Best reel for skipping.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best reel for skipping.

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:51 am

I'm wondering what the best reel is for skipping with bigger line(20lb.) and 3/8oz. Lures. Between the met, sv103, and tatula sv are the reels I'm thinking of. (Leaving out the alphas due to line capacity and being too finesse for this app). Is the t-wing a lot better than traditional line guide for skipping?

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best reel for skipping.

Post by Black Haze » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:08 am

I skip with the alphas 105 sv fine with 17lb and 3/8-1/2 and has plenty of line capacity for skipping...the ss sv 103 and steez sv works great for me too..... im sure the tatula sv and sv103 would work just as well if not better

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:46 am

I second the Sv105 being capable, god I wish Daiwa had more domestic small baitcasters... and weren't discontinuing my favorite at that.

This aside, I would assume the SV103 would be fine, my SS/SV103 is brutal for control, I had my girlfriend learn on it with 3/8oz jig and very few lashes.

Honestly with 17+ fluoro skipping becomes easier for me, on just about any reel, Daiwa's magforce/air brake seem to rule this area though.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:03 am

I gave Ian (e_bassfisher) a list of reels and asked him which would be the best for me to learn how to skip with. His answer was the Alphas SV105 he tuned for me. However, none of the reels you mentioned were on my list. Skipping doesn't take much line. At least I don't think it would for me as a beginner. The Alphas SV is pretty short on line capacity especially if using 20 pound. Anyone have an idea how much 20# would fit on the Alphas? BH how much 17# fits? That is the heaviest mono I have on hand. Mine is currently spooled with 12# AN40.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:10 am

Sometimes you need to skip a bait a longgggg ways. Not enough spool capacity on an alphas, especially after retieing many times throughout the day.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:38 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:I gave Ian (e_bassfisher) a list of reels and asked him which would be the best for me to learn how to skip with. His answer was the Alphas SV105 he tuned for me. However, none of the reels you mentioned were on my list. Skipping doesn't take much line. At least I don't think it would for me as a beginner. The Alphas SV is pretty short on line capacity especially if using 20 pound. Anyone have an idea how much 20# would fit on the Alphas? BH how much 17# fits? That is the heaviest mono I have on hand. Mine is currently spooled with 12# AN40.

200' of 16# Sniper FC goes on my SV105

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:27 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:Sometimes you need to skip a bait a longgggg ways. Not enough spool capacity on an alphas, especially after retieing many times throughout the day.
What the hell are you skipping, a rocket? :shock:

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:23 am

LowRange wrote:
lifeofRiley wrote:Sometimes you need to skip a bait a longgggg ways. Not enough spool capacity on an alphas, especially after retieing many times throughout the day.
What the hell are you skipping, a rocket? :shock:
What is your setup and can you use an alphas for a long 8 hour plus day skipping a jig around heavy cover? I mainly skip a 3/8oz.jig around docks and timber on 20lb. Fluoro or nylon. Also it really helps to avoid backlashes when you don't fill the spool to the brim. Yanking bass from under metal boat lifts eats up A LOT of line during the day as often you have to cut up to two feet of line after most fish catches. Andy Montgomery is a Daiwa pro on the elite series and known as one of the best skippers out there. I'm pretty sure he uses a tatula.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:58 am

I'm not cutting 2 feet of line off after each fish or spoiling with #20 fluorocarbon. That would be overkill for wooden docks I fish. I use #12 sniper and only retie as needed.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
new2BC4bass wrote:I gave Ian (e_bassfisher) a list of reels and asked him which would be the best for me to learn how to skip with. His answer was the Alphas SV105 he tuned for me. However, none of the reels you mentioned were on my list. Skipping doesn't take much line. At least I don't think it would for me as a beginner. The Alphas SV is pretty short on line capacity especially if using 20 pound. Anyone have an idea how much 20# would fit on the Alphas? BH how much 17# fits? That is the heaviest mono I have on hand. Mine is currently spooled with 12# AN40.

200' of 16# Sniper FC goes on my SV105
Thanks a lot.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:02 pm

I skipped with my Alphas SV for two seasons using the same spool of line, 40lb Power Pro with just enough 10lb mono backing to cover the spool. Used it from heavy wooded laydowns to docks to thick beaver huts on an 893c to start then onto a X7 EM. If you're using fluoro thats another story as it nicks so easily in heavy cover you need to constantly trim it to keep it fresh, hence why I went to braid. I saw no discernible lack in hookups either.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:33 pm

I find a standard Tat CT my best skipping reel with 20 fluoro. It beats my 105, SSSV and standard OG Zillion for me, and I think it's because the T wing actually makes a difference with thick springy line. They all work, but I find the CT the easiest. I expect a Tat SV or Zillion SV would be about as good as you could get.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Shimano DC reels