How well does braided line cast on a baitcaster?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How well does braided line cast on a baitcaster?

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:33 am

When I hear back from a few companies a new thread is exactly what I plan.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:30 am

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but here it is anyway:
Comparing braid to fluoro is like apples to oranges. Whether fish are line shy or not, fluoro is advantageous for its slack-line sensitivity, abrasion resistance, and the fact that it sinks. Braid is advantageous for its lack of stretch, its taught-line sensitivity, and its propensity to saw through vegetation.

They both cast just fine on casting reels, though braid probably gets the edge on distance, it doesn't make that much difference. Fluoro gets the edge on visibility, but it's still quite visible, so it probably doesn't make that much difference. I've read that breaking up the outline of your line by coloring a few inches here and there with a sharpie is one of the most effective means of camouflage. Choose the type of line that works best with your bait and the cover you're fishing and don't worry about line visibility. Successful presentation of your bait is paramount.

Personally, I prefer braid for moving baits, especially with glass rods, and fluoro for bottom contact, but will switch to fluoro when cranking around rip-rap and braid when flipping thick vegetation (not wood.) Mono is best for topwater, especially walking baits, but braid will work just fine if you don't mind a tangle here and there.
This is the way.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:14 am

One bonus for me when I color the first 4'+- of my braid with a black sharpie is that it makes it a little stiffer, which helps me thread it through sinkers and punch skirts.
I reapply it once a month+-.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:08 am

poisonokie wrote:I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but here it is anyway:
Comparing braid to fluoro is like apples to oranges. Whether fish are line shy or not, fluoro is advantageous for its slack-line sensitivity, abrasion resistance, and the fact that it sinks. Braid is advantageous for its lack of stretch, its taught-line sensitivity, and its propensity to saw through vegetation.

They both cast just fine on casting reels, though braid probably gets the edge on distance, it doesn't make that much difference. Fluoro gets the edge on visibility, but it's still quite visible, so it probably doesn't make that much difference. I've read that breaking up the outline of your line by coloring a few inches here and there with a sharpie is one of the most effective means of camouflage. Choose the type of line that works best with your bait and the cover you're fishing and don't worry about line visibility. Successful presentation of your bait is paramount.

Personally, I prefer braid for moving baits, especially with glass rods, and fluoro for bottom contact, but will switch to fluoro when cranking around rip-rap and braid when flipping thick vegetation (not wood.) Mono is best for topwater, especially walking baits, but braid will work just fine if you don't mind a tangle here and there.
All excellent points. Other than a frog, I would never throw straight braid on a topwater. A mono leader saves lots of problems with hooks fouling the line and ruining your presentation.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:02 am

All excellent points. Other than a frog, I would never throw straight braid on a topwater. A mono leader saves lots of problems with hooks fouling the line and ruining your presentation.[/quote]

The only time i really have trouble and tie on a leader is when there's a prop at the front of the bait. Mono is definitely best, but I'm leery of leaders with expensive hardbaits. I should probably dedicate one reel to mono...
This is the way.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:29 am

I only have to use a mono leader with walking baits.