SV Spool Paranoia

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV Spool Paranoia

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:00 pm

poisonokie wrote:I think it tends to happen with a sudden backlash. If it does, you'll know. Ive never had it occur unless i got a backlash that stopped the spool instantly.
Maybe we can CSI this problem from user responses and figure it out. So far this makes the most sense, super high RPM small light piece of beveled plastic spins then stops suddenly, it is going to go toward the lowest spot of resistance (which is that horribly designed gap, where the inductor sticks).

Also, so far, mine look perfect and to my knowledge have NEVER stuck, I also fish a very open river (no trees to hit and backlash) and do not get to fish nearly as much, never backlash and rarely skip, so it makes sense mine shouldn't have the issue.

A pointer I would give people first trying these reels is don't mess with the inductor if not necessary, if something is wrong do what you have to, but twisting that inductor back and forth to "test" it is only going to initiate damage.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 pm

poisonokie wrote:I think it tends to happen with a sudden backlash. If it does, you'll know. Ive never had it occur unless i got a backlash that stopped the spool instantly.
Maybe we can CSI this problem from user responses and figure it out. So far this makes the most sense, super high RPM small light piece of beveled plastic spins then stops suddenly, it is going to go toward the lowest spot of resistance (which is that horribly designed gap, where the inductor sticks).

Also, so far, mine look perfect and to my knowledge have NEVER stuck, I also fish a very open river (no trees to hit and backlash) and do not get to fish nearly as much, never backlash and rarely skip, so it makes sense mine shouldn't have the issue.

A pointer I would give people first trying these reels is don't mess with the inductor if not necessary, if something is wrong do what you have to, but twisting that inductor back and forth to "test" it is only going to initiate damage.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:58 pm

I went ahead and bought this inductor"sort of" and mounts, all is well working fine for a few weeks now no stuck inductor. By "sort of" the one pictured is what I thought I was going to get. The one I received wasnt gold though it is black colored.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:25 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Image

I went ahead and bought this inductor"sort of" and mounts, all is well working fine for a few weeks now no stuck inductor. By "sort of" the one pictured is what I thought I was going to get. The one I received wasnt gold though it is black colored.

Has the Ray's inductor changed the braking profile or made the spool faster?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:54 pm

It seems pretty much the same but this black inductor does have a different form. My stuck inductor happened pretty close to when I first bought the reel so its been a while March 2016 since I actually used the stock set-up trouble free. I went as far as epoxying the stock inductor to a fixed outer position. I am using the same brake setting as the original inductor. I use the reel for paddletails 3.8" w 1/4oz jighead and havent went to anything light so far post new inductor but all seems like the old inductor its just not getting stuck. I have a stiffer spring that I used with the old inductor to try to get the sticking to stop that didnt help though. I may at some point put the stiffer spring back in but for now Im satisfied as is.

I took a quick pic of the black inductor

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:57 pm

What reel were you having issues with again??? My SV105 and SS/SV are totally stock and still running strong. I figure I can do the replacement if necessary or have Daiwa do it, but for now have no reason too, especially because I plan on buying a G1 SV spool for the SS/SV.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:08 am

I have the SV105P

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:15 pm

For an SS SV, that Ray's inductor is much lighter and thinner, but the new blocks don't offer as much range of motion. Still, to me it's like a completely different caster. Definitely faster start up, and you can get better distance, but at the expense of having a rowdier spool. I like it better, especially since that reel got to where it was sticking on every cast. It bombs small topwaters and paddle tails out there. My sv1000 spool has done it a couple of times on a hard backlash, but since I only use 8# fluoro and finesse baits with it now, I have no trouble at all. Great caster with light baits.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 pm

poisonokie wrote:For an SS SV, that Ray's inductor is much lighter and thinner, but the new blocks don't offer as much range of motion. Still, to me it's like a completely different caster. Definitely faster start up, and you can get better distance, but at the expense of having a rowdier spool. I like it better, especially since that reel got to where it was sticking on every cast. It bombs small topwaters and paddle tails out there. My sv1000 spool has done it a couple of times on a hard backlash, but since I only use 8# fluoro and finesse baits with it now, I have no trouble at all. Great caster with light baits.
I'm going G1 SV TW Zillion spool for my SS/SV if they are ever back in stock, if not going to try the SV103 maybe. Honestly I know it sounds crazy, but my SS/SV casts a DT6 plenty far for most all fishing. My Chronarch MGL and Zillion SV both trump it in distance, but its not an insane amount like 20 yards (for me at least).

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:17 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I'm going G1 SV TW Zillion spool for my SS/SV if they are ever back in stock, if not going to try the SV103 maybe. Honestly I know it sounds crazy, but my SS/SV casts a DT6 plenty far for most all fishing. My Chronarch MGL and Zillion SV both trump it in distance, but its not an insane amount like 20 yards (for me at least).
The G1 zillion spool was a good addition to my sv103’s. I do have 2 stock 103 spools if you decide to go that route.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Are there any spools of the same size that are close to the G1 zillion spool? They are hard to find or crazy expensive now but I did some swapping and my SV103 was absolutely casting with far greater ease and with a greater usable braking range.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Houndfish wrote:Are there any spools of the same size that are close to the G1 zillion spool? They are hard to find or crazy expensive now but I did some swapping and my SV103 was absolutely casting with far greater ease and with a greater usable braking range.
The closest thing will be the SLP RCS 1012SV. It comes in the colored duraluminum version, and the black G1 version. It's also more expensive, but has a slight performance increase over the Zillion SV TW spool.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Im not having any luck with this inductor issue. Ive now went from a stuck inductor to the opposite a loose inductor :evil: WTF
after just a few outings. Today I went out and started getting big overruns couldnt think of why same paddle tail as last outing but thought maybe the brakes got moved so turned dial a few clicks still big overrun. I set the brakes to max that still didnt help. I took off the side plate to check if the inductor might be stuck but it wasnt. It moved in out just fine. I gave it slight twist and it twisted very easily but didnt stop twisting just went in circle. The inductor part came loose from the white bracket(see picture). Once I got home I put the stock inductor back on but left the Ray's base spool bracket and it fit fine. So hopefully it will work now.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Good ol Ray's glue. Their inductors are notorious for ungluing like that and free spinning. Regluing the inductor back on with a quality adhesive usually does the trick

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:01 pm

The Ray’s lower inductor block is not exactly like the newly designed ones from Daiwa. Best thing to do is contact Spankey at Tackle Trap and get the oem Daiwa part. I’ve done a bunch of swapping with Inductors,springs, and lower blocks just to see what different results I get. As mentioned the range of motion isn’t the same on the Ray’s. A stock SV105 spool with upgraded inductor block is a good combination. Pair that with the stiffer spring and the reel definitely wakes up. I’ve just gotten into the habit of swapping the lower block out for the newer ones on any spool I get that has the old style. I fished this entire season and haven’t had another stuck inductor since finding out about the newer version.