Casitas vs. MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
basscrusher
Angler
Angler

Casitas vs. MGL

Post by basscrusher » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:04 am

So I've read all the threads, and the TT review of the Casitas MGL, and lots of other relevant info. I'm strongly considering one. But I have one question so far that none of my research has addressed: how much of an improvement is the casitas MGL over the regular Casitas? I'm asking for several reasons. First, lots of people have remarked at how well the USDM casitas casts. Second, does anybody know what the spool weight on the USDM version? I get the feeling it might not be much more than the MGL spool. Third, I'm wondering how much of the Casitas' castability is because of MGL spool vs. improved braking system.

If anybody has input, I'd love to hear it. I'm fully aware that there probably aren't many people who have both the MGL and USDM versions to compare head to head, but if anybody does, please offer your thoughts.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Casitas vs. MGL

Post by arrowslinger1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 am

Not sure about the casitas, but for the same price (on here) you can pick up a curado 70 that would have the alum frame. They are are a great little reel for the money and would probably feel more refined. Again haven't fished the casitas... just thinking out loud.

basscrusher
Angler
Angler

Post by basscrusher » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:56 am

arrowslinger1 wrote:Not sure about the casitas, but for the same price (on here) you can pick up a curado 70 that would have the alum frame. They are are a great little reel for the money and would probably feel more refined. Again haven't fished the casitas... just thinking out loud.

already have 2 Curado 70s. Was thinking about the Casitas for the 6.3:1 option.

Otherwise a good thought.

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:57 am

I have had the regular one for a while and love it. I just received my mgl today and am excited to compare the two. Will post results when available.

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am

i had a casitas last year. I sold it pretty quick as i just liked the curado 70 better. There was nothing the casitas did better than the 70, so i sold it and bought another 70

basscrusher
Angler
Angler

Post by basscrusher » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm

skunked wrote:I have had the regular one for a while and love it. I just received my mgl today and am excited to compare the two. Will post results when available.
Awesome. Very eager to hear your conclusions. Thanks.

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Here is a youtube video about the comparision of the Metanium MGL with the Chronarch MGL and the Casitas MGL: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6sML3-AmLjY

I would like a mixture of these three models with the frame of the Metanium, the gear of the Chronarch and the price of the Casitas... :lol:
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:50 pm

I think you'll be better off with a curado 70 than spening $150 on a casitas mgl. It's good low end platform with a great spool but not at $130 plus $20 shipping. If you're after one wait until they are discounted. $100 tyd casitas mgls would be great and i think this is possible seeing how heavily discounted other reels of the same platform have become.

Edit: stock casitas spool weighs 14.14 grams and the mgl spool comes in under 13 grams. Not a huge difference but once spooled with line the mgl should be significantly lighter and do a bit better with sub 1/4 oz baits.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:44 pm

I am surprised the Casitas isn't an absolute casting machine... 12.something gram spool, SVS braking, adjustable externally, etc. With all these features, why doesn't it top other reels??? Do tolerances of machining and bearing qualities come into play? I am very happy with my Chronarch MGL, it's a great caster, just strange to me that with similar (if not better) numbers on paper that the Casitas MGL isn't more highly regarged.

So basically, why with awesome specs doesn't the Casitas MGL outperform others?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:58 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I am surprised the Casitas isn't an absolute casting machine... 12.something gram spool, SVS braking, adjustable externally, etc. With all these features, why doesn't it top other reels??? Do tolerances of machining and bearing qualities come into play? I am very happy with my Chronarch MGL, it's a great caster, just strange to me that with similar (if not better) numbers on paper that the Casitas MGL isn't more highly regarged.

They're great casting reels. Even the regular casitas spool weighs 14 grams and has SVS. I've got the mgl but at $150 I think I should have bought a scorpion 70 instead. The casitas is a a good reel under $80 and the mgl variant has bfs potential but $150 tyd on the mgl is a bit much for plastic reel. I can get a curado 70 for less than that and a Tatula CT $50 less. Maybe if it had fancy shimano plastic and was a bit more refined then it would be a good buy at $150. They're still a fairly recent release so I imagine it would be reasonable to see them for sale at a discount in the near future.

Edit: I just saw that Tatula SVs can be had for under $150!? Not quite as light weight a spool as the Casitas MGL but it is a friggin SV. My casitas mgl cast far and light weight baits but it's no SV. Compared to an SV it sucks at the other stuff such skipping, bait placement and accuracy.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:55 pm

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I am surprised the Casitas isn't an absolute casting machine... 12.something gram spool, SVS braking, adjustable externally, etc. With all these features, why doesn't it top other reels??? Do tolerances of machining and bearing qualities come into play? I am very happy with my Chronarch MGL, it's a great caster, just strange to me that with similar (if not better) numbers on paper that the Casitas MGL isn't more highly regarged.

They're great casting reels. Even the regular casitas spool weighs 14 grams and has SVS. I've got the mgl but at $150 I think I should have bought a scorpion 70 instead. The casitas is a a good reel under $80 and the mgl variant has bfs potential but $150 tyd on the mgl is a bit much for plastic reel. I can get a curado 70 for less than that and a Tatula CT $50 less. Maybe if it had fancy shimano plastic and was a bit more refined then it would be a good buy at $150. They're still a fairly recent release so I imagine it would be reasonable to see them for sale at a discount in the near future.
Ok well you see where I am coming from... I love my SS/SV, people call it plasticky and hollow, I don't feel that way. I buy my first Shimano, Chronarch MGL, and some call it plasticky but I ABSOLUTELY love it and its one of the best reels I have ever owned. I get it though about the fancy plastic, carbon content (fibers, press, length, ratios, etc.) makes the composites all VERY different. Ci4+ has Abu's C6 stomped for example. I had 2 smallmouth take hard runs on me (around 2 pounders) and could feel the Revo STX20 shifting at the stem, the older Stradic Ci4+ 2500 FA was rock solid and caught the bigger fish at that. I just know from being a Daiwa guy that SV reels are all so drastically different, I didn't expect MGL/SVS infinity to be, just by the mechanical nature and design of the centrifugal brakes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:08 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Ok well you see where I am coming from... I love my SS/SV, people call it plasticky and hollow, I don't feel that way. I buy my first Shimano, Chronarch MGL, and some call it plasticky but I ABSOLUTELY love it and its one of the best reels I have ever owned. I get it though about the fancy plastic, carbon content (fibers, press, length, ratios, etc.) makes the composites all VERY different. Ci4+ has Abu's C6 stomped for example. I had 2 smallmouth take hard runs on me (around 2 pounders) and could feel the Revo STX20 shifting at the stem, the older Stradic Ci4+ 2500 FA was rock solid and caught the bigger fish at that. I just know from being a Daiwa guy that SV reels are all so drastically different, I didn't expect MGL/SVS infinity to be, just by the mechanical nature and design of the centrifugal brakes.

The casitas mgl is a fine reel but it is geary feeling and does have some play in the handle. The low end nature of the platform lets it down in the niceness department. It still palms well, is fairly light weight and is small. It's a great caster too and if you're bank bound, or looking for a search bait reel and value distance over control then like most shimanos, both the casitas and casitas mgl will appeal to you. I've been using mine as a crankbait reel but will be moving it down to a shorter rod as a kayak rig and tossing lighter weight baits with it to get the most out of it. If only it had fancy shimano cI4+ plastic, tighter tolerances and a cheaper price. I'd be a HUGE fan of it then. For what it is, it needs to get under $100 tyd from Japan before I can endorse it.