No Shimano, No Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: No Shimano, No Daiwa

Post by KlingerNOK » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:56 pm

masterbass wrote:I'd be sad, but I'd probably go with Lews. I used to own a couple back in the day and they were decent reels.
The ones built by Shimano...

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:06 pm

KlingerNOK wrote:
masterbass wrote:I'd be sad, but I'd probably go with Lews. I used to own a couple back in the day and they were decent reels.
The ones built by Shimano...
I know a guy that has at least 20 of those old lew's built by shimano.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:25 pm

Just wondering how those Lews, BPS, Ardent, Pinnacle, Pflueger, etc reels cast vs Daiwa, Shimano counterparts (Antares DC, Daiwa Morethan, Daiwa T3, Metanium MGL, etc.)

Never owned brands mentioned above. Main reason, I very seldom buy something below $300 price point.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:37 pm

I have a BB1 Pro 7.1 with 40lb Super Slick and it isn't a bad reel. It just doesn't have that... well you would have to own and compare to tell. I also own a Revo Winch which is a bad machine (assuming you are using 1/2+oz lures) besides the thumb bar sticking every once in a while. I feel sick every time I see those two reels though because I could have bought Zillion TWS for like 150 when TW had the blowout sale on them... I would probably crank more if I had a solid 6 speed reel that could cast lighter...

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:41 pm

13 Fishing. No doubt. I have Concept C and A3. A3 is super fine for big lures.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Abu JDM.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 pm

Abu Garcia.
I like Abu about the same as Daiwa. While the Abu low profile reels may be very similar to other reels (I still love the MGXtreme etc), Abu also make their classic round reels including the Mørrums - many of which are still made in Sweden. Plus you can get Avail and ZPi spools for many of the Abu reels.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:Megabass. ;)
Yes!

However, if Megabass is not included, I suppose I'd have to go with Lew's. I am a Daiwa/Shimano/Megabass exclusive reel guy. I will demo a few other reels/models from time to time for informational purposes, but in my permanent collection, it's all Daiwa/Shimao/Megabass reels. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:18 am

Cane pole. :lol:

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:22 am

What abut Quantum? I never used one but KVD is using them for more than 20 years and won a "few" tournaments. Just making me wonder why they are not so popular on TT?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:57 am

Patex wrote:What abut Quantum? I never used one but KVD is using them for more than 20 years and won a "few" tournaments. Just making me wonder why they are not so popular on TT?
From my personal and about 3 tournament fishing friends with more money than me's experience, they just don't hold up as well. I have seen Tour Mg's and other mid to higher end quantum reels bomb lures on my local river, just after years of fishing with friends and random fisherman, they are either having to switch or buy new ones (quantums). I am sure some are fine and they honor warranties ok, but for average consumers (at least to my personal knowledge), they don't have the reliability.

Anymore it seems the big four are 1/2: Daiwa/Shimano, interchangeably 3/4: Lew's/Abu Garcia, interchangeably.

Tom G
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Tom G » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:26 am

Lew's. Lots of guys rave about them, and they look solid.

I ran Quantum years back, but was unimpressed with their durability and availability of parts. Never again.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 am

I'm converting all of my reels over to Shimano (Thankfully I don't have a ton to begin with), and the only other two I've had are Okuma and Lews. The Okuma (Helios Air) is solid, but not refined compared to its counterparts at the same price point (Chronarch Ci4+ is the only one I've seriously handled) and a Lews Tournament Lite I still use for frogging. To be honest, I like the Lews a lot more, even though it's almost $100 cheaper, so I'd have to say Lews if Shimano and Daiwa ceased to exist. I hear too many horror stories with Quantum, and was never impressed with the refinement of Ardent or 13 Fishing.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:16 am

I own Quantum Energy and EXO baitcasters, which I have been happy with. I think that I would also enjoy using reels from Lews, 13 fishing and many other brands. However, I am still a little perplexed that Lews are considered equal to or better than ABU... :-k

ABU has great small low profile reels: MGX, MGXtreme, LTX, ALC, Aurora etc. They have some very nice medium-sized and large low profile reels: Revo Beast, Toro NaCl/Beast, Toro Rocket. And finally some tried and true round reels: Ambassadeur 1500-2500, 1600-2600, Record C6, Pro Rocket, Inshore/Predator, Beast, Mørrum, Special editions for the Swedish/EU market "from" Svartzonker and Ge Fan i Våra Vatten, Factory Tuned JDM models etc.
As mentioned above, aftermarket parts from Avail and ZPi plus UK based Rocket Reel Company or Swedish UT/Ulf Tingstrom Reel Technology make the ABU reels shine even more IMO.

On the Lews website I find three new generation reels (240-280 usd) that I will have to try.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:58 am

Dalleinf wrote:I own Quantum Energy and EXO baitcasters, which I have been happy with. I think that I would also enjoy using reels from Lews, 13 fishing and many other brands. However, I am still a little perplexed that Lews are considered equal to or better than ABU... :-k

ABU has great small low profile reels: MGX, MGXtreme, LTX, ALC, Aurora etc. They have some very nice medium-sized and large low profile reels: Revo Beast, Toro NaCl/Beast, Toro Rocket. And finally some tried and true round reels: Ambassadeur 1500-2500, 1600-2600, Record C6, Pro Rocket, Inshore/Predator, Beast, Mørrum, Special editions for the Swedish/EU market "from" Svartzonker and Ge Fan i Våra Vatten, Factory Tuned JDM models etc.
As mentioned above, aftermarket parts from Avail and ZPi plus UK based Rocket Reel Company or Swedish UT/Ulf Tingstrom Reel Technology make the ABU reels shine even more IMO.

On the Lews website I find three new generation reels (240-280 usd) that I will have to try.
For me it's the build issues. I had a Team Lite and still have a Revo Elite and I didn't feel the elite was worth the 380 they wanted for it. The team lite however was worth the 240 price tag to me. The thumb bar is more refined and it casted better. Strange since they are both Doyo built.