1st Post, Daiwa or Shimano???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 1st Post, Daiwa or Shimano???

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Didn't want to add a whole new thread for another question, but was wondering after trying to search the forum and find it... My SV105 easily casts an 1/8oz road runner with a 2" crappie grub (with 8 or 10F), I don't HAVE to be able to do that with the new reel I am hunting, but would like to know the lower range of a Curado 70 or maybe an estimated guess of how the Chronarch MGL might toss. I really like throwing 3.3"/3.8" Keitechs on an 1/8 or 3/16 head on the rod I have planned for my new reel with 10 or 12F and the SV will dump the spool on those lures. I just wonder mainly if the friction based SVS system has the same ease with lower range finesse lures that the SV105 does, I also know my Zillion TWS (non SV) throws a 3/16 head with a 4" Easy Shiner and 10lb HiSeas fluoro much better than I expected. Thanks.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:09 am

FYI, as Shimano guy, here is what I learned in last couple weeks.
- Zillion TWS and even Zillion TWS SV are considering as a tatula here because it's almost same inside.
- SV103(old Zillion with SV) is considering as a real Zillion. We have a lot of Zillion lovers in TT. [-( [-(
- SV105 is called overpriced JDM alphas sv and for performance it does have some lovers in TT. \:D/ \:D/
DirtyD64 wrote:Didn't want to add a whole new thread for another question, but was wondering after trying to search the forum and find it... My SV105 easily casts an 1/8oz road runner with a 2" crappie grub (with 8 or 10F), I don't HAVE to be able to do that with the new reel I am hunting, but would like to know the lower range of a Curado 70 or maybe an estimated guess of how the Chronarch MGL might toss. I really like throwing 3.3"/3.8" Keitechs on an 1/8 or 3/16 head on the rod I have planned for my new reel with 10 or 12F and the SV will dump the spool on those lures. I just wonder mainly if the friction based SVS system has the same ease with lower range finesse lures that the SV105 does, I also know my Zillion TWS (non SV) throws a 3/16 head with a 4" Easy Shiner and 10lb HiSeas fluoro much better than I expected. Thanks.
"North" of America...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:34 am

My Chronarchs(not MGL) have no issue casting a 1/8-3/8oz ball jig with a 3" swimbait(Matrix Shads). Shouldn't have any problems at all casting those Keitechs with the Ch MGL.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:38 am

I understand completely, I just call an alphas that because I am new to this and did pay the extra price. Also all the new Daiwas are majorly based off one another to save money with minor changes to justify price jumps (still love them all).

I just wanted to know from an owner of a curado 70, Chronarch Ci4+, or Chronic MGL their general lowest weight casting range with 10-12Fluoro.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:40 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:My Chronarchs(not MGL) have no issue casting a 1/8-3/8oz ball jig with a 3" swimbait(Matrix Shads). Shouldn't have any problems at all casting those Keitechs with the Ch MGL.
Thank you. I used a friend's Ci4+ for a while during last tournament and he had a Santone 5/16 finesse jig but that would absolutely bomb with 2 brakes on/dial at 3, this was just a tiny bit heavier than what I was hunting.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:50 am

Not sure how the brakes will set up on the new MGL, but with the original version I'm able to go down to 1 brake on and all adjustment is outside. Can absolutely bomb a jig or topwater without even trying. The new brakes should be even better/more adjustment so it should be perfect for those lighter jigs. The original, IMO was better with 3/8 total weight and up for the most part, though I never had problems casting a 3/16oz Flashminnow with it either. The MGL should be better all around.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:08 am

Well I already own the SV, they are cheaper and great, but if I get the Chronarch MGL it should be a little more versatile, I do think the rated line capacity on the Alphas/sv105 is very generous. I have almost gone to spool more than a few times with 3/16 and a larger plastic (using 12lb, 10 or 8 is okay). I know Shimano is great, love my stradic Ci4+, just hard to switch what you are used to sometimes, kinda like the Ford/Chevy issue, or better yet, Nissan/Toyota.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:23 am

If your still thinking Shimano...in particular, the new Chronarch MGL. Tackle Trap has them ready for pre-order!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 06d181091d