Tabula CT SV TWS

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tabula CT SV TWS

Post by joekaz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:21 am

johnD wrote:Did anybody get more info about this reel over the past week ?
Might have to wait until the next Daiwa Project - T 2017 video comes out.

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:32 am

This will be interesting to see. A Zillion SV TW Type R would be sweet.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:04 am

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:08 am

50 dollars cheaper, shorter handle and new Steez knobs, cheap drag star, and no G1 spool. What am I missing?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:37 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:50 dollars cheaper, shorter handle and new Steez knobs, cheap drag star, and no G1 spool. What am I missing?
you're not alone...
I think these will be 199 /w the suggested retailer being 223 if I converted it correctly...but yeah...80 mm handle, no G1 spool that will now be some 33 mm SV spool, and not even the Type R Zaion Drag star? Kind of a let down... I've grown to like those knobs though.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Man the plastic star drags on those Tatulas are just plain ugly

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Video states a 90 mm handle, but the Jdm specs say 80 mm. Silver spool is kind of a welcome change from all the darker SV spools.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:46 am

They are going to retail for $199. I had the reel in hand when some good folks from Daiwa stopped by The Tackle Trap. I also handled the Steez A, and several other new Daiwa products but couldn't say anything about them :lol:

The Tatula CT SV felt great and the casting was impressive (what little parking lot casting I was able to do!), I think guys will like it. They will be available to ship Bassmaster Classic time and TTT will have them up for order ASAP.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 am

bronzefly wrote:They are going to retail for $199. I had the reel in hand when some good folks from Daiwa stopped by The Tackle Trap. I also handled the Steez A, and several other new Daiwa products but couldn't say anything about them :lol:

The Tatula CT SV felt great and the casting was impressive (what little parking lot casting I was able to do!), I think guys will like it. They will be available to ship Bassmaster Classic time and TTT will have them up for order ASAP.
Thx Gary. So I'm assuming the Usdm model has a 90 mm handle, and the Jdm model 80 mm. Different knobs as well. Did it feel as refined as the Zillion SV TW, or was there a noticeable difference?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:44 am

Hogsticker2 wrote: Thx Gary. So I'm assuming the Usdm model has a 90 mm handle, and the Jdm model 80 mm. Different knobs as well. Did it feel as refined as the Zillion SV TW, or was there a noticeable difference?
Hey Mark, yes it's a 90mm handle that had one bearing, one bushing per knob, so would benefit from an additional handle knob bearing on each. With as little time as I had actually casting it in the parking lot, it's hard to determine the level of refinement, especially comparing to something I've fished quite a bit, the Zillion SV TW for example. Overall, it felt very nice, smooth, casting was great, etc. I'll get one to fish as soon as they show up at the shop, but I expect it to be a nice addition to the Tatula CT family and generally well received at it's price point. The SV technology is something I enjoy, so it's nice to see it in a sub $200 USDM reel, a lot more guys will get to experience it with this new reel.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:59 am

And how was the Steez A... :D

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 am

bronzefly wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: Thx Gary. So I'm assuming the Usdm model has a 90 mm handle, and the Jdm model 80 mm. Different knobs as well. Did it feel as refined as the Zillion SV TW, or was there a noticeable difference?
Hey Mark, yes it's a 90mm handle that had one bearing, one bushing per knob, so would benefit from an additional handle knob bearing on each. With as little time as I had actually casting it in the parking lot, it's hard to determine the level of refinement, especially comparing to something I've fished quite a bit, the Zillion SV TW for example. Overall, it felt very nice, smooth, casting was great, etc. I'll get one to fish as soon as they show up at the shop, but I expect it to be a nice addition to the Tatula CT family and generally well received at it's price point. The SV technology is something I enjoy, so it's nice to see it in a sub $200 USDM reel, a lot more guys will get to experience it with this new reel.
No doubt. Considering the prices of SV spools, this seems like a bargain. . . Granted the reel itself isn't lacking in some major way. Good move on Daiwas part imo to get some penny pinchers into an SV reel. They just did it a little backwards.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:20 am

Will the Tatula CT Type-R be an obsolete reel in the lineup now compared to the Tatula CT SV? I am very interested in the SV model and the new Tatula rods to go with it!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Big-Bass wrote:Will the Tatula CT Type-R be an obsolete reel in the lineup now compared to the Tatula CT SV? I am very interested in the SV model and the new Tatula rods to go with it!
Nah, there is a significant price difference between the two. Some people like different color schemes and, crazy as it sounds, will pick a reel based on color as much as specs. I will neither confirm nor deny that I am one of those people... :)

DaveJ