Problems w/ Zillion SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Problems w/ Zillion SV TW

Post by Houndfish » Wed May 03, 2017 11:03 am

DirtyD64 wrote: Does anyone think that for the lures I am throwing that the Zillion SV will be worth the extra $ or should I just wait for the SV105 to go back super cheap?
I thought the sv105 was discontinued?

I have both reels and prefer the sv105 over the Zillion. It feels more sturdy and is far more comfortable for me. I actually have two of the sv105s, one on a L rod for plastics up to say 3/8oz and one on a ML rod for cranks up to say a 1/2oz lipless. They are both great and the reels will throw as low as the rods will let me.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:28 pm

Houndfish wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote: Does anyone think that for the lures I am throwing that the Zillion SV will be worth the extra $ or should I just wait for the SV105 to go back super cheap?
I thought the sv105 was discontinued?

I have both reels and prefer the sv105 over the Zillion. It feels more sturdy and is far more comfortable for me. I actually have two of the sv105s, one on a L rod for plastics up to say 3/8oz and one on a ML rod for cranks up to say a 1/2oz lipless. They are both great and the reels will throw as low as the rods will let me.
Yes, it is, TW had them on sale extremely cheap though, and I would gladly buy another one of them, save money, and have a smaller reel. I really prefer it over anything else I own. Even though they are going to be discontinued, I am sure I wont ever have a time finding parts for an Alphas style reel.
I wonder if Daiwa will replace with a PIXY TW SV in the future, that could be very interesting...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:58 am

I hate to start new threads for small questions... so, last night I put my Tatula HD handle on my SS/SV (looks pretty good, the silver/gunmetal matches great to the SS/SV body color) and wanted to know if I could order a 100mm Zillion TWS handle for my Zillion SV that is on the way... I then plan on putting the 90mm Zillion SV on the Tatula HD because I don't use it much. I would just keep the 80mm SS handle on the HD but it looks like a T-Rex right now with tiny arms. I don't think it will affect fishing much, just really weird, REALLY weird looking.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 06, 2017 3:06 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I hate to start new threads for small questions... so, last night I put my Tatula HD handle on my SS/SV (looks pretty good, the silver/gunmetal matches great to the SS/SV body color) and wanted to know if I could order a 100mm Zillion TWS handle for my Zillion SV that is on the way... I then plan on putting the 90mm Zillion SV on the Tatula HD because I don't use it much. I would just keep the 80mm SS handle on the HD but it looks like a T-Rex right now with tiny arms. I don't think it will affect fishing much, just really weird, REALLY weird looking.
I think TTT sells 90mm handles from a Tatula and I think they come with knobs too. The DIY carbon handles come in 90mm too and are like $30 but you have to reuse your knobs. There are a lot of options out there for handles.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:51 am

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I hate to start new threads for small questions... so, last night I put my Tatula HD handle on my SS/SV (looks pretty good, the silver/gunmetal matches great to the SS/SV body color) and wanted to know if I could order a 100mm Zillion TWS handle for my Zillion SV that is on the way... I then plan on putting the 90mm Zillion SV on the Tatula HD because I don't use it much. I would just keep the 80mm SS handle on the HD but it looks like a T-Rex right now with tiny arms. I don't think it will affect fishing much, just really weird, REALLY weird looking.
I think TTT sells 90mm handles from a Tatula and I think they come with knobs too. The DIY carbon handles come in 90mm too and are like $30 but you have to reuse your knobs. There are a lot of options out there for handles.
Yeah I have been on TTT's website all day, I just wanted to know if the 100mm Zillion TWS handle will fit on the new Zillion SV TW, I am 95% sure it will. I am then going to take the stock Zillion SV TW 90mm and put it on the Tatula HD (I don't use it very much, would probably sell it even). It looks some kind of strange with an 80mm SS/SV handle on it, but I cannot emphasize enough how good the SS/SV looks with the HD's handle, still looks stock but so much stronger and sleek looking.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:49 am

Well. after some testing I must admit I was wrong. I really loved my SS/SV and still like it pretty good for short work, but now I see what people meant by how much further the Zillion SV casts. I don't have a lot of area to long bomb casts on the river system we fish so extreme distance doesn't always matter, but I finally got to test my brand new Zillion. Spooled with 12lb InvizX (no backing) I noticed with little effort I could outdo my SS/SV (with 1/8 & 3/16) on the same rod/line. So I was very happy because lighter weights is mainly what we fish.
I decided to air out the Zillion SV a bit though so I tied on a bare 3/8 dropshot weight. I was totally amazed by the distance, I threw over the fence that ends the property I was casting on. It really takes little effort too and left me absolutely stunned by its performance. Only negative I could imagine is that I overfilled it slightly but a few trips, lures changes, and snags should fix that.
I say all this because I want to ask if the Zillion SV G1 spool will go into the SS/SV??? I think they are only like $70 and if so, the distance and ease of casting I experienced would be worth it. I just wanted to know if the extreme braking is generally from the spool of or the magnetic sideplate of the SS/SV...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:18 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Well. after some testing I must admit I was wrong. I really loved my SS/SV and still like it pretty good for short work, but now I see what people meant by how much further the Zillion SV casts. I don't have a lot of area to long bomb casts on the river system we fish so extreme distance doesn't always matter, but I finally got to test my brand new Zillion. Spooled with 12lb InvizX (no backing) I noticed with little effort I could outdo my SS/SV (with 1/8 & 3/16) on the same rod/line. So I was very happy because lighter weights is mainly what we fish.
I decided to air out the Zillion SV a bit though so I tied on a bare 3/8 dropshot weight. I was totally amazed by the distance, I threw over the fence that ends the property I was casting on. It really takes little effort too and left me absolutely stunned by its performance. Only negative I could imagine is that I overfilled it slightly but a few trips, lures changes, and snags should fix that.
I say all this because I want to ask if the Zillion SV G1 spool will go into the SS/SV??? I think they are only like $70 and if so, the distance and ease of casting I experienced would be worth it. I just wanted to know if the extreme braking is generally from the spool of or the magnetic sideplate of the SS/SV...
It's really a combination of both. I'm sure adding the Zillion SV TW spool will he, but I wouldn't expect the same results you are getting with the Zillion SV TW.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 14, 2017 9:15 am

Only one way to find out! Drop the TWS SV spool into the SS SV and give it a go.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:39 am

Also, planning on selling some equipment coming up,how does the Tatula SV stack up??? I haven't seen nearly as many review as I expected, just wonder how it is. I casted a friend's with a 3/4 jig but that's not a low enough weight to test it...

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon May 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Zillion SV is an awesome reel , honestly it is one of my all time favorites . Casts amazing with upgraded spool bearings and the drag is strong and very smooth. I have mine with a 95mm Cf handle , black smooth I shaped knobs and exterior parts in hedgehog royal purple . It's a beauty and for $200 I couldn't complain :)

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue May 16, 2017 1:30 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:Zillion SV is an awesome reel , honestly it is one of my all time favorites . Casts amazing with upgraded spool bearings and the drag is strong and very smooth. I have mine with a 95mm Cf handle , black smooth I shaped knobs and exterior parts in hedgehog royal purple . It's a beauty and for $200 I couldn't complain :)
I've seen them for $250 but , not $200 , where are you getting them for $200 ? Thanks

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue May 16, 2017 4:46 am

From a member here a while ago . Best $200 I spent for a reel

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:04 am

I am selling mine. Not sure what is rock solid about this reel - the whole gear side is plastic. Bought another SV103 and TD Zillion with couple of HLC spools instead.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:53 am

surge wrote:I am selling mine. Not sure what is rock solid about this reel - the whole gear side is plastic. Bought another SV103 and TD Zillion with couple of HLC spools instead.
That's not plastic.
This is the way.

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:37 am

poisonokie wrote:
surge wrote:I am selling mine. Not sure what is rock solid about this reel - the whole gear side is plastic. Bought another SV103 and TD Zillion with couple of HLC spools instead.
That's not plastic.
You can call it Zaion, CI4+ or whatever fancy marketing name. At the end of the day it looks like plastic, it feels like plastic, it flexes like plastic.