Chronarch MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL

Post by mark poulson » Fri May 05, 2017 12:44 am

Strewth wrote:Not a fan of ported sides on spools for saltwater use, especially with braid which holds water. Makes it easy for saltwater to migrate to the spool shaft and hence bearings. Will be interested to see how these reels hold up over time when used in saltwater.
Does wetting the braid first with fresh water, or treating it with a line conditioner, help hold down the salt water intrusion?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:28 am

mark poulson wrote:
Strewth wrote:Not a fan of ported sides on spools for saltwater use, especially with braid which holds water. Makes it easy for saltwater to migrate to the spool shaft and hence bearings. Will be interested to see how these reels hold up over time when used in saltwater.
Does wetting the braid first with fresh water, or treating it with a line conditioner, help hold down the salt water intrusion?
Possibly, I think the line conditioners are silicone based products (don't quote me on it), but they chemicals they add on line don't last long so I would continue to use it for help preventing rust.
It does seem that my reels with more line conditioner have less dirty bearings when cleaning time comes...

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Any updates on saltwater use/abuse?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:56 am

Does anyone know where the extra bearing is on the Chronarch MGL vs the Ci4+?

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:08 pm

It sits on the drive shaft just before the drag compression washers go on.
The mgl also has a bushing on the worm gear and one per knob that can be replaced with bearings.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:04 am

A plastic reel that can't be used in salt because the spool rusts??? How unfortunate. Sad even.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 am

Just want to say I am really impressed by this reel. Been out with the Chronarch MGL twice now, this thing is a great caster. I haven't even flushed the bearings yet as I need to pick up some more acetone. Pitching is smooth and effortless, more so than my Met '13, really makes me want to upgrade that reel to the Met MGL. Yesterday I was casting an 1/8oz weighted hook with a fluke a very long way with an NRX 843 and 16lb sniper. My favorite reel in my arsenal is the Met '13 but this thing is really giving it a run for its money.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Mike son wrote:Just want to say I am really impressed by this reel. Been out with the Chronarch MGL twice now, this thing is a great caster. I haven't even flushed the bearings yet as I need to pick up some more acetone. Pitching is smooth and effortless, more so than my Met '13, really makes me want to upgrade that reel to the Met MGL. Yesterday I was casting an 1/8oz weighted hook with a fluke a very long way with an NRX 843 and 16lb sniper. My favorite reel in my arsenal is the Met '13 but this thing is really giving it a run for its money.
Have you casted anything super light weight? I'm really on the fence about buying one. Love my Zillion SV, but I sold some old Revo's and I'm not sure I wanna buy the same thing. Also having an 8 speed would be nice, if I get one I will probably use it on a 7' medium Villain 2.0 for 3/16 heads and 3.3 swimbaits. Also probably use it for jerkbaits, light TX rigs/jigs, etc. How do you think it would handle those?

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:20 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mike son wrote:Just want to say I am really impressed by this reel. Been out with the Chronarch MGL twice now, this thing is a great caster. I haven't even flushed the bearings yet as I need to pick up some more acetone. Pitching is smooth and effortless, more so than my Met '13, really makes me want to upgrade that reel to the Met MGL. Yesterday I was casting an 1/8oz weighted hook with a fluke a very long way with an NRX 843 and 16lb sniper. My favorite reel in my arsenal is the Met '13 but this thing is really giving it a run for its money.
Have you casted anything super light weight? I'm really on the fence about buying one. Love my Zillion SV, but I sold some old Revo's and I'm not sure I wanna buy the same thing. Also having an 8 speed would be nice, if I get one I will probably use it on a 7' medium Villain 2.0 for 3/16 heads and 3.3 swimbaits. Also probably use it for jerkbaits, light TX rigs/jigs, etc. How do you think it would handle those?
I have not casted anything super light weight. I'd bet the fluke and 1/8oz weighted hook total out to 1/4oz. I'd think it would cast your 3/16oz heads plus plastic easily as long as the rod you are using loads up okay, that should easily weigh over 1/4oz when you consider the weight of the plastic you'll be using.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:51 am

LowRange wrote:A plastic reel that can't be used in salt because the spool rusts??? How unfortunate. Sad even.
Aluminum doesn't rust, it corrodes. The thin A7075 material and lack of routine maintenance can lead to corrosion. Because of this we decided to label the Chronarch MGL as freshwater use only. If you are good about cleaning your reels, you will not have any issues.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:39 am

Mine corrode no matter what. I remove spools after every use and wash them down, and they still corrode. Unless you are removing the line and washing it down as well, there's no way to get all the salt removed. I agree it is sad that the best reel I've used for inshore fishing that is corrosion proof has this problem. The Metanium spool also corroded, but my Curado 71 hasn't, so it's looking like its a problem with all new Shimanos that aren't aluminum framed. None of my Cores had this problem. My question is, how do they not find these problems in testing? Pretty serious issue.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:43 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Mine corrode no matter what. I remove spools after every use and wash them down, and they still corrode. Unless you are removing the line and washing it down as well, there's no way to get all the salt removed. I agree it is sad that the best reel I've used for inshore fishing that is corrosion proof has this problem. The Metanium spool also corroded, but my Curado 71 hasn't, so it's looking like its a problem with all new Shimanos that aren't aluminum framed. None of my Cores had this problem. My question is, how do they not find these problems in testing? Pretty serious issue.
Is it possibly related to only Shimanos you own with MGL spools??? I have heard that a possible aluminum alloy used in spool manufacture could relate to the issue.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:12 am

LowRange wrote:A plastic reel that can't be used in salt because the spool rusts??? How unfortunate. Sad even.
Its because of the stupid aluminium alloy of the spool... The characteristics of the near enough pot metal 7075 is light and strong but the counteracting effects of said alloy is that saltwater attacks it like a axe wielding bastard - aluminium and zinc of all things. The anodized surface thickness is so mentally thin its pointless as well...

The spools in Ci4 Chronarch's here have been replaced many times under "warranty" its ridiculous, they were marketed as saltwater safe... Safe enough to be used in the bath tub imho.

I think the word to describe this situation is as aforementioned here on TT is "Verschlimmbesserung"...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:30 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:Mine corrode no matter what. I remove spools after every use and wash them down, and they still corrode. Unless you are removing the line and washing it down as well, there's no way to get all the salt removed. I agree it is sad that the best reel I've used for inshore fishing that is corrosion proof has this problem. The Metanium spool also corroded, but my Curado 71 hasn't, so it's looking like its a problem with all new Shimanos that aren't aluminum framed. None of my Cores had this problem. My question is, how do they not find these problems in testing? Pretty serious issue.
Is it possibly related to only Shimanos you own with MGL spools??? I have heard that a possible aluminum alloy used in spool manufacture could relate to the issue.
It has been more of an issue with the CI4+ and '13 Met. I've only been using my CH MGL for a short time, and it's already showing signs, so it's going to freshwater rotation with the Mets. Haven't used my Met MGL inshore. As you and Slazmo have said, it most definitely has to do with whatever alloy they are using now, as well as the differences in materials of the frame. Next reel to try is the '17 Stile SS, and hopefully it really is saltwater capable.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:42 am

Also wanted to add that Shimanos service on this issue was second to none. They sent me new spools for each reel(5 spools) quickly, and asked that the damaged spools be sent back to them. =D>