Whats the difference? T3

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Whats the difference? T3

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:35 pm

I keep seeing the T3 MX reels. What's the difference in the MX 1016 and the previous silver T3 1016? Is it just the black color?
<")))><{

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Whats the difference? T3

Post by jeff h » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:59 pm

Was wondering the same. I don't know, but I've gotten to really like my T3 and would not mind having a couple more!

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:19 pm

The T3 MX is based off of the T3 Ballistic. Less bearings, different spool than the silver T3.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:14 am

How much are T3's selling for right now? I have basically an almost new (like a 9/9.5 out of 10) in box T3 1016H (silver right hand with 6.3:1) that I am not necessarily looking to sell but I haven't been using it (using a Curado 70, Morrum ZX, Citica E's, etc.) and it is just sitting in the box. If I were to offer it for sale, what would a reasonable price be? They retailed for like $419 so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and best wishes on the water!

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:25 am

Big-Bass wrote:How much are T3's selling for right now? I have basically an almost new (like a 9/9.5 out of 10) in box T3 1016H (silver right hand with 6.3:1) that I am not necessarily looking to sell but I haven't been using it (using a Curado 70, Morrum ZX, Citica E's, etc.) and it is just sitting in the box. If I were to offer it for sale, what would a reasonable price be? They retailed for like $419 so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and best wishes on the water!
Not worth selling,you would probably get in the region of $120 :shock:
Happiness is a sore thumb

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:30 am

Personally I rate the MX and FX models as top of the T3 pile
Followed by the 1016/SV and bottom of the pile Ballistic.
Most the slp works reels are based on the 1016 so..... :?
Pick up a MX and pimp if needed,dodge the 1016

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:40 am

africanbass wrote:Personally I rate the MX and FX models as top of the T3 pile
Followed by the 1016/SV and bottom of the pile Ballistic.
Most the slp works reels are based on the 1016 so..... :?
Pick up a MX and pimp if needed,dodge the 1016
Wait a minute....what's wrong with the 1016 H/SH? I have a pair and they work great! If the MX is based on the Ballistic, that makes it better than the 1016 H/SH??

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:58 am

The MX is very different to the entry level ballistic
The improvements are as follows
Tighter tolerances especially noticeable with the the hood mechanism
Composite main drive shaft that shaves considerable weight
Superior gear set
Lighter faster spool

As for the 1016,not a bad reel but not as refined as the MX
Especially the hood mechanism
1016 has the best spool but the the worst spool bearing set up
The plastic bearing inserts are a pain and tend to damage during maintenance
These bushings also make the 1016 pinion an exclusive part to the 1016 range :evil:
The gear sets happily exchange between the mx/fx/ballistic ranges (1016 odd one out)
If you don't tinker with your reels,this is not an issue
I have a number of 1016's as mentioned not bad reels,I would trade them for MX's in a flash!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:11 am

I have to disagree. I've had 2 MXs, 2 1016s, and one FX68. The MX felt the worst too me. The pinion and drive gear of the 1016 are made in Japan. Not sure about the others. I don't know, the 1016 didn't feel as cheap for lack of better term. The FX68 was felt pretty good too. I'd like to try a T3 SV some day. The MX was the only one I could feel flex and made noise on the retrieve and under load.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:31 am

For what it's worth I had an MX and sold it, same flex issue. I was using mine for jigs and t-rigs, 1/4-1/2 oz. That may have been too heavy of a weight for the reel. It just didn't feel solid in the least to me. The brakes were a pain as well. I think there's a reason the resell value on those reels is 1/3 MSRP...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:44 am

cortman wrote:For what it's worth I had an MX and sold it, same flex issue. I was using mine for jigs and t-rigs, 1/4-1/2 oz. That may have been too heavy of a weight for the reel. It just didn't feel solid in the least to me. The brakes were a pain as well. I think there's a reason the resell value on those reels is 1/3 MSRP...
Interesting. That's the 1st complaint I've heard regarding the brakes. Most Daiwa die hards, myself included, wish Daiwa would bring 3D braking to another platform. I've found the best use imo for the T3 platforms is adding an SV spool and using it for finesse applications where a lot of stress isn't put on the reel. The 3D brakes are a real bonus for this as well.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:43 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
cortman wrote:For what it's worth I had an MX and sold it, same flex issue. I was using mine for jigs and t-rigs, 1/4-1/2 oz. That may have been too heavy of a weight for the reel. It just didn't feel solid in the least to me. The brakes were a pain as well. I think there's a reason the resell value on those reels is 1/3 MSRP...
Interesting. That's the 1st complaint I've heard regarding the brakes. Most Daiwa die hards, myself included, wish Daiwa would bring 3D braking to another platform. I've found the best use imo for the T3 platforms is adding an SV spool and using it for finesse applications where a lot of stress isn't put on the reel. The 3D brakes are a real bonus for this as well.
I know. I've heard lots of good things about 3D brakes, not sure why mine was a bad experience. I WAS using 17 lb. Inviz-X, pretty stiff line. I wasn't super experienced with baitcasters at the time but I wasn't a novice either. I'm willing to chalk it down to inexperience/line stiffness. That's partly what led me to the same conclusion you make; that the T3 platform would excel for light baits and line. That's why I'm kind of keeping my eye out for one since they do run so cheap used.

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:01 am

I haven't been inside mine yet, no need at this point. I have no need to tinker with these reels beyond regular maintenance and the simple upgrades I've already done. I did swap handles, drag star and spool bearings but that's it. I like them just as they are. I have no hollow feeling or any other ill effects when using mine. I even threw a 3/4 or 1 oz spinnerbait with #3 colorado and #7 willow on it. A fair amount of resistance in that bait and it the reel felt great. At this point I have zero complaints. Give me another season with them and we'll see how things shake out. I did not use mine for the whole season and this was my first with them.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:10 am

I was thinking the MX was just a repainted Ballistic with a different handle. I thought the 1016 was the top model.
<")))><{

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:34 am

I see that there are replacement spools for these reels. SV spool capabilities. What's the 1000, 1012 mean in the spool options?
<")))><{