
Food for thought,all my personal views so keep that in mind
Happiness is a sore thumb

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:39 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:The isolated grooving issues that you speak of, is this what they had on the TT test? The front piece grooving from the spiral wrapped guides? Or just from using braid? What kind of line yall running on this reel?
Yip,that's it
I use braid exclusively
I have marked my front plate ever so slightly on occasion,spooling my reel not mounted on a rod
It's all about line angle,under normal circumstances a non issue

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:43 am

silversix wrote:T3 threads are always getting a lot of attention, Daiwa should revive/refresh the platform but make them in aluminum this time around.
They listened when the community asked for an aluminum Steez.......backlash,how dare they blur the line between platforms :lol:
An aluminum t3 would cause hell
PS I would jump.on a couple :D

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:49 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
africanbass wrote:OK,just to clarify a few things
The 1016 was the first T3 variant offered by Daiwa
I purchased mine at full intro price of over $400
Worth it at the time for the wow factor, but nowhere near the asking price in value
Subsequent price reductions helped things somewhat
They were cleared at around $200 when discontinued (a great value price)
Various complaints regarding the hood mechanism and grooving surfaced
A simple aftermarket aluminum plate was supplied that resolved the frame contact issue
Subsequent models had additional friction bars added (t3 air /sv),this design was later deemed obsolete and discontinued)
The fx/mx/Mago resorted to the good old simple aluminum plate
Isolated front plate grooving issues proved to be situational and insignificant
The MX was released that addressed the initial hood play and engagement 'hollow click'issue
The mx felt far more refined due to this

Daiwa also did away with the plastic sleeves found on the 1016 spool bearings. These were initially used to prevent corrosion in SW environments
This is the main exclusion in the mark 2 T3's
The original sleeved bearings were a pain during maintenance and removal,invariably causing problems
The 1016 pinion gear was also a different diameter due to this
Gear exchanges between later models became a complicated matter.
Part 2 to follow...
Thanks buddy. If I get another T3 it will be the SV version. This is basically a 1016 with the SV spool yes? Does it have those sleeved bearings you speak of? How is the refinement of the hood on this particular model?
Sorry,don't own a Daiwa sv
Only the fx sv models so can't comment
The color scheme never grabbed me

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:43 am

africanbass wrote:
silversix wrote:T3 threads are always getting a lot of attention, Daiwa should revive/refresh the platform but make them in aluminum this time around.
They listened when the community asked for an aluminum Steez.......backlash,how dare they blur the line between platforms :lol:
An aluminum t3 would cause hell
PS I would jump.on a couple :D
Me too. Magnesium would be cool but expensive.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:38 pm

Got the T3 1016H yesterday, took it out for a spin this morning. After using for a few minutes, I noticed the palm plate was coming undone. Looked down and the button that unlocks the side plate was missing. I guess the e clip and spring all came undone and the button fell out somewhere. Absolutely ticked off. BNIB reel, and this happens! :x
<")))><{

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:44 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Got the T3 1016H yesterday, took it out for a spin this morning. After using for a few minutes, I noticed the palm plate was coming undone. Looked down and the button that unlocks the side plate was missing. I guess the e clip and spring all came undone and the button fell out somewhere. Absolutely ticked off. BNIB reel, and this happens! :x
Should've listened to AfricanBass and got an MX.
*just kidding man, that's a bummer. Sounds like you got one made on Friday. If possible, I'd send that joker back & have them send you a new one.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:44 am

spookybaits wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Got the T3 1016H yesterday, took it out for a spin this morning. After using for a few minutes, I noticed the palm plate was coming undone. Looked down and the button that unlocks the side plate was missing. I guess the e clip and spring all came undone and the button fell out somewhere. Absolutely ticked off. BNIB reel, and this happens! :x
Should've listened to AfricanBass and got an MX.
*just kidding man, that's a bummer. Sounds like you got one made on Friday. If possible, I'd send that joker back & have them send you a new one.
No can do because I didnt buy it from a store. But, I did call Pikeroad at Tackle Trap and he ordered me the parts I need. For $6 I aint worried.
<")))><{