Down-Sizing Spinning Reels for Braid

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Down-Sizing Spinning Reels for Braid

Post by jim spooner » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:21 am

It seems reasonable to rethink, or perhaps question the choice of reel if braided line is to be used. With the trend toward the use of braided lines, down-sizing reels should be considered. The larger reels incorporating bigger spool diameters (necessitated by stiffer monofilament/fluorocarbon line), may be an over-kill with the limber braided lines.

It doesn’t make sense to use a high-performance, well set up rod only to strap on an over-sized reel. Kinda like a hippo on a race horse. Smaller reels allow better line-flow thru guides, lighter weight, and are far less fatiguing to use.

One could argue that bigger reels have better drag systems, but I think most quality spinning reels are more than adequate for the job. I’ve been using 1000 sized reels with up to 20 lb braid for several years and have had no issues whatsoever.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Down-Sizing Spinning Reels for Braid

Post by Cracker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:54 am

jim spooner wrote:Smaller reels allow better line-flow thru guides, lighter weight, and are far less fatiguing to use.
All the time was a rule - bigger spool - better line-flow through the the front guide - better casting distance overall.
And I been using spinning reels exclusively with braid for almost 20 years.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:57 am

While you can get away with what you suggest, there are several issues.
First, your guides should be matched to the height of your reel. Using a reel that is too short or too tall will affect your performance. It looks like you are suggesting a custom rod. I'm good with that.
Second, smaller reels will pick up line much less line than a larger reel with a larger spool with same gear ratio. Fun fishing with the smaller reel shouldn't be a problem, but it's not something that you want when a hard charging bass is headed for cover with money on the line.
Third, smaller reels won't balance properly on today's preferred longer rods. This will be hard to make up for with ultralight components.
Lastly, braid will still twist. Larger reels have to rotate less to pick up line, creating less twist.

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:56 am

I use braid on all my spinning reels. The answer is a jdm shallow spool model you'll love it!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:58 pm

I switched to 1000 size spinning reels when I began using braid with a leader. No more line twist.
I use the older braid, not the new coated stuff, so I don't know how that would work, but my old 20 and 30lb Stren Superbraid works really well. I let the line out to untwist about every 20 trips, or whenever I see twisting begin. It used to be every trip, even with 2500 size reels, when I used straight fluoro.
Remember to keep your leader length short enough that the leader to main line knot doesn't get wound onto your spool, or you'll wind up with tip wrap on your casts.