First baitcaster for my dad advises

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

First baitcaster for my dad advises

Post by fati » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:03 am

I was thinking about buying a first baitcast to my dad, since he always sticked to spinning gear im a bit scared he doesnt have the patience anymore to learn the ropes at first, so I had in mind a good quality reel that I have never tryed but that I expect to be kinda fool proof, the exsence dc .

You guys with experience with that reel think that is a good idea or should I be looking at another platform?

Good or bad idea? Should I leave im play with the spinning he was always used to ?

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: First baitcaster for my dad advises

Post by masterbass » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:32 am

I'd say the exsence makes a great foolproof reel. I have 30lb braid on mine and my kid who doesn't fish and has never used a baitcaster was using it on vacation last summer and he actually was having fun casting it. I just increased the braking a bit and he didn't have a single backlash.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:07 am

Depends upon your budget. I think the Exsence DC is a fine reel for someone starting out. The only drawback is the weight and the cost being over $300. If you use the designed night mode you don't have to thumb the reel at all. When he is wanting to learn how to cast one using his thumb he can always change it over to the fluorocarbon mode and adjust the +/-

On the Daiwa side of things the Tatula CT with the breaks engaged a bit more agrresively or any flavor of an SV reel from the Alphas SV 105, SV103, Zillion SV TW, etc would all be great for a beginner.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:36 am

If it was me, I'd be looking at a Daiwa with a SV spool!!!!

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:15 am

tacklejunkie2 wrote:If it was me, I'd be looking at a Daiwa with a SV spool!!!!
Yep.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:20 am

With the current exchange rate, you can get an Alphas SV for around $190 right now. If you're not sure if he'd enjoy one, there'd be a little less risk involved going that route.
Last edited by papabassin on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:35 am

Yup Alphas SV fo a cheap Daiwa. Or a TD-Z used with a SV spool, both will put you around $200.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:46 am

Depending when you need it, there's the new Scorpion DC coming in out.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:52 am

get him something you dont mind getting returned back to you if the attempt at BCing fails. Prob overkill but the MetDC is easy and really fun to use.

if he i used to holding the rod with his right hand you might consider a lefty reel.