No Shimano, No Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: No Shimano, No Daiwa

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:14 am

Id own a few Lews Team Lites and be perfectly content.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:35 am

Doyo BPS PQ platfrom. Shallow spool. Awesome mystical big cat name. Lighter Faster Stronger. What's not love about the Doyo Liger LFS???

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:42 am

The All Terrain 2 looks interesting. What About All Terrain 1???

Last edited by LowRange on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 am

Found it! Looks familiar

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:57 am

Banax
Attachments
Banax.gif
Banax.gif (28.9 KiB) Viewed 5596 times

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:12 am

Thank you LowRange for very interesting background info for Abu and Lews. :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Have a nice weekend!
"North" of America...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:34 am

I have learned a ton from this thread, I wonder if I hit the lottery if they'd engineer reels for personal use...

Of course if I hit the lotto I would have all metanium/steez and the exsence (anything I could blow $ on), on all corresponding Loomis rods.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:47 am

I'd quit and try some new hobbies? ;) :lol:

Nah I'd probably just own a slew of 13, Abu & Lews...FWIW, my Concept C is my favorite non-Shimano/Daiwa

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:56 am

I'd probably try some Lews and 13 reels out and hope they don't have all the issues Revo's have.
Without Shimano and Daiwa there would be zero innovation in the reel market.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:58 am

If you can find the cash you can bring a reel to market of your own name and name plate. Someday I intend to bring the Poopy Butthole line of reels to the market under 'Tard Fishing.

Someday

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:22 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I understand all the back and forth between these 2 major fishing reel manufacturers, and being new to the site noticed a poll currently has 322 posts relating to the topic. Now the question I have, is if all those who voted Daiwa or Shimano had to use neither of them, who would your reel manufacturer be?
My vote if it couldn't be for my obvious #1 and #2 would be for Abu Garcia...
Also being new I hope I haven't started too many threads, but this is just too burning of a question in my head not to ask...

So once again, if you could by NO MEANS have Daiwa or Shimano (baitcast &/or spinning) who would your choice be???
I didn't realize that there were others and since megabass is based off the daiwa platform I'd go to therapy and figure it out
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:48 am

I'd be sad, but I'd probably go with Lews. I used to own a couple back in the day and they were decent reels.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 am

LowRange wrote:
johnD wrote:probably okuma. as okuma , shimano and daiwa have their own factory's. idk who makes lew's and abu low profile reels...

Hate to break it to ya, but Okumas are Banax rebrands. They're one of a better examples of a Banax though. Lews are rebranded Doyos and are good reels for the money. The Abu Revos are also Doyos but are bit different in that they sometimes use their own breaking system and I believe they have exclusive access to the platform. They may have even requested a unique platform be made just for the Revo reels rather than selecting an existing one. Can't confirm this.

Doyo Korea: http://www.doyofishing.co.kr/main/index

Banax Korea: http://banax.co.kr/
you're right. idk why i thought that..tica makes their saltwater reels. okuma actually builds cnc machines for ppl like aerospace vendors.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:10 pm

I would probably take up bowling if I couldn't have Daiwa and Shimano reels. :crying:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:I would probably take up bowling if I couldn't have Daiwa and Shimano reels. :crying:
It would really, really be hard. All of my personal bests have been on Shimano/Daiwa. Stradic Ci4+ for LM Bass, on a 3.3" Keitech, SM Bass was Tatula R 8.1 with a 4" swimbait. Walleye was dropshotting on the SV105, Spotted Bass was on Tatula HD flipping a monster 3/4oz jig with 25lb Sunline FC Flippin, was prepared to fight monster, ended up with maybe a 3lb spot.