School me on the topic of Shimano DC reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

School me on the topic of Shimano DC reels

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:17 am

looking into getting a DC7 Scorpion. Does the chip really help any? Just curious if it is actually worth having or not.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: School me on the topic of Shimano DC reels

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:30 am

Are you talking about the latest scorpion DC or the one that's 2 tone with a red spool?

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:12 am

The older model, with the red spool. It is silver two tone.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:09 pm

earthworm77 wrote:The older model, with the red spool. It is silver two tone.
That one is basically the boring DC reel in the lineup. It prides itself on being geared towards beginners and lacks the DC whine. Not a distance caster and more of a user friendly reel designed for newbie anglers. Unless that is something you want or you are in love with that frame I would skip in favor of just about any other DC reel.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:21 pm

I'd skip that one, it's a hit or miss reel. I've seen videos of it casting a Sammy 80 meters yet mine can't distance cast worth a damn. The new 2017 Scorpion DC is a winner though( I have both), it can do everthing.

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:25 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
I'd skip that one, it's a hit or miss reel. I've seen videos of it casting a Sammy 80 meters yet mine can't distance cast worth a damn. The new 2017 Scorpion DC is a winner though( I have both), it can do everthing.
That reel could have been with a modified DC unit. It was possible in Japan to have Scorpion DC's to be re-programmed to emit less braking force. I've seen one such reel available for sale in Japan.

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Waste of money... learn how to adjust your brakes to accommodate line and lure weight. Practice makes perfect. ](*,) :lol:

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:57 am

surge wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
That reel could have been with a modified DC unit. It was possible in Japan to have Scorpion DC's to be re-programmed to emit less braking force. I've seen one such reel available for sale in Japan.
So I managed to find the re-programming service site. Here's the page showing different braking profiles:

http://www.c-able.ne.jp/~hirai551/dl/dc/

There's also a link to YouTube channel where one can see the re-programming unit. And a Bass One XT modified to use a DC unit.