Alphas SV 105 vs SS SV vs Aldebaran 50

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
basscrusher
Angler
Angler

Alphas SV 105 vs SS SV vs Aldebaran 50

Post by basscrusher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:09 am

Which one, feel free to elaborate on pros and cons. Intent is to use for small shallow squarebills or other moving baits, especially open-hook reaction baits, weights 3/16 - 5/16 on average, possibly 3/8 in a pinch. Includes some light, flat-sided cranks that catch wind and are harder to cast, despite relatively normal weights (think shad-raps or KVD 1.0). So castability is crucial. I am mostly a Shimano guy, but recently got an SV105 and LOVE it, but it's seeing work as finesse plastics reel. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas SV 105 vs SS SV vs Aldebaran 50

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:38 am

You might want to scratch the SS SV off the list. To be fair I have one I use with a DIY spool and have grown to like it for BFS but the stock spool has a strong braking profile not suited to distance casting IMO. If I was in your place I would either use the Alphas SV or use this opportunity to pick a Shimano (don't have one) such as a Curado 70 or Aldebaran 50. The phenomenal control and skipping ability of an SV may be a bit wasted on cranks so I would probably opt for a Shimano. Conversely, you're a mostly Shimano guy so this could be a opportunity to add another Daiwa to your arsenal.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:26 am

I have 2 alphas sv 105's and an aide 51HG. I really prefer the alphas over the aldebaran for just about everything i've used them for. I'd opt for the alphas here.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:33 am

No experience with newer Aldes but those Alphas SV105's are pretty spectacular reels for wide variety of "mag finesse baits" and above. They will toss a jerkbait a really good ways and even do it pretty well into a good wind. One of the more impressive Daiwa reels I have used. I would certainly 2nd the Alphas SV like what has been said above.