$200 reel vs $400 reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

$200 reel vs $400 reel

Post by Mattpusa » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:32 am

:-k curious as too what advantages you have with a $400 dollar price ranged reel vs a $200 price ranges reel? Say the aldebaran & steez vs the curado and tatula. I usually stick with the $200 price ranges reels and spend the extra $200 toward a kistler klx or such type rod. If this topic has been covered please let me know.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: $200 reel vs $400 reel

Post by Tony9 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:55 am

Refinement and less weight are the top 2 things that come to mind. Sometimes you get oil and a reel cover too. :lol:

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:48 pm

In some cases it could be collectability. Maybe the reel was a limited production reel or it was sold with items a collect would like like an authentication pin.

I wonder if a reel like the SV103 will eventually gain some collectability since it is now being discontinued and there isn't another current Daiwa production reel utilizing the classic TDZ/Zillion frame.

As mentioned above you may see a few more features. Something like a clicking cast control cap, carbon fiber handle, tighter tollerances, higher grade bearings, a lighter weight reel usually making use of a magnesium frame and very nice casting capabilities.

To some these differnces are worth it especially for enthusiast anglers who want the best that money can buy or would rather have what they feel are fewer high quality outfits over many technique specific outfits.

I have rods from $150 to $550 and reels from $150 to some I am in well over $400 retail or MSRP plus after market parts.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:51 am

Its all going to bear down to what you are looking to get in the reel. They all dont do the same things, and depending on manufacturer will vary what makes them $200 to $400. I can tell you that when you get into the $400 in the Shimano or Daiwa reels, you are getting just that. As opposed to getting a $400 Lews/Abu/13/etc.. You have to look into the features. For instance, I had to pick up a Steez when the price was right on one to see what all the hype was about, and it was sold off shortly after for a small profit as it doesnt fit my style of fishing.
<")))><{

robster80
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robster80 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:39 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Its all going to bear down to what you are looking to get in the reel. They all dont do the same things, and depending on manufacturer will vary what makes them $200 to $400. I can tell you that when you get into the $400 in the Shimano or Daiwa reels, you are getting just that. As opposed to getting a $400 Lews/Abu/13/etc.. You have to look into the features. For instance, I had to pick up a Steez when the price was right on one to see what all the hype was about, and it was sold off shortly after for a small profit as it doesnt fit my style of fishing.

What did u not like about the Steez?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:16 am

robster80 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Its all going to bear down to what you are looking to get in the reel. They all dont do the same things, and depending on manufacturer will vary what makes them $200 to $400. I can tell you that when you get into the $400 in the Shimano or Daiwa reels, you are getting just that. As opposed to getting a $400 Lews/Abu/13/etc.. You have to look into the features. For instance, I had to pick up a Steez when the price was right on one to see what all the hype was about, and it was sold off shortly after for a small profit as it doesnt fit my style of fishing.

What did u not like about the Steez?
For one it didnt palm well for me. And personally for the money, it didnt seem to perform any better than a Alphas SV did. I know have a Pixy PX68R that is really impressive, and that reel I would take over a Steez any day. I guess because that and the TDZ were the 2 reels that were held high to the Daiwa standards at the time, but now its a different story with the performance you can get for the dollar. Im really not over thrilled with todays offerings from Daiwa or Shimano.
<")))><{

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:01 am

Refinement for sure. Compare a Fuego to a TDZ or an SS SV to a Steez. They are very similiar but the more expensive versions are tighter and smoother. Same goes for a Curado E vs a Chronarch D. When you fish both, you can feel why you are paying more for one vs the other.

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:02 am

So let's say spool clacking won't be an issue when I cast my reel after many uses? Only reason I brought these up is I've caught many fish on my 13 fishing concept a and it's starting to clack :laugh1: I've been calling it the screaming eagle.

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:07 am

Also what do you mean by they all don't do the same things?

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:43 pm

$200 reels these days are pretty good
I would be perfectly happy with a a couple of sv tats :D
Happiness is a sore thumb

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Mattpusa wrote:
Also what do you mean by they all don't do the same things?
You have different braking systems, different spools, different drags, which all make the reels perform different in their own way.
<")))><{

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:23 am

Ok if anyone can answer this.

What does the curado have that the tatula doesn't and vice Versa?

What does the aldebaran have that the steez doesn't and vice Versa?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:26 am

Mattpusa wrote:Ok if anyone can answer this.

What does the curado have that the tatula doesn't and vice Versa?

What does the aldebaran have that the steez doesn't and vice Versa?
Shimanos have centrifugal brakes, and Daiwas have magnetic brakes. :lol:
<")))><{

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:57 am

between brand comparisons not fair as some braking systems work better for some casters then others.

within a brand, refinement, weight and the claim you have a better reel.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:04 am

... and resale value. I'd venture most two bill options won't fetch much used on open market. I'm not going into tolerance, durability, performance, but fact is less high end options are available. Both now and later.
PEACE