How well does braided line cast on a baitcaster?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How well does braided line cast on a baitcaster?

Post by Prancing Pony » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:06 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:Braid also has less resistance through the guides.
Of course it does because it's limper and lighter. But I guess you're talking about its lower coefficient of friction that comes from the PE material and the coating, right? On that part, once again I believe its advantage is greatly diminished when it's soaked with water. Braided line is virtually a long, thin piece of sponge and loves to stick to other stuff when it's wet.
Mike and Pike wrote:Also, if you look at the actual breaking strength and compare diameters from the same company, there is enough of an advantage once again to help braid cast farther.
Even if so and so claims of 2 lb test size are off, 4-6 lb diamter vs 10 lb... thats substantial.
I think you're dead on right with the actual breaking strength thing.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Limper, better casting, more sensitive, more power ect. Its just better than plastic. Give it a shot and you'll see.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:43 pm

LowRange wrote:Limper, better casting, more sensitive, more power ect. Its just better than plastic. Give it a shot and you'll see.
Allright guys, I'm going Sufix 832 since it's 8 strand, tightly woven, and I've heard the gore strand in that thing gives it a little less buoyancy compared to other braids which float like a lifejacket.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:23 pm

The 832 is great line,however do yourself a favor and also take a look at maxima braid
Happiness is a sore thumb

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:31 am

Which lb test should I get? I have a 10lb Spiderwire Fluorobraid which is scary thin, almost SHARP with its .0069in(.175mm) diameter and I can't believe people are actually using that thin a braid for baitcasting. Wouldn't any accidental backlash be a disaster? But then again, if I used heavier braid I'd be missing out the braid's biggest advantage.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:48 am

Prancing Pony wrote:Which lb test should I get? I have a 10lb Spiderwire Fluorobraid which is scary thin, almost SHARP with its .0069in(.175mm) diameter and I can't believe people are actually using that thin a braid for baitcasting. Wouldn't any accidental backlash be a disaster? But then again, if I used heavier braid I'd be missing out the braid's biggest advantage.
What baits are you throwing? This generally informs my line choice way more than any actual or perceived distance advantage.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:53 am

Prancing Pony wrote:...I believe its advantage is greatly diminished when it's soaked with water. Braided line is virtually a long, thin piece of sponge and loves to stick to other stuff when it's wet...
Since polyethylene itself does not soak in water , water entering the open weave is what I assume you are talking about .
And I think you may be surprised at how little water actually fits in between the weave, especially after essentially being wrung out via going over the spool under tension . If you are concerned I suggest the tighest weave possible.
The size test depends on application, spools , etc. I use 6 and 10 on my Alphas Ito and Hedgehog Zonda respectively with no issues , but with shallow spools.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:17 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:What baits are you throwing? This generally informs my line choice way more than any actual or perceived distance advantage.
Spoons and inline spinners, around 3/16oz.
Mike and Pike wrote:If you are concerned I suggest the tighest weave possible.
The size test depends on application, spools , etc. I use 6 and 10 on my Alphas Ito and Hedgehog Zonda respectively with no issues , but with shallow spools.
Can you recommend some braids with tight weave? I see manufacturers bragging about how many strands they have but no one tells me how tight their weave is with the exception of the Sufix 832.
And where did you buy your braids? Most US manufacturers and distributors seriously understate their line's lb test, it's mind boggling - an US 20lb test is as heavy as a non-US 35lb test. Check out the Sufix's international and US webpages.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:13 am

Prancing Pony wrote:
facelessnewsouth wrote:What baits are you throwing? This generally informs my line choice way more than any actual or perceived distance advantage.
Spoons and inline spinners, around 3/16oz.
Mike and Pike wrote:If you are concerned I suggest the tighest weave possible.
Can you recommend some braids with tight weave? I see manufacturers bragging about how many strands they have but no one tells me how tight their weave is with the exception of the Sufix 832.
And where did you buy your braids? Most US manufacturers and distributors seriously understate their line's lb test, it's mind boggling - an US 20lb test is as heavy as a non-US 35lb test. Check out the Sufix's international and US webpages.
I honestly can not point you to a super tight weave because I had never felt an issue with my lines being loose.
I use PP Slick 8, Smackdown and J Braid generally. Breaking strength labels ( like lure weight labels...) strangely enough do not seem to be accurate , but it (the average braid label) is usually under stated rather than over rated, from what I have found.
Look at braid diameters. Those should be closer to accurate.
Last edited by Mike and Pike on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:15 am

I am using 6-10 lb braid for 3/16 spoons and spinners with zero issue.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:57 am

Mike and Pike wrote:Since polyethylene itself does not soak in water , water entering the open weave is what I assume you are talking about .
Some of the lines experienced their coatings wear off and the line weaves relax and water soaks into the weave itself. Also water tension / stick is greater on braid than mono due to the rougher surface of braid.

All different grades of braid but they're mostly similar in their water holding after some amount of use.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:39 am

Slazmo wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:Since polyethylene itself does not soak in water , water entering the open weave is what I assume you are talking about .
Some of the lines experienced their coatings wear off and the line weaves relax and water soaks into the weave itself. Also water tension / stick is greater on braid than mono due to the rougher surface of braid.

All different grades of braid but they're mostly similar in their water holding after some amount of use.
The more the weave opens , the more water can get into the space between the PE. PE iteself can not absorb water. Sort of an oil and water thing...
There is more surface area on mono than braid . PE is very slick stuff. I would bet there is more friction , equal pound test, with mono than braid.
And again, if you have a lot ( making it cast shorter than mono) of water inside the weave of your braind after it has gone over a bunch of guides and then wrapped (wrung out) around a spool, something is wrong.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:42 am

Mike and Pike wrote:I am using 6-10 lb braid for 3/16 spoons and spinners with zero issue.
Is your spool very shallow?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:47 am

my reco is you start with 40# and work you way down. 30# green is as low as I go on a baitcaster.

The baitcaster you use and your motion will impact any wind knots you might get.

while I'm a huge fan of braid, several places I don't like it- C-Rigs, Swimbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and topwaters.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:50 am

Prancing Pony wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:I am using 6-10 lb braid for 3/16 spoons and spinners with zero issue.
Is your spool very shallow?
Yup, I mentioned that. Very shallow. But I have used a fair amount of ten on a few reels with deep spools also. Winding the base on super tight is the key. Never had any issues at all.