No Shimano, No Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

No Shimano, No Daiwa

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:36 am

I understand all the back and forth between these 2 major fishing reel manufacturers, and being new to the site noticed a poll currently has 322 posts relating to the topic. Now the question I have, is if all those who voted Daiwa or Shimano had to use neither of them, who would your reel manufacturer be?
My vote if it couldn't be for my obvious #1 and #2 would be for Abu Garcia...
Also being new I hope I haven't started too many threads, but this is just too burning of a question in my head not to ask...

So once again, if you could by NO MEANS have Daiwa or Shimano (baitcast &/or spinning) who would your choice be???

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: No Shimano, No Daiwa

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:21 am

Megabass. ;)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:22 am

Probably some Korean OEM crap. Once you step outside Daiwa and Shimano the vast majority of reels are badge engineered Korean OEM including the Abu Garcia low profile reels. Of the big 3 Korean OEMs I'm partial Doyo. I'd opt for a "Abu Garcia Revo" or "Lews". Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those Banax shallow spool reel badged as Tailwalk Elan though.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=72700

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:23 am

edit
Last edited by johnD on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:52 am

I have a Lew's that works great and they are very popular in the midwest. The new Revos, ALX platform, looks great and I would probably try one of them.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:07 am

1st off, that would blow. I would likely roll with Pflueger :-k

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:10 am

I'd go with Okuma or Abu

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:24 am

johnD wrote:probably okuma. as okuma , shimano and daiwa have their own factory's. idk who makes lew's and abu low profile reels...

Hate to break it to ya, but Okumas are Banax rebrands. They're one of a better examples of a Banax though. Lews are rebranded Doyos and are good reels for the money. The Abu Revos are also Doyos but are bit different in that they sometimes use their own breaking system and I believe they have exclusive access to the platform. They may have even requested a unique platform be made just for the Revo reels rather than selecting an existing one. Can't confirm this.

Doyo Korea: http://www.doyofishing.co.kr/main/index

Banax Korea: http://banax.co.kr/

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:48 am

Can someone better explain the Doyo brand or manufacturer? I figure this is why Abu is quicker to send you a full replacement, they are just cheaper to make. Don't get me wrong, I love all my revo reels, just obvious differences.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:02 am

Doyo is a Korean OEM fishing reel company. Much like all the other Korean OEMs they design, engineer and manufacture their reels. They offer their reels for sale with the ability to order them with your own branding and built to your specs. What Lews, Abu, Okuma, Quantum, BPS and so and so on have done is order Korean OEM reels in their chose of colors, specs and branding then sell them as their own product. They're re-branded reels.

EDIT: oops hand Banax listed a company purchasing from an OEM. They ARE one of the OEMs.
Last edited by LowRange on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:23 am

I'm going to assume that MB are off limits so my 4th choice would be Abu.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:24 am

Lew's are solid reels for the money. I started with them and would be happy to fish with them again.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:28 am

LowRange wrote:The Abu Revos are also Doyos but are bit different in that they sometimes use their own breaking system and I believe they have exclusive access to the platform. They may have even requested a unique platform be made just for the Revo reels rather than selecting an existing one. Can't confirm this.
I thought abu was its own thing, I suppose this explains the extraordinary discounts you can get on revos compared to anything shimano and most daiwas.

Does 13 fall into the revo model?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:42 am

reason162 wrote:
LowRange wrote:The Abu Revos are also Doyos but are bit different in that they sometimes use their own breaking system and I believe they have exclusive access to the platform. They may have even requested a unique platform be made just for the Revo reels rather than selecting an existing one. Can't confirm this.
I thought abu was its own thing, I suppose this explains the extraordinary discounts you can get on revos compared to anything shimano and most daiwas.

Does 13 fall into the revo model?
13 is a bit different. To my understanding their reels are a bit of a hybrid between Korean OEM and their own Intellectual property. I believe the frame and possibly the side plates are a 13 Fishing owned design and that they even own the tooling to produce it even though the tooling is installed on machines in a Banax plant. The braking system and other guts of the reel are Banax to the best of my knowledge.

The Abu Revos are Doyos. They tested the waters with a Cabelas exclusive low price point Revo and moved on from there. I believe the round reels are still Abu. I can't blame them for going Korean OEM with the Revo after the disaster that was the EON.

lmbfisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lmbfisherman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:53 am

Okuma for me.