Zero adjuster

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zero adjuster

Post by Randingo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 am

Tony9 wrote:Does this mainly apply to SV spool equipped reels? How about regular Magforce Z reels?
There's not a reel I own (85% Daiwa) that I ever adjust the spool tension knob after initially setting it for virtually no side to side play on the spool. Maybe while I learn to skip, but I'm going to try it without...

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:23 am

Tony9 wrote:Does this mainly apply to SV spool equipped reels? How about regular Magforce Z reels?
I have my EX100XS adjusted the same way. I adjust the spool tension knob until there is no play then back off one click. Then I turn the Magforce Z cast control up a minimal amount (around 6 on the dial). After this I rarely (as in almost never) have to adjust anything and it works like a dream.

I will be sending this reel off to get tuned along with some zpi's once it is ready for a cleaning.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:13 pm

klondike1024 wrote:
I have my EX100XS adjusted the same way. I adjust the spool tension knob until there is no play then back off one click. Then I turn the Magforce Z cast control up a minimal amount (around 6 on the dial). After this I rarely (as in almost never) have to adjust anything and it works like a dream.

I will be sending this reel off to get tuned along with some zpi's once it is ready for a cleaning.
Cool. All my Daiwa reels have SV spools so I also set it up that way. I recently picked up a Tatula CT and it's my only Magforce Z reel so I guess it's recommended for Mag Z brakes too.

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:21 am

Tony9 wrote:
klondike1024 wrote:

Cool. All my Daiwa reels have SV spools so I also set it up that way. I recently picked up a Tatula CT and it's my only Magforce Z reel so I guess it's recommended for Mag Z brakes too.
Yes. I have an EX100HS with Magforce Z braking. It has been super tuned by Ian with a tuned SV103 spool and ZPI's. The reel is an absolute dream to use. With the tune on the SV103 spool it lightens up the braking and it works insanely well with the Magforce braking in the EX100HS. The ZPI's just make everything feel a touch more effortless.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:28 am

klondike1024 wrote:
Tony9 wrote:
klondike1024 wrote:

Yes. I have an EX100HS with Magforce Z braking. It has been super tuned by Ian with a tuned SV103 spool and ZPI's. The reel is an absolute dream to use. With the tune on the SV103 spool it lightens up the braking and it works insanely well with the Magforce braking in the EX100HS. The ZPI's just make everything feel a touch more effortless.
I know exactly what you mean. I recently got back an Alphas SV from Ian with the works and spool tuning. It was already an excellent caster, now it's a casting machine!

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:42 pm

What actually is Zero Adjuster?

In my Hedgehog's Air BFS bearings was different shim plates. I added one acc. to directions. Now it seems that my Alphas spool tension works strangely. While loosening spool tension there doesn't appear spool loose side-by side movement when tension is correctly adjusted. Instead of that correct spool tension adjustement has to be found by visual by rotating spool. Is there now Zero Adjuster in my Alphas?

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:22 pm

My Coastal SV was horribly overbraked until I loosened the zero adjuster up. In fact its the only thing I don't like about the reel, Id much rather have a regular spoon tension knob.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:40 pm

Me too. I think I'm going to remove shim plates from my Alphas. I hate adjusting Zero Adjuster. Without Zero adjuster tension is much easier to adjust as should.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:56 pm

I didn't find it that difficult to turn the knob on my Elites. I needed to take it back just a hair because it was a little slow for my tastes. Now, I'll likely never touch it again, unless some magical aftermarket spool catches my eye. I think the thing gets blown out of proportion, to be honest.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:02 am

I change spools and there is a little of differences in length of axles. And it's pain in the ass to adjust Zero Adjusted spool.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:36 am

It can be used, but I have found it useless / it make things more complicated. With Zero Adjuster spool tension adjusting is not anymore that easy, just adjust tension to zero and it's ready. With Zero adjuster it needed to rotate spool and visually inspect when there is no tension.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:23 am

Because there slightly is different lentghs of axles in different spools and spool tension must be adjusted when spool is changed. And in case of Zero Adjuster adjusting is not that easy than it is without Zero Adjuster. (Ok, it's not 'hard' to adjust with Zero Adjuster, but without Zero Adjuster it still is easier.)

And I still don't get the point of Zero Adjuster. Spool tension must be set to zero in both cases, Zero Adjuster or without Zero Adjuster. And it shouldn't be adjusted after that until spool is changed, then slight adjustment might be needed.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:52 am

Yes, I use third party spools.

I don't have Zero Adjuster in my sv Zillion, but I use Steez spools for that. There is slight difference in length of axles steez vs. zillion.

Yes, I can easily live with Zero Adjuster. But I would be happier if that wasn't invented.

For several years I wondered what the heck is Zero Adjuster. Now I have tried it and now I'm thinking what the heck is Zero Adjuster.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:37 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:42 pm
What actually is Zero Adjuster?

In my Hedgehog's Air BFS bearings was different shim plates. I added one acc. to directions. Now it seems that my Alphas spool tension works strangely. While loosening spool tension there doesn't appear spool loose side-by side movement when tension is correctly adjusted. Instead of that correct spool tension adjustement has to be found by visual by rotating spool. Is there now Zero Adjuster in my Alphas?
Zero adjuster is a spool tension knob that is hard to turn to discourage you from tightening it and choking your cast. That's it. It is a knob that is hard to turn. Don't turn it.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:35 am

OK, thanks, Now I get it what Zero Adjuster is! I thought it wrong! It has nothing to do with different thickness shim plates that arrived with BFS bearings. ...OK, knob is hard to turn=Zero Adjuster...

That might be OK. But I don't want that either :) Because I like to use a variety of spools and axles are not precise same lenght.