SS SV drag?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SS SV drag?

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:32 pm

I've had the reel for a couple of years now and it doesn't get as much use as it should. The main limitation is that the drag is weak. Has anyone found a way of improving the drag power on these reels?

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: SS SV drag?

Post by Montanaro » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:21 pm

Carbontex washers?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Would they increase the drag power though?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:08 am

I swapped out to a zaion drag and installed an extra friction washer underneath it so it would actually lock down and that helped considerably over stock. Don't really know why, and I use it for finesse so I never need much drag, anyway, but it's got better modulation now, too.
This is the way.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:03 am

What is the friction washer? The curved pair of washers, a metal flat washer in the drag stack, fibre washer in drag stack? Sounds like you've got it working. Which Zaion star drag do you need to fit?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:11 am

Wouldn't an upgraded drag stack for a Steez be compatible?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:What is the friction washer? The curved pair of washers, a metal flat washer in the drag stack, fibre washer in drag stack? Sounds like you've got it working. Which Zaion star drag do you need to fit?
It's the washer that fits in between the inside of the drag star and the spring washers. I just ordered the one for the tatula type r along with the type r drag star.
This is the way.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:48 pm

LowRange wrote:Wouldn't an upgraded drag stack for a Steez be compatible?
I think the Steez is a multi washer stack where the SS SV is a single washer drag. Not sure if the Steez parts would fit. Daiwa has an annoying history of producing feeble drags which they're only really addressing in the most recent reels.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:48 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tim Kelly wrote:What is the friction washer? The curved pair of washers, a metal flat washer in the drag stack, fibre washer in drag stack? Sounds like you've got it working. Which Zaion star drag do you need to fit?
It's the washer that fits in between the inside of the drag star and the spring washers. I just ordered the one for the tatula type r along with the type r drag star.
Thank you. Is the star drag needed, or just the friction washer?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:31 am

Tim Kelly wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
Thank you. Is the star drag needed, or just the friction washer?
I dont know. I didn't try it that way. I just know that if you want the longer arm zaion star, you have to take up space somewhere underneath it or it won't lock down. I like the drag performance better after having made those changes.
This is the way.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 am

OK thanks