Will TWS continue to evolve to smaller reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Will TWS continue to evolve to smaller reels?

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:13 am

I've noticed the first gen Zillion was huge, and this one is significantly smaller profile. I'm still hoping for Steez SV TW ergonomics or at least OG Zillion size. I'm way too picky I know, but I'm wondering if I should hold out for gen 3 of the Zillion TW... They've dropped new models in the Zillion series so quickly lately

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Will TWS continue to evolve to smaller reels?

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:52 am

Someday Daiwa will sell a reel made entirely from T wings.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 am

LowRange wrote:Someday Daiwa will sell a reel made entirely from T wings.
Groovy! Sorry, couldn't help myself. :lol:

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:27 pm

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
"North" of America...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:14 am

mark poulson wrote:
Groovy! Sorry, couldn't help myself. :lol:
=D>

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:42 am

I am surprised that it isn't in any finesse reels other than the T3 AIR. I know it adds a small amount of weight but, you'd think the T Wing would probably be more beneficial to the finesse reels than the traditional bass sized reels. The line rub on the line guide has more affect on lighter lures than bigger lures. The sharp line angles can increase friction , resulting in reduced distance.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:29 pm

ccass wrote:I am surprised that it isn't in any finesse reels other than the T3 AIR. I know it adds a small amount of weight but, you'd think the T Wing would probably be more beneficial to the finesse reels than the traditional bass sized reels. The line rub on the line guide has more affect on lighter lures than bigger lures. The sharp line angles can increase friction , resulting in reduced distance.
I've been thinking the exact same thing. Especially for skipping with lighter baits

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:08 pm

I don't think the T Wing is any better. My PX68R performs way better than my T3 with a shallow spool did with light baits. I don't buy into the TWS hype.
<")))><{

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:23 am

Maybe im wrong, but for me it looks like one more thing that can go wrong.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:56 am

I think at the extremes the TWing might increase casting distance up to maybe 5% as Daiwa claims...but if the guide is in the middle I doubt it makes more than 1% difference. I still think a guide similar to the TDZ/ OG Zillion is all you would ever need.

DaveJ

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: IlliniDawg01

Post by Frosty » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:03 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:I think at the extremes the TWing might increase casting distance up to maybe 5% as Daiwa claims...but if the guide is in the middle I doubt it makes more than 1% difference. I still think a guide similar to the TDZ/ OG Zillion is all you would ever need.

DaveJ
True. I've wondered the same. I always really liked the oversized guide on the OG Zillion and IP reels. I had good success skipping with both reels too. Either way I need to try a T-wing Steez or Zillion before I can come to a conclusion.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:52 am

It would be great if daiwa made a twing that on it's wide spot covered the entire width of the spool
That would essentially let the reel cast as a non levelwind with the benefit of perfectly even line and no constant thumbing required.

Seems to me that many who doubt it never fished larger saltwater round reels.

I've done a few cs to ct conversions. Distance gains are real. I'd love it if daiwa brought the twing into their 400 sized reels. Or ryoga.

in terms of something to break? There is absolutely nothing to it. it works off the thumb bar. ANd engineered as minimally as possible.

spool to levelwind interaction is so significant in distance. Many companies are pushing them further out from the spool or altering the shapes(that distance aids in durability at high drag numbers not needed in bass fishing)......Arrow/ acorn/ twing

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:03 am

I remember taking the line guide off of my PX Type R with the finesse I had a few years ago. The gains were real. I don't remember measuring it out but the lure definitely flew easier and farther.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:06 pm

TWS is not a deal breaker for me or most people, but I like it for pitching and short distance roll-casting. It does allow the spool to start-up with less effort because it doesn't have to fight as much friction. As has been said, it is at its best vs. a non-TWS reel that has had the guide stopped farther from the middle.
I think people expect too much from the TWS, and also upgraded spool bearings. What most don't realize is that only a 3% increase in casting distance will allow you to cover thousands of extra feet of productive water in a day if you make as many casts as I do with reaction baits. Also, fish in clear water are much more likely to bite your lure when it is farther away from the boat. You will have less fatigue if you use less energy to cast.
The problem is, most anglers expect to be able to cast to the moon with TWS or upgraded bearings. Your guides, spool weight, and the smoothness of your fishing line are also important. None should be discounted.
I don't see why the physics shouldn't help with the smallest reels.

brighamvang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brighamvang » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:36 am

i agree, TWS is nothing more than less effort used when casting.