Curado 70 or Casitas MGL?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Curado 70 or Casitas MGL?

Post by nikbrewer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:28 pm

Well, i am changing out my reels this year and trying to decide on the next one. I recently purchased some of the cheaper Shimano reels (Caenan for 75$ new) , (Casitas for 60$ used) and i really like them. I also just picked up a curado 70 HG (150$ new), and i'm really happy with it.

I can decide if i should get another Curado 70, or a Casitas MGL. They are basically the same price. i like that i cea get the MGL in a lower gear ration, as 6.x is my preferred ratio range. I also like that it has a shallower spool, as i don't use a heavy line ( 10-12 lbs max), and deep spools eat up a lot of line i will never use.

Any opinions on these? Which should cast lighter lures?

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Curado 70 or Casitas MGL?

Post by alafly » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:37 pm

Curado 70/71 should be little more expensive than Casitas MGL.

And as far as comparing the construction inside, Curado 70/71 has 2 bearings ( one normal 3×10×4, one smaller 5x9x3) under spool tension noble comparing Casitas only has one. I assume this bearing will help casting little bit. You could even upgrade these bearing and have better casting experience.

And size is different, curado 70 is actally 50 size reel and it feels so comfortable in my hands. Casitas MGL I haven't got a chance to hold it but it's 100 size reel. I assume it will feel little bigger in hands.

For me, I will wait until curado/Scorpion 71 MGL coming out as I have small hands.

For my understanding, Shimano MGL likes Daiwa SV. In the end, these big 2 will have all their reels equipped this weapon to fight their rival.

The only thing I don't like my Shimano Curado 71 is the plastic worm gear. I guess they use the same with Casitas MGL.
nikbrewer wrote:Well, i am changing out my reels this year and trying to decide on the next one. I recently purchased some of the cheaper Shimano reels (Caenan for 75$ new) , (Casitas for 60$ used) and i really like them. I also just picked up a curado 70 HG (150$ new), and i'm really happy with it.

I can decide if i should get another Curado 70, or a Casitas MGL. They are basically the same price. i like that i cea get the MGL in a lower gear ration, as 6.x is my preferred ratio range. I also like that it has a shallower spool, as i don't use a heavy line ( 10-12 lbs max), and deep spools eat up a lot of line i will never use.

"North" of America...

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:58 pm

alafly wrote:Curado 70/71 should be little more expensive than Casitas MGL.

And as far as comparing the construction inside, Curado 70/71 has 2 bearings ( one normal 3×10×4, one smaller 5x9x3) under spool tension noble comparing Casitas only has one. I assume this bearing will help casting little bit. You could even upgrade these bearing and have better casting experience.

And size is different, curado 70 is actally 50 size reel and it feels so comfortable in my hands. Casitas MGL I haven't got a chance to hold it but it's 100 size reel. I assume it will feel little bigger in hands.

For me, I will wait until curado/Scorpion 71 MGL coming out as I have small hands.

For my understanding, Shimano MGL likes Daiwa SV. In the end, these big 2 will have all their reels equipped this weapon to fight their rival.

The only thing I don't like my Shimano Curado 71 is the plastic worm gear. I guess they use the same with Casitas MGL.
nikbrewer wrote:Well, i am changing out my reels this year and trying to decide on the next one. I recently purchased some of the cheaper Shimano reels (Caenan for 75$ new) , (Casitas for 60$ used) and i really like them. I also just picked up a curado 70 HG (150$ new), and i'm really happy with it.

MGL is not anything close to SV. The Casitas MGL may cast better because the spool is approaching BFS weight, but I've casted really light weights with the curado as well. I've noticed the MGL spool seems to work better in lighter spool's like the Metanium MGL.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:16 am

like = like the strategy they use(not exact technical) :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= For technical, I will compare DC with SV. But DC always means expensive for Shimano at least by now...
rival = same price lever product
Bootytrain wrote:

MGL is not anything close to SV. The Casitas MGL may cast better because the spool is approaching BFS weight, but I've casted really light weights with the curado as well. I've noticed the MGL spool seems to work better in lighter spool's like the Metanium MGL.
Last edited by alafly on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
"North" of America...

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:31 am

well, MSRP is about 50$ difference, But i have found a online retailer that sells the curado for like $151 shipped.

Size does not seem to be too far off, i find both reels nice to hold, and i am ok with a composite frame. I liked that the casitas has the 100 sized spool verse the 150 of the US version. Both seem like they will work well, and both get good reviews on this site, so its going to be hard. I am leaning towards the MGL, mainly because its something i don't have, and i prefer the slower gear ratio in my reels

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:59 am

nikbrewer wrote:well, MSRP is about 50$ difference, But i have found a online retailer that sells the curado for like $151 shipped.

Size does not seem to be too far off, i find both reels nice to hold, and i am ok with a composite frame. I liked that the casitas has the 100 sized spool verse the 150 of the US version. Both seem like they will work well, and both get good reviews on this site, so its going to be hard. I am leaning towards the MGL, mainly because its something i don't have, and i prefer the slower gear ratio in my reels
Care to share this info? :big grin:
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:13 am

Bootytrain wrote:

I thought the SV versus MGL was a good comparison, they are both technologies attempting to lighten spools for better casting...

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:39 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

I thought the SV versus MGL was a good comparison, they are both technologies attempting to lighten spools for better casting...
The increase in casting on "MGL" spools are mostly from the newer brakes IMO. "SV" spools twisting rotor allows for maximum braking sooner and longer, this let's you cast lighter lures, have less backlashes, but as often reported decreases overall distance, I can attest to this with my SS SV. 2 different principles.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:17 am

Bootytrain wrote: ... but as often reported decreases overall distance, I can attest to this with my SS SV. .
Good assessment of the 2 braking concepts but if I remember correctly the SS SV is the most restrictive of the SV equipped reel family. Magnets I believe are different ... from another thread. My SV103 reels and Steez EX's with SV103 spools don't seem to be nearly as restrictive as the SS SV line. I feel in some techniques the control of SV can sometimes net a equal or greater cast then that of a OG spool. However in open water bombing with heavier reaction lures I do prefer OG spools.

Of course everyone's thumb is different :lol:
Last edited by jpd0144 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 am

I am pretty sure the SS/SV103 has Magforce Z like lower end models and the other SV reels have Air Brake or some variation on Magforce. I know comparing to the Steez SV or SV103, etc. reels with same spool, the SS/SV103 inductor is different. I had strangely posted on this somewhere else recently concerning Daiwa interchangeable spools.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:49 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I am pretty sure the SS/SV103 has Magforce Z like lower end models and the other SV reels have Air Brake or some variation on Magforce. I know comparing to the Steez SV or SV103, etc. reels with same spool, the SS/SV103 inductor is different. I had strangely posted on this somewhere else recently concerning Daiwa interchangeable spools.
AHHHH ! ... You just answered a question I had posted on the SS SV vs SV103 rotor that I never got an answer on.

I believe this sums up the braking types ...

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 80#p591819

To the OP:
nikbrewer wrote:

The cu70 is listed at 12 lb 85 and the MGL is listed at 12 lb 110.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimcasitasmgl.html

http://www.tackletour.com/previewshimanocurado70.html

Of the 2 I'd pick the cu70 over the casitas mgl. Ive fished both for a while and fit, finish, and refinement goes to the Cu70 in my hands. Especially after extended use (landing several 8-12 lb. redfish, trout, and flounder - 30 lb PP to 20 lb flouro leader). If the Casitas was made of Ci4+ material in my opinion it would be a closer call. The cu70 still feels as solid as the day it was purchased. Plus it seems the 70 holds less line as you were wanting.

Sorry for getting off track above.