Shimano Metanium MG7 in saltwater

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
breamtim
Angler
Angler

Shimano Metanium MG7 in saltwater

Post by breamtim » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi guys

I'm after a new general purpose casting reel, and been looking at picking up a second hand Metanium MG7. But I've heard that the Metanium MGs aren't made for saltwater use, and also heard that many people have had no troubles in years of use with Shimano MG reels. I'm going to be using this reel a lot in saltwater in the next few months, in Northern Australia. So is it worth taking the risk and buying one, and cleaning it after each trip, or looking at something else a little more salt friendly?
Thanks

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Metanium MG7 in saltwater

Post by metanium » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:32 pm

I've known of several guys who fish the Metanium, Aldebaran & Cores in the salt without issues. The Metanium has aluminum gears that some consider inferior to brass under heavy use. The brass Core gears are interchangeable with the Metanium MG/MG7: