Steez SV TW. no clicking tension knob?????

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jigapig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez SV TW. no clicking tension knob?????

Post by jigapig » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:37 am

Just got one of these. Seems awesome and cannot wait to use it. Was a little bothered by the fact that the tension knob does not click like the old steez. And the drag star seems like it is plastic, My tatula R has a zaion drag star that I like. Maybe it is Zaion painted black to match the reel. Also drag star seems to move in and out spring loaded feel to it. None the less I am a big fan of the TWS. Still seems like a nice reel.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez SV TW. no clicking tension knob?????

Post by IAY » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:52 am

They are like that because Daiwa don't want you to mess with it.

jigapig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigapig » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:01 am

They don't want you to adjust your reel?.Ha?Confused

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:08 am

The drag star is spring loaded indeed. Do a little research on the zero adjuster. Quick and easy

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:13 am

jigapig wrote:They don't want you to adjust your reel?.Ha?Confused
If you read the instruction manual for the Daiwa SV reels, they all recommend you to set the tension knob to where there is no side to side movement of the spool. They are really pushing that with the new tension knob.

jigapig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigapig » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:49 am

I had no clue. I will have to read about it. Thanks =D>

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:23 pm

jigapig wrote:They don't want you to adjust your reel?.Ha?Confused
The mag dial is your adjustment. With SV spools you set the spool tension with just enough tension to eliminate side to side play and then you never touch it again. It may see odd but I regularly bounce between 1/8 to 3/4 ounce baits without ever touching the CC knob. Spool tension with SV spools is set and forget and Daiwa has made the spool tension on the Steez TWS non-adjustable.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:20 pm

jigapig wrote:Just got one of these. Seems awesome and cannot wait to use it. Was a little bothered by the fact that the tension knob does not click like the old steez. And the drag star seems like it is plastic, My tatula R has a zaion drag star that I like. Maybe it is Zaion painted black to match the reel. Also drag star seems to move in and out spring loaded feel to it. None the less I am a big fan of the TWS. Still seems like a nice reel.
that is why its recessed into the frame,its set from the factory,thats why it says zero adjustable cast control,the drag star is made of aluminum and it is spring loaded like all baitcast reels are.Iam not a big fan of the tws system its just a gimmick but the reel is like a rolex watch

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:46 pm

I was also concerned about not being able to adjust the tension knob also, until I found out I could cast a 1/4 oz shakyhead with ZERO weights on. I think daiwa got it right!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:22 am

phatbass wrote:
jigapig wrote:Just got one of these. Seems awesome and cannot wait to use it. Was a little bothered by the fact that the tension knob does not click like the old steez. And the drag star seems like it is plastic, My tatula R has a zaion drag star that I like. Maybe it is Zaion painted black to match the reel. Also drag star seems to move in and out spring loaded feel to it. None the less I am a big fan of the TWS. Still seems like a nice reel.
that is why its recessed into the frame,its set from the factory,thats why it says zero adjustable cast control,the drag star is made of aluminum and it is spring loaded like all baitcast reels are.Iam not a big fan of the tws system its just a gimmick but the reel is like a rolex watch
Most Daiwa reels do not have spring loaded drag stars. That's a Shimano thing and new to Daiwa.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:06 am

Springs in a drag star? why

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:25 am

LowRange wrote:Springs in a drag star? why
Shimano has done this for quite a few years now. Daiwa followed suit on the tatula, tatula ct and zillion sv tw, along with most of the lower-tier models. The star has a spring that holds it out tight against the handle. The actual square nut that adjusts drag tension just floats inside the star. The star doesn't actually attach to the drive shaft, it just sits over that square nut. It is a cost-saving mechanism. Doesn't matter to me, though, as long as the reels performance is there.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jigapig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigapig » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:16 am

phatbass wrote:
The TWS system really works,not a gimmick at all. I have a Tatula type-r. The ease of casting it is insane. Better than my first gen. steez reels. Not as lite of course. The older steez needed a line guide like the fuego and zillion.

jigapig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigapig » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:20 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Shimano has done this for quite a few years now. Daiwa followed suit on the tatula, tatula ct and zillion sv tw, along with most of the lower-tier models. The star has a spring that holds it out tight against the handle. The actual square nut that adjusts drag tension just floats inside the star. The star doesn't actually attach to the drive shaft, it just sits over that square nut. It is a cost-saving mechanism. Doesn't matter to me, though, as long as the reels performance is there.
My Tatula type -r does not have the spring. I don't like the spring loaded star. It is what it is i guess

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:43 am

jigapig wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
My Tatula type -r does not have the spring. I don't like the spring loaded star. It is what it is i guess
My Tatula Type R does have the spring, even though it is a Zaion star. Same with my Zillion SV TW.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.