best old Daiwa?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: best old Daiwa?

Post by pharmboy2010 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:17 pm

egore1 wrote:Sweet! Get that retro kit together :)
Got the rod today and the reel is supposed to arrive Saturday! This makes my third "old school" combo. It'll go with my Megabass Pagani Lotus and an old style 5'6" fiberglass rod w/ wood pistol grip (Japanese dowluck style). Then I have a Team Daiwa TD-X on an original All Star Titanium topwater special, which my friend and I would always check out at the local tackle shop after school and drool over, but couldn't afford at the time.

I'll get pics up asap.

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ham Solo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Very cool! Looking forward to the pics.

I bought my dad a TD1 for Father's Day back in '89, if I recall correctly. I bought him a Daiwa rod as well to go with it(can't remember the model). It was his first baitcasting outfit and he NEVER used it. I would always see it in the corner of his garage when I would visit my folks. Baitcasters scared him. :lol:

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:32 am

Ham Solo wrote:Very cool! Looking forward to the pics.

I bought my dad a TD1 for Father's Day back in '89, if I recall correctly. I bought him a Daiwa rod as well to go with it(can't remember the model). It was his first baitcasting outfit and he NEVER used it. I would always see it in the corner of his garage when I would visit my folks. Baitcasters scared him. :lol:
Sounds like my dad. Uses spinning for everything.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:20 pm

What is the size difference between the TD1Hi and TD2Hi besides the spool capacity. Are they different in size? Does anyone still own both as I know they are pretty vintage. Thanks!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:28 am

I've got a few TD2HI(and a rare 5.1:1 TD2), they make great swim bait reels. I took notice of a photo from when Velvick won one of the clear lake tournaments(pre 2010?), he was using them to throw swimbaits.
They're awesome reels, and I haven't even opened them and oiled them yet.
Been meaning to get them to Ian for tuning & service, I imagine they'll be sick once he puts hands on them.
I love the styling too, remind me of 80's Lamborghinis.
Last edited by spookybaits on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:30 am

Here's a thread from 2012 with some good TD info

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=38184

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:42 pm

It's not a baitcaster but my vote is hands down the ss whisker tournament spinning reel. I asked for one for Christmas the year that dion hibdon won the newsletters classic using one. I think it was 1997. I was 11 years old and has only just gotten started serious bass fishing. My cousin and fishing partner had just began using baitcasters, but after a few trips of trying to use his and backlashing like crazy, I decided to stick with spinning gear. This reel was the only reel I used up until I was 18 or so, except when going after panfish or stocker trout with a cheap ul combo from Wal-Mart. I used it with every bait imaginable, from weightless plastics up to dd22's and super spooks. It handled every bait I threw, including 5" swimbaits for stripers and wipers a few weeks after the first 100 lb tournaments in years on the bass trail on lake toho and clear lake. Never a hiccup and still going strong. I had never heard of cleaning a reel until several years ago when I got into the internet forums like this one. I was kind of scared to send it off thinking it had to have internal damage from all the abuse of put it through, but the reel tech said it's still good as new. Well besides all the scrapes and marks on the exterior. I have since bought several others in the 1300 and 700 sizes, and use them to this day. They won't win any beauty contests, and sure aren't the smoothest, but if I could only pick one reel to last me forever and handle any fish I hook on any bait I throw, this reel is definitely it.
If we are talking casting reels, I would have to pick the td-z. Timeless looks, most comfortable to palm for me to this day, and endless options for customizing. If the td-z is too new or too popular to mention, then the procaster 33an(not sure if that is correct name) would get my vote. Still a workhorse reel that was the first I know of to have a truly high speed retrieve. Won't cast light stuff worth a darn but between it and the as tournament spinning reels, you can cover about any technique worth fishing

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:38 pm

I have four of the ss reels...3 in 1300 and 1 in 700. All made in Japan!