How well does braided line cast on a baitcaster?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How well does braided line cast on a baitcaster?

Post by Prancing Pony » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:53 am

Okay, I see. Thank you very much for your help. Really appreciate it.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:One reason guys upsize with braid is that it has zero stretch.
When that second or third lure goes flying off on a not so horrible backlash that would have been handled a bit better by flouro stretch , ya know that braid has it's downsides too.
I use 50lb braid for my Huds and Whopper Ploppers.
With heavier baits, I've found that they load the rod so well that I can use a drop down of only 6-8". If I use a longer drop down, I have to back off on my cast, or risk a UFO, when the extra loading caused the spool to over rev and backlash, releasing my lure from it's earth bound shackles. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

gumbygold
Angler
Angler

Post by gumbygold » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:52 am

I use 832 on 3 of my BC, 20lb and 30lb test. Zero issues and it handles very well for me. I typically use a fluro leader as well.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 am

gumbygold wrote:I use 832 on 3 of my BC, 20lb and 30lb test. Zero issues and it handles very well for me. I typically use a fluro leader as well.
That 20lb of yours might just not be 20lb. Check out this another post I've made.
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=74502

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:58 pm

For most of my fishing I use baitcasters and almost only use braid, sometimes mono, and never fluoro. I have not noticed a difference in casting distance (thin braid vs thin mono), but appreciate that braid is so long-lasting with no memory.

For trout and perch fishing, I use mostly 0.12mm (about 10lb) and up to 0.16mm (15lb ?) if big trout >10lb are in the water. I have had zero issues with the thin braid no matter if it has been 4 or 8 strand or on shallow or normal spools. The lures I use are primarily small spinners and less often spoons or minnows/crankbaits.
For pike fishing, I use thick braid (0.35 mm) only to keep my lures from leaving the planet if I have a backlash. With very little talent, big pike can be caught on the very same 0.12mm that I use for trout.
I dislike leaders but use them for pike - thick mono/fluoro or titanium...

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Dalleinf wrote:For most of my fishing I use baitcasters and almost only use braid, sometimes mono, and never fluoro. I have not noticed a difference in casting distance (thin braid vs thin mono), but appreciate that braid is so long-lasting with no memory.

For trout and perch fishing, I use mostly 0.12mm (about 10lb) and up to 0.16mm (15lb ?) if big trout >10lb are in the water. I have had zero issues with the thin braid no matter if it has been 4 or 8 strand or on shallow or normal spools. The lures I use are primarily small spinners and less often spoons or minnows/crankbaits.
For pike fishing, I use thick braid (0.35 mm) only to keep my lures from leaving the planet if I have a backlash. With very little talent, big pike can be caught on the very same 0.12mm that I use for trout.
I keep hearing from people again and again that they couldn't see much difference in casting distance between mono and braid, which translates into that if you use those new premium fluoros that are as supple as mono there won't be much difference between fluoro and braid as well in regards to casting distance.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:08 pm

As mentioned, I have no experience with fluoro - you may be right. With regard to casting distance and mono vs braid, I compare thin mono <10lb to thin braid, and I should emphasise that I have never made exact measurements...just my impression.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:06 pm

Prancing Pony wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:For most of my fishing I use baitcasters and almost only use braid, sometimes mono, and never fluoro. I have not noticed a difference in casting distance (thin braid vs thin mono), but appreciate that braid is so long-lasting with no memory.

I keep hearing from people again and again that they couldn't see much difference in casting distance between mono and braid, which translates into that if you use those new premium fluoros that are as supple as mono there won't be much difference between fluoro and braid as well in regards to casting distance.
I' d like to hear from these people and see how they back up their claims. Because there certainly is a difference for numerous reasons mentioned in this thread by different people.
Again , there are a few downfalls in areas for braid, but the ability to cast the farthest is not an issue .

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:49 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:
Prancing Pony wrote:

I' d like to hear from these people and see how they back up their claims. Because there certainly is a difference for numerous reasons mentioned in this thread by different people.
Again , there are a few downfalls in areas for braid, but the ability to cast the farthest is not an issue .
Above I gave my personal experience. I feel that I cast farther with braid vs mono on spinning reels while I note no material difference on a baitcaster. I have not measured my casting length.
In this article - in Danish - international casting competitor Bue Poulsen uses mono and braid on spinning reels and mono on a baitcaster. The mono is 8lb or so. I cannot recall the exact lure he uses - but I guess a plug for seatrout around 3/4 oz. The baitcasters he uses are Abu Revos and an old Abu Mag from yesteryear.
He gets an average of approx 103-108 meter on both mono and braid and spinning and baitcatser. He gets slightly further uing a larger spinning reel and a longer rod - but not much.
http://www.fiskogfri.dk/artikler/kast-l ... pa-kysten/

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:07 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:
Prancing Pony wrote:

Above I gave my personal experience. I feel that I cast farther with braid vs mono on spinning reels while I note no material difference on a baitcaster. I have not measured my casting length.
In this article - in Danish - international casting competitor Bue Poulsen uses mono and braid on spinning reels and mono on a baitcaster. The mono is 8lb or so. I cannot recall the exact lure he uses - but I guess a plug for seatrout around 3/4 oz. The baitcasters he uses are Abu Revos and an old Abu Mag from yesteryear.
He gets an average of approx 103-108 meter on both mono and braid and spinning and baitcatser. He gets slightly further uing a larger spinning reel and a longer rod - but not much.
Even with an uneven translation, that was fun read! Thanks.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:35 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:
Prancing Pony wrote:

Not be able to translate or read that post are both you and the competitive caster using the same exact breaking strength braid as mono?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:48 am

I use 0.12-0.16mm braid (about 10-15lb) and 0.25-0.30mm mono (about 8-10lb) on my baitcasters.

He uses 0.16mm braid (about 15lb) and 0.20mm mono (about 4-6lb).
When he increases the thickness of the mono on the baitcaster to 0.26mm he only loses 1 meter or so in casting length (but on a different reel).

We all cast a little differently I guess. I will never achieve his casting length. I "feel" that I increase my casting length "significantly" on a spinning reel when going from mono to braid. I do not "feel" that braid improves my casting length compared to mono when using a baitcaster. I still prefer braid.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:52 am

The article shows a figure with blue bars that detail average casting distance after 6 casts with each combo - below it says "flet" (braid) and nylon/mono. The first three bars are with "multihjul" (baitcaster) and the next three are with "fastspolehjul" (spinning reel).

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:02 am

Dalleinf wrote:I use 0.12-0.16mm braid (about 10-15lb) and 0.25-0.30mm mono (about 8-10lb) on my baitcasters.

He uses 0.16mm braid (about 15lb) and 0.20mm mono (about 4-6lb).
When he increases the thickness of the mono on the baitcaster to 0.26mm he only loses 1 meter or so in casting length (but on a different reel).

We all cast a little differently I guess. I will never achieve his casting length. I "feel" that I increase my casting length "significantly" on a spinning reel when going from mono to braid. I do not "feel" that braid improves my casting length compared to mono when using a baitcaster. I still prefer braid.
To quantify which casts further you need to use the same breaking strength .
I would expect 8 pound mono to cast "better " ( at least farther...) than hundred pound braid ,as an exaggerated example.
Using an example of apples to apples in tensile breaking strength, I would expect 20 lb braid to cast further than 20 lb mono.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:27 am

I disagree. For practical purposes, I will always use a lower breaking strength mono than braid. I much prefer to look at the two lines I intend to use for a specific purpose. Breaking strength seems to be poorly validated/standardized and seems to differ widely by various manufacturers and with some intra-manufacturer difference for different markets (EU, US, JP).

https://www.henry-gilbey.com/blog/pe-ra ... m-confused