What is the most versatile gear ratio?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What is the most versatile gear ratio?

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:09 pm

When I started using casting gear in the early 90s, most of my reels were a variant of "high speed": 5.x:1 in some variation out side of my dad's Abu round reels which were "high speed" 4.7:1. About 1995/1996, I got a blazing fast Abu Garcia SM3600C in 6.3:1. Since then, (aside from Daiwa with the PT33SH in 7.1:1 which came out in 1987 and was arguably underpowered for its gears), most 7.x:1 variants came out in the last ten years. Now we have 8 and 9:1 gear ratios in many models. Is this a fad sort of like my truck is bigger and faster than yours or is there true legit, lasting, function. When someone says its easier to crank slower or pick up more line, is it that more of a mindset that it's easier or reality. How fast can we really go with a reel? In the next 10 years will we see 12:1 ratios? Five cranks of the handle and a 70-80 foot cast is back to the boat? Many of the folks who swear by older Chronarchs, TD-Zs, etc. never had those reels in anything more than 6.3:1. Is there a truly universal gear ratio for everything from cranks to picking up line quick for jigs and worms? Some pros will say they only use 8:1 reels for everything but is that marketing for sales of those models or honesty? Thanks and sorry for the rant...just something I am thinking about for future reel purchases.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is the most versatile gear ratio?

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:03 pm

7.x:1 is my preference.

Slower than that and I occasionally lose a nice bass that is running at me because I can't keep up. Faster than that and I feel the reel usually feels under-powered.

There are certainly uses for the other ratios (slow cranking, jig fishing, and power fishing etc), but if I had to choose one for all my reels 7.x:1 would be it for sure.

The Zillion 100 SHA specifically has my favorite gears. Just that reel was about 1.5 oz lighter and used TDZ/Steez spools. The new Zillion TW SV has taken its place in my lineup because of that reason alone, but every time I get her out I can't put her down.

DaveJ

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:12 pm

7:1 for me

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:21 pm

Being that the gear ratio is only one variable in an over-all picture of what a reel does , our answers will vary .
Ipt , which factors in spool circumference, handle length, gear size and gear ratio will all effect both speed and power.
Without up or down sizing the gears themselves, the higher the gear ratio the lower the power. Just like on a bike.
It is absolutely possible to have a reel with a 5.8:1 ratio have as much power and speed (ipt) as a 6.3:1 reel. Other variables will be different though.
Last edited by Mike and Pike on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 pm

I used 6.3:1 a lot, but I fish moving baits a lot. I love my 7+ for bottom contact. Just like everyone else I have enough tackle that there is no need to choose. If I could only have one rod & reed the reel would be 6.3:1, but Lord please don't let that happen.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:34 pm

I find that the reels I say are the most versatile are around 26 IPT. Using just ratio will put you all over the planet on speeds. That speed is GENERALLY 6 ratio on more compact reels. For example the zillion TW 5.5 speed is 24 inches and the zillion SV TW 6.3 is 26.4.

I think its easier to speed up but its a pain to be forced to slow down on hard pulling baits, ruins the day.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:45 pm

6:8.1 is my favorite. Just works great for a wide variety of techniques.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:59 pm

IPT is what really matters. I like 30-35 IPT personally. Reason being, if you are trolling along at say 1mph or so, you are reeling faster to keep that bait at a decent rate as its coming towards you. With a faster ratio I dont feel that I have to go nuts turning the handle to keep that bait at the desired speed. If I get to a spot where Im gonna 360 around the boat, even with the faster ratio, I can just slow my roll a bit. I dont do any deep cranking here in S FL, most of my fishing is done in 6ft or less of water.
<")))><{

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 am

Agreed IPT is how fast the reel truly is. A 6.3 OG zillion has more IPT than a 7.2 Pixy just by the difference in spool diameter. My most versatile speed depends on the type and size of lure i'm working. In my bfs setups the 8:1 ratio reels aren't a problem since the little 2g crankbaits aren't hard to tow with a high speed reel. My person favorite for general bass all around falls into the 7:1 which works for me on all but the heavy resistance baits.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:35 am

For me, 6.3:1 is the most versatile. You can use it for cranking but it also has enough speed for jigs and T-rigs. Although it is the most versatile, it is often not the best choice though.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:39 am

6.8:1 seems to be perfect for me
Happiness is a sore thumb

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:50 am

I would say my top in order would be

My versatile set ups are the majority of those ratios. I do love my 7.7 in my 51 echoes!

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:04 am

I honestly think the super high speed gear ratios are here to stay. I think that they have a purpose no doubt and give anglers some much needed advantages in certain applications and situations. I use my 8:1’s for frogging, flipping & pitching, drop shot, etc. And who knows, they may offer them even faster one day, but I don’t believe that the current meat and potatoes ratios (6:1/7:1) are going to become obsolete.

With as strong as the gearing is in some of the reels now, I pay more attention to IPT than gear ratio. No doubt that gear ratio still affects power. But to me, it’s more about pace than power with the majority of my fishing. Even though I can “slow it down” if I have to, I prefer to have my pace feel "natural" especially with moving baits. Around 28 IPT is very versatile for me, but then again I still love my super high speeds.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:21 am

Between the 6:3-6:8 range

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:45 am

Casting,
6.3:1 will do everything for me if it has to be that way. I don't care for anything faster than 7:1 and I still like to use 5's for more than deep cranking.

Spinning,
I like them under/around 5 best but I can live with 6