1st Post, Daiwa or Shimano???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

1st Post, Daiwa or Shimano???

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:36 pm

I am looking to complete my reel collection, I have: an SV105 on a ML TFO dropshot rod (finesse), an SS/SV, a Zillion TWS7.3, a Zillion TWS9.1, an original Tatula Type R 8.1, Tatula HD 7.3, BB1PRO 7.1, and a Revo Winch. Spinning includes a Gen 1 Revo Premier, Stradic Ci4+, and a new Revo STX20. I wanted to try all brands of baitcasters when I first started, but I have really began to like Daiwa. I have a pretty trained thumb, I am used to fishing light lures on my local river, but what I really want advice on is should I wait and try the new Chronarch MGL or just go with another SV105 (which is currently on sale) or buy a Zillion SV TW??? Probably will get 10-12 fluorocarbon and go on a Medium rod. Daiwa and Abu have ALWAYS had amazing customer service for me, but I have heard negative things about Shimano's service after a year... That being said, my Ci4+ did catch my personal best and literally still feels brand new after over 2 years, fishing at least twice a week. Thanks for any advice and I am glad to finally have registered to this website, have been reading tons of posts for years and finally felt the need to join because I am insane about tackle.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 1st Post, Daiwa or Shimano???

Post by alafly » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:21 pm

For Shimano, if you plan to use your money for Chronarch MGL, I would suggest adding little to get metanium MGL at almost same price.

For Daiwa, we have a lot of SV103 (Old Zillion platform ) lover here.... :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
DirtyD64 wrote:I am looking to complete my reel collection, I have: an SV105 on a ML TFO dropshot rod (finesse), an SS/SV, a Zillion TWS7.3, a Zillion TWS9.1, an original Tatula Type R 8.1, Tatula HD 7.3, BB1PRO 7.1, and a Revo Winch. Spinning includes a Gen 1 Revo Premier, Stradic Ci4+, and a new Revo STX20. I wanted to try all brands of baitcasters when I first started, but I have really began to like Daiwa. I have a pretty trained thumb, I am used to fishing light lures on my local river, but what I really want advice on is should I wait and try the new Chronarch MGL or just go with another SV105 (which is currently on sale) or buy a Zillion SV TW??? Probably will get 10-12 fluorocarbon and go on a Medium rod. Daiwa and Abu have ALWAYS had amazing customer service for me, but I have heard negative things about Shimano's service after a year... That being said, my Ci4+ did catch my personal best and literally still feels brand new after over 2 years, fishing at least twice a week. Thanks for any advice and I am glad to finally have registered to this website, have been reading tons of posts for years and finally felt the need to join because I am insane about tackle.
"North" of America...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:32 pm

The old Zillions are definitely something special, if the sale persists they will be on my list of possibilities too. I think I bought my Zillion TWS reels on sale for around 155 though and they have been worth it for sure, I cast 3/16 jig heads w/ a 3.3" or 3.8" Keitech plenty far on them (as long as I have 10-12F).

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:40 pm

Check out a Metanium MGL from japanlureshop. You can probably get one of them for the same price as the SV105.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:01 am

Try something new - Metanium MGL or Chronarch MGL, since you have so many Daiwa reels. You may like Shimano platform better.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:38 am

What about adding a Steez, TD-Z or Pixy to the collection? Steez/IS are much smoother and quieter than the SS SV.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:10 am

Each braking system has its advantages.

Daiwa and Shimano are top notch. I have a preference to Daiwa, especially for bottom contact baits.

The SV spools are really nice. I enjoy having some 10-12lb FC, SV-equipped Daiwa, and a versatile Medium rod for trekking down to the river. I like to only bring 1 rod with me so I do not have to lug another around. I can effectively walk and fish without worrying about my other rod catching branches and such.

The versatility of the SV spool is nice for throwing a variety of lures. Paired with a mod-fast rod, I can fish for anything from smallmouth, salmon, pike, trout, walleye or whatever else comes from Lake Superior. I enjoy the stress-free skipping as well. Fishing from the river bank can put you in some compromising casting positions and the SV spool can do it all. I get some funky wind currents as well. There will be no wind for part of my cast and then all of a sudden, my lure hits a wind current. The SV spool handles it great. I have noticed some other reels require more attention to stuff like that in order not to overrun. One birdnest while trekking along the river ruins the day of fishing.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:34 am

I am in a pretty large aluminum boat 95% of the time, I will probably add a TW setup with 30lb braid (something cheaper, don't use topwater a lot) and buy this current reel for a 6'8" ML Lew's Custom Speed Stick Topwater rod, I know that makes no sense, but for finesse swimbaits and smaller texas rigs/jigs, etc. the bend seems perfect. I always go cheaper on rods, $100-$200 seems fine for me, reels on the other hand I expect to last. Does anyone have experience with Shimano's reel warranty?

Daiwa has fixed my old Type R 2 times (scratched the front side of the T-wing, causing line to bunch, T-wing grooved, so they put a new one on it for free, and these repairs were 1.5 years and 2 years in respectively).

Abu has sent me 3 rod replacements for guides being damaged, very quickly.
Lew's has sent me 2 rod replacements, one for guides and the other for damage to the butt of the rod.

I just want to know how long Shimano will support me if I spend $280 on the new Chronarch MGL??? I have been an engineering student, my dad is an engineer, so I COULD fix it on my own, just like to see and have the comfort of support there.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:38 am

Medium rod for 10-12 pound test the Alphas SV is impossible to beat for the price. If you're throwing lures mainly 5/16 and up the Scorpion might be worth a look...and you could try SVS. I wouldn't jump on a high end Shim until you know you like them.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:09 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I am in a pretty large aluminum boat 95% of the time, I will probably add a TW setup with 30lb braid (something cheaper, don't use topwater a lot) and buy this current reel for a 6'8" ML Lew's Custom Speed Stick Topwater rod, I know that makes no sense, but for finesse swimbaits and smaller texas rigs/jigs, etc. the bend seems perfect. I always go cheaper on rods, $100-$200 seems fine for me, reels on the other hand I expect to last. Does anyone have experience with Shimano's reel warranty?

Daiwa has fixed my old Type R 2 times (scratched the front side of the T-wing, causing line to bunch, T-wing grooved, so they put a new one on it for free, and these repairs were 1.5 years and 2 years in respectively).

Abu has sent me 3 rod replacements for guides being damaged, very quickly.
Lew's has sent me 2 rod replacements, one for guides and the other for damage to the butt of the rod.

I just want to know how long Shimano will support me if I spend $280 on the new Chronarch MGL??? I have been an engineering student, my dad is an engineer, so I COULD fix it on my own, just like to see and have the comfort of support there.
Shimano customer service? Just look at the Manufacturer Support Forum.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks for the info, I read for a long time in the warranty section, I read positives and negatives, but never found an outright answer...

How does Shimano's service compare to Daiwa's?

If I buy a $280 Chronarch MGL or $300 Zillion SV or another SV105 can I expect the same support? I am not done with school yet, so for now money means a lot, I catch a hard time from friends already, but figure this is my only hobby so why not try to do it the right way.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:55 am

I've had exceptional service with both companies, really above and beyond anything I've received from any other company in or outside of fishing. That should absolutely not be a determining factor.

This being your first post, I will let you know these Daiwa vs Shimano threads usually end in a trainwreck, and are the result of someone baiting a fight. Thus the reluctance of many to give you answers.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:38 am

I agree…I wouldn’t worry too much about the customer service differences. Both companies are top notch and both make awesome, awesome reels. Maybe it’s weird, but I love them both. I do own more Daiwa's however...at least for the time being. Considering you are pretty Daiwa heavy, I think it’d be nice for you to try a Shimano caster. My recommendation would probably be the Metanium MGL. Currently the Met MGL is pricing really well at the reputable Japan shops and can be had for right around $300 or less.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:28 am

Last question then for now, this goes for either/both Daiwa and Shimano, will they still warranty Japanese reels? For example my SS/SV103 is full Japansee instructions. Would I send them to the place where I would send my Tatula or Ci4+???

Thanks again for all the answers, I don't know how many questions of mine have been answered from this site before I ever joined too!!!

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:43 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Last question then for now, this goes for either/both Daiwa and Shimano, will they still warranty Japanese reels? For example my SS/SV103 is full Japansee instructions. Would I send them to the place where I would send my Tatula or Ci4+???

Thanks again for all the answers, I don't know how many questions of mine have been answered from this site before I ever joined too!!!
They won't unless you bought it in US from authorized dealer.
But if you willing to pay you can find some folks here on TT forum like Ian who does excellent job.
I had bad experience with Daiwa, and now I do all repairs or maintenance myself. Worked out very well for me.
Thank you Daiwa! :D