How well does braided line cast on a baitcaster?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How well does braided line cast on a baitcaster?

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am

There must be a magic spell that makes it invisible to fish but not to humans or cameras.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am

LowRange wrote:If you would like proof that fluro is not invisible under watet then fill up a glass water and stick #20 fluro in it. Does it dissapear or does it not?
You are stuck on that word invisible, in it's literal sense.
Less visible to fish under water .
If we want to split hairs and blow minds...I use all kinds of flouro that floats!!!! If you can cite any scientific study saying mono and flouro are equal in their ability to be hard to detect by fish in water , you win.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:50 am

LowRange wrote:There must be a magic spell that makes it invisible to fish but not to humans or cameras.
Have you read up on pjnk flouro that we humans can see just fine? And do you know the reasoning behind usi ng this line we can see well when it is out of the water?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:54 am

I need proof that a pink object disapears under water because refractive index. An explanation would be even better.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 am

LowRange wrote:I need proof that a pink object disapears under water because refractive index. An explanation would be even better.
As I have stated more than once, refractive index is only part of the formula and only part of the reasoning behind the use of flouro over mono. I assume this is your answer to my question as to your knowledge of why pink flouro is produced.
You know that nylon absorbs water and flouro does not?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Non biased lighting conditions.
https://youtu.be/8EHnxsLu69o

Biased lighting. Brighter lighting behind the mono section to highlight the mono line. Notice that when the mono is moved into the darker area where the fluro resides it becomes harder to see.
https://youtu.be/YpgGfm6Q0rY

It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 pm

A hint, red ***appears*** grayer the deeper it sinks.
Red up top but not in the water...hmmm. I wonder in what other ways perception is altered.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:08 pm

LowRange wrote:
It's a conspiracy I tell ya.
OMG.
If anyone here is claiming there's a conspiracy it's obviously you. Do I really need to bring up all of the literature from all of the fishing companies? And if I do, will you say they are all trying to tell us something that is not true???
Look up thr word conspiracy.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:
LowRange wrote:I need proof that a pink object disapears under water because refractive index. An explanation would be even better.
As I have stated more than once, refractive index is only part of the formula and only part of the reasoning behind the use of flouro over mono. I assume this is your answer to my question as to your knowledge of why pink flouro is produced.
Wait, are you aserting that their claims of invisibility due to chemical composition are true because why else would they make it in pink?

I use fluro over mono too. I like the uv and abrasion resistance as well as increased sensitivity. Just because I don't believe that it is invisible under water because refractive index does not mean that I don't use the stuff. My biggest gripe with it is the horrid managibilty more than anything.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:26 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:
Wait, are you aserting that their claims of invisibility due to chemical composition are true because why else would they make it in pink?

I use fluro over mono too. I like the uv and abrasion resistance as well as increased sensitivity. Just because I don't believe that it is invisible under water because refractive index does not mean that I don't use the stuff. My biggest gripe with it is the horrid managibilty more than anything.
Once again, there are more variables than simply refraction or lack of . And the fact that all of the companies do not necessarily go into exteme scientific explaination is multi-faceted, I am sure.There are also more variables than color and refraction, I would guess.
Pink/red line is used specifically for deeper applications due to perception changes at different depths .
I use flouro for leaders mainly. I tie my own tapered fly leaders and have for about 40 years. In fly fishing line perception avoidance is often crucial.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:A hint, red ***appears*** grayer the deeper it sinks.
Red up top but not in the water...hmmm. I wonder in what other ways perception is altered.
That's not a very good hint. The loss of color of a red object underwater has nothing to do with refractive index although it is neat. Fluorocarbon being invisible under water because it is close to the refractive index of water is what we are talking about but we can argue about something else too.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:29 pm

So uh...does braided line cast well on a baitcaster or...? ;)

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 pm

I am enjoying and learning a lot from your discussion and I really appreciate it but now you guys are wandering a bit off the topic! =D>

To the braid users, I'd very much like to know the frequency of backlashes when going straight fluoro vs braid+leader, with the leader about 5ft long. Has your FG knot ever got caught at the guides? From what I've heard from a couple other anglers is that while it's fine most of the time, you still run into those occasional knot-induced backlashes that you could have avoided if you'd used straight fluoro.

I am more than willing to put braid on my baitcaster if the braid is as reliable as, if not more so, than straight fluoro.
Last edited by Prancing Pony on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:40 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:A hint, red ***appears*** grayer the deeper it sinks.
That's not a very good hint. The loss of color of a red object underwater has nothing to do with refractive index although it is neat. Fluorocarbon being invisible under water because it is close to the refractive index of water is what we are talking about but we can argue about something else too.
It was a sledgehammer hint. :lol:
This must be the third or fourth time I have stated other variables at work and the second time I have stated that just because all the businesses that make flouro line put refraction index in their explainations does not by any means mean that they are saying it is 100% of the reason for it's stated invisability.
Not every consumer needs/wants to read refraction charts, color perception charts, and all of the potential reasons why the line has been working as " invisible to the fish in the water".
And, if we strickly wish to argue refraction, please cite a study using line (surely they exist). This is what happens when one person makes claims against a whole industry. Just cite an example. You can not be the first/ only guy with your stance, if your reasoning is sound.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:40 pm

papabassin wrote:So uh...does braided line cast well on a baitcaster or...? ;)
Hahaha!
+1